Things that come to your mind when thinking of Germany

Lüneburger Heide is exactly where I'm from. Do you remember where you went here? Been to Celle? :)
Leider nicht, we (Mrs M and me, that is) didn't go that south. We were staying in Hohnstorf opposite Lauenburg
part of a fantastic 2019 trip to northern Germany: landed in Hamburg, stayed there for a few nights, then rented a car and drove (Mrs M, that is, me having no license) north, stayed in Niebüll for a few nights again, using it as the starting point for trips to places in Schleswig-Holstein, including a lovely afternoon on Sylt; then further north to the Danish border; Hedeby / Haithabu Viking Museum, Flensburg, Lübeck, then Hohnstorf and trips from there again; then Hamburg airport, returning the car
, drove to Bispingen, parked the car, hired bikes, spent the entire day biking throughout the Heide, then spent the evening hours in Lüneburg before going back to Lauenburg / Hohnstorf. One of the best trips we've had together, and I'm eternally grateful to @Perun for his tips of where to go and what to do within a rather short time.

Leider nicht, we (Mrs M and me, that is) didn't go that south. We were staying in Hohnstorf opposite Lauenburg
part of a fantastic 2019 trip to northern Germany: landed in Hamburg, stayed there for a few nights, then rented a car and drove (Mrs M, that is, me having no license) north, stayed in Niebüll for a few nights again, using it as the starting point for trips to places in Schleswig-Holstein, including a lovely afternoon on Sylt; then further north to the Danish border; Hedeby / Haithabu Viking Museum, Flensburg, Lübeck, then Hohnstorf and trips from there again; then Hamburg airport, returning the car
, drove to Bispingen, parked the car, hired bikes, spent the entire day biking throughout the Heide, then spent the evening hours in Lüneburg before going back to Lauenburg / Hohnstorf. One of the best trips we've had together, and I'm eternally grateful to @Perun for his tips of where to go and what to do within a rather short time.
Yeah, sounds great. Laueburg is nice, with the upper shore and all that. Great you liked it!

In no particular order.

Helloween
Autobahn's
Bavarian mountains
Beer
Nazis
F. W. Murnau
Bratwurst
Expressionist cinema
The Berlin Wall
Rammstein
Bismark
Excellent cars
Werner Herzog
Castles
Grimm Fairytales

It didn't know that German was being taught in British schools at all...
That's debatable, actually. French, German and Spanish were taught when I was at school, but German and Spanish weren't taught to the same standard as French. You could only take a second foreign language if you'd started French and were getting decent grades after a couple of years.

Hence I can read most French successfully and can write in French if I put my mind to it. My German language skills are almost non existent, and mostly consist of some next-to-useless phrases.

UK schools teach more foreign languages now, some teach Polish (probably because more Poles have settled here now), and Chinese.

Wurst-zwo, Wurst-zwo, Wurst-zwo-drei-vier Wurst!
Willst du die Wurst in Flammen sehen?

To answer the question, first I think of must be cars. Been driving a German car for a few years now.

Other things:
German tourists in too big camper cars on too narrow Norwegian roads.
Rammstein.
Messerschmitts (I am an aviation geek after all)
Oktoberfest waitresses carrying more beer than one would imagine possible :D

Back