To Tame a Land

How good is To Tame A Land on a scale of 1-10?

• Total voters
Re: 'to Tame A Land'

The Ancient Mariner said:
It was originally a piano movement which was used by Albeniz in "Cantos de España", and after his death a music publisher added it to the "Suite Española" which has caused a lot of confusion.  It was later arranged for guitar by the guitar god Andres Segovia.

Here is Segovia's interpretation. Beautiful music, it is. Enjoy!

Daily Song: To Tame A Land

Welcome to the Daily Vote Thread! Rules are here.

Remember, only a decent review will count towards the contest.

Today's song: To Tame a Land

Yesterday's song remains open for voting! You can find it here.

I never liked this track. To me, the music is pretty good, but not great. The lyrics aren't meaningful to me, and that's what usually pulls songs out of the 6-7 range. Therefore, I give it a 7. I recognize why other people love it; I don't.

Re: Daily Song: To Tame A Land

In terms of atmosphere, an early triumph. I probably read Dune around the same time Steve did, and the mood fits the novel, so the lyrics never really bothered me. The last two minutes are awesome but it could have used more momentum getting there. Eight.

10! This is the best song Steve ever wrote (and himself said it, back in 1983). Amazing atmosphere and even if you never had read or watched Dune, the lyrics do the job of painting the picture in the mind. An army of melodies and different tempos moments, all very well intertwined with a bombastic and mind blowing final section. How can a Maiden fan not like is beyond me.

I haven't read Dune, but the lyrics have never really bothered me, because Bruce makes them sound hugely better than what they really are. The last 4mins of the song are brilliant, with the post solo riff being one of my favourite 3 riffs of all time. Now, usually I'm not the biggest fan of endings that go back to the quiet intro riff after the main instrumental section (The Reincarnation of Benjamin Breeg, Sign of the Cross to name 2 other examples), but I really think it fits the song here. 10/10 for me.

This song has huge potential but doesn't quite deliver the knockout blow. The intro is promising but the verses lack something. The solo is good and different but the bridge out of it doesn't compliment it enough. One of the better tracks from the album. 8/10

It's an early Maiden epic, and a damn good one.  That being said, Maiden epics have suffered from inflation in the last 10 years, so I can't go giving all of them a 10.  TTAL is not quite as good as Revelations, so a 9.

A 9. The first "real" Maiden epic, some brilliant melodic stuff there from Steve, I also don't mind the lyrics because of Bruce's delivery although I actually can't stand Dune (books or films).

8. Fourth best off of PoM. I can cope with the lyrics but there's nothing in the music that stands out to be on another level to the rest of the song. In all of my favourite songs (Hallowed, SotC, SSoaSS) there are sections of the instrumental section that are better than the already fantastic standard. TTAL doesn't have these, the fact the lyrics are difficult to relate to knock it another mark. But, it is a great song. Very melodic.

This song is great, but not perfect. The lyrics are a bit "Alexander'ish" in my opinion, in that they're just listing a lot of things from the book. OK, so he's the Kwizatz Haderach. So what?

Musically, there are many great parts in the song. It doesn't repeat itself until the outro sweetly repeats the intro. The entire band sounds great on this song.

I say a 9.

second half of the song is wothy of a 10 but the first is only worth an 8 so ill give it 9

Everything is great imo except the lyrics. The verses are a little boring. Great solos and one of maidens most diverse basslines

Black_Thunder said:
Great bass-line, I love when Bruce goes "The time will come..."

That part is cool, but I like the next one even better - where he quotes the classical piece Asturias by Isaac Albéniz. That stuff sounds really cool on the bass.

8/10. A typical 'Arris epic but not quite as spectacular as some of his other efforts.

I've said it before: if it wasn't for the silly names right out of the Dune book, this song judging on the riffs alone would be a 9 easy.  But song things need more translation when changing artistic mediums.  These lyrics being one of them.  It is hard to feel the message and intended emotion of the song when I don't care for the source material or the main character of the song.  7/10.

Nice, but not for a 10. Something I really like here are the heavy riffs and the fact that there is no other singing once the solos take off. 9/10

Maiden's forgotten epic (yes, because everybody speaks of Alexander, so that one is hardly forgotten). This has some of 'Arry's most ambitious songwriting, and although I have never read Dune (one of my many plans), it somehow puts me there. I know I'm being inconsequential, but the lyrics don't bother me on this one. Maybe that is because they simply have no meaning to me, I just pretend they're some different language I don't speak. Or simply that Bruce is telling me a good story. A perfect close to one of Maiden's best albums. 10/10.

9 out of 10... One of my favorites on the album. As I couldn't figure out what the hell the lyrics were about I was inspired to read "Dune" even though I was never much of a sci-fi guy. I loved the book, and was able to love the tune even more... a great read and highly recommended. There are a number of other novels in the Dune series that I never got to, probably because Steve didn't write anything based on them... :blush:

Back