Too much of a good thing ?

Well, here's my list:
1 & 2. The Soundhouse Tapes demo (which also appears on Best Of The Beast)
3. Original version
4. Maiden Japan
5. Live After Death
6. Maiden England
7. Live At Donington
8. A Real Dead One
9. Rock In Rio
10, 11, 12 & 13. BBC Archives (4 TIMES)
14. Beast Over Hammersmith
15. Death On The Road
16. Different World
17. Flight 666
18. En Vivo!

Well, here's my list:
1 & 2. The Soundhouse Tapes demo (which also appears on Best Of The Beast)
3. Original version
4. Maiden Japan
5. Live After Death
6. Maiden England
7. Live At Donington
8. A Real Dead One
9. Rock In Rio
10, 11, 12 & 13. BBC Archives (4 TIMES)
15. Death On The Road
16. Different World
17. Flight 666
18. En Vivo!

Mines the same except i didn't count Best Of The Beast and it's not on my maiden japan.

I don't really have any singles, or the Eddie's Archive but I've a few bootlegs so I've got:

1. A Real Dead One
2. Best of the Beast (2CD)
3. Madrid 1999 (Boot)
4. AMOLAD Tour 2006 (Boot)
5. Monsters of Rock 2008 (Boot ... It's maiden england I guess but I don't have maiden england itself and it's not the official release)
6. Death on the Road
7. Flight 666
8. Album
9. Live After Death
10. Live at Donnington
11. Rock in Rio
12. Reading Festival 1980 (Wasted Tapes)
13. Ed Hunter
14. Essential Iron Maiden

Now, "too much of a good thing", it can happen .. many people here have listened to a song so much that they have gone off it. Although I can't say I ever saw "Iron Maiden" the song as a good thing to begin with as I don't really rate the song, it's at the bottom end for me.

You had to pick that song, eh? An itunes search for "iron maiden" isn't very enlightening ... 477 Maiden songs here, now I have to find all the eponymous songs by hand.

1. Ruskin Arms, 10 October 1979
2. Iron Maiden album
3. Palladium, NYC, 29 June 1982 (my 11th birthday!)
4. Hammersmith Odeon, 26 May 1983
5. World Slavery Denver, 15 December 1984
6. Live After Death
7. Somewhere On Tour Sheffield, 15 October 1986
8. VXI Tour Madrid, 19 May 1998
9. Ed Huntour Denver, 27 July 1999
10, 11, 12, 13. BBC Archives
15. Rock Am Ring, 6 June 2003
16. Death On The Road
17. Eddie Rips Up Gothenburg, 9 July 2005
18. AMOLAD Tour Sheffield, 18 December 2006

Plus all the albums which I either never imported into itunes (eg RLDO, Ed Hunter) or only have in video form (eg Rock In Rio) or my reunion-era vinyl collection (eg Flight 666) ... I'm sure the total is around 30 if I tracked them all down.

Given the fans on this forum, I also suspect my list is average at best. I wouldn't be surprised at all if there are members here who could get to 60 easily.

I have around 220 live versions of Iron Maiden. I say "around" because neither do I have Itunes, nor are all my MP3s tagged. So unless I go into every folder and count every single file by hand, there is no way to know for sure. I made an estimate by counting all my bootleg folders, excluding those where I know for sure that there is no version of the song included (e.g. the Brave New World rehearsals or Bruce's audition tapes), and adding all the official live releases to it. I did not take into account in this estimate the possibility that some of my bootlegs are incomplete either in the version I got them or in the original, thus missing the track. It's also possible that I missed an official release or two - I don't pretend to know the tracklist of every single and EP they ever released by heart. Still, I'd say 220 is a reasonable estimate.

Many people don't see the point in multiple live releases (And I'm beginning to agree) but whilst I will still get most the official ones, I don't see the point in getting that many bootlegs, I mostly only get them for Tours that weren't officially released. There's only so much difference from 1 live version to another and after hearing 220 I think I would struggle to remember which was better :p If making a playlist of tracks I will pretty much always grab my favourite version, so say the RiR Sign of the Cross is listened to a lot but the album isn't etc. Likewise there's no real reason to buy compilations for ANY band since the widespread use of mp3's/ipods etc as you just mix your own.

Studio version and Live After Death version. So, only two.

No bootlegs, no iTunes, no albums other than the studio ones and LAD. Mostly I use YouTube or stuff for version materials.

Back