Hallowed be thy Brain

Infinite Dreamer
This is a question for the thrash fans.

5. Sepultura: Beneath the Remains
4. Havoc: Time is Up
3. Kreator: Pleasure to Kill
2. Exodus: Bonded by Blood
1. Testament: The Legacy

The funny thing about the Big 4 is that none of them have released anything decent in years. And Anthrax is kind of the ugly duckling of the Big 4 that no one really pays attention to.

The funny thing about the Big 4 is that none of them have released anything decent in years. And Anthrax is kind of the ugly duckling of the Big 4 that no one really pays attention to.
Worship Music, Endgame and SOME of Death Magnetic are great. World Painted Blood was kinda good. Other than that one good album per member I agree. Anthrax is the runt of the group.

Worship Music, Endgame and SOME of Death Magnetic are great. World Painted Blood was kinda good. Other than that one good album per member I agree. Anthrax is the runt of the group.

Endgame is a pretty good album I agree, but it's surrounded by such flops in Deth's discography. Is Anthrax even thrash metal anymore?

Endgame is a pretty good album I agree, but it's surrounded by such flops in Deth's discography. Is Anthrax even thrash metal anymore?
I dont know. They've always been the least thrashy of the big 4. (Especially in the 80s when every one else was on speed) Even if they arent thrash it doesnt matter, good music is good music. I recommend you check out Worship Music even if you dont like Anthrax (I only like 3 or 4 of their albums but I was pleasantly surprised.)

Death Magnetic is the only album that makes this statement untrue in my case. With that being said I don't care for Slayer and Anthrax in general, so Big 4 is pretty much Big 2 for me.

Death Magnetic is the only album that makes this statement untrue in my case. With that being said I don't care for Slayer and Anthrax in general, so Big 4 is pretty much Big 2 for me.
I've never seen the big deal about Slayer. I mean, I like Reign in Blood, Hell Awaits, South of Heaven and Seasons but, I dont worship the ground they walk on. Haunting the Chapel is a mess, God Hates Us is blegh and although Christ Illusion and World Painted Blood have good moments they're nothing special. Same can be said for Anthrax.

I always thought the term big four was offending towards Exodus.

Exodus was around before the other four. Basically, they are the first trash band. It's not a huge band, but they were not little either. I just think they had a shitload of bad luck.

Last edited:
I always thought the term big four was offending towards Exodus.

Exodus was around before the other four. Basically, they are the first trash band. It's not a huge band, but they were not little either. I just think they had a shitload of bad luck.
I feel the same way about Testament. They may have come 1 year late but, they're just as influential and probably the most consistent thrash band. They know how to change their sound while still sounding like them (Unlike Slayer who do the same record every time)

Overkill -Feel the Fire, Taking Over, the Years of Decay
Death Angel - Frolic Through the Park
Flotsam & Jetsam - No Place for Disgrace

I've never seen the big deal about Slayer. I mean, I like Reign in Blood, Hell Awaits, South of Heaven and Seasons but, I dont worship the ground they walk on. Haunting the Chapel is a mess, God Hates Us is blegh and although Christ Illusion and World Painted Blood have good moments they're nothing special. Same can be said for Anthrax.

I was never that into Slayer myself. The same-sounding chromatic riffs give me a headache when I'm listening to a whole album, and the salt just gets rubbed in the wound when the soloing starts.

1. Dark Angel - Time Does Not Heal

Don't know much about Dark Angel the band, but the tv show gave the world the gift that is Jessica Alba!
MaxGuerera-DarkAngel.jpg

Back on topic, do early Iced Earth and/or Blind Guardian count as "thrash"? If so, they'd be on my list.

Last edited:
I was never that into Slayer myself. The same-sounding chromatic riffs give me a headache when I'm listening to a whole album, and the salt just gets rubbed in the wound when the soloing starts.
I respect Hannamen because if you watch him doing solos or improvising he knows what he's doing. On record, I never cared much. Dont even get me started on Kerry King, he using the whammy bar WAY too much, I cant tell one solo from another

I respect Hannamen because if you watch him doing solos or improvising he knows what he's doing. On record, I never cared much. Dont even get me started on Kerry King, he using the whammy bar WAY too much, I cant tell one solo from another

That's because King doesn't even properly build solos from scales and modes, it's just nonsense he tries to mask with whammy bar and playing really fast.

1. Testament - Practice What You Preach
2. Sacred Reich - The American Way
3. Kreator - Enemy of God
4. Coroner - No More Colors
5. Destruction - Metal Discharge

I'd say Bonded By Blood is my favourite, but only Slayer hasn't released any superior work to that (probably because I think they're the weakest and least diverse of the Big 4, but I digress).

Back