Thieves!

A

Anonymous

I recently notices that a band called Aveneged Sevenfold seem to steal Maiden's ideas. I am a Sevenfold fan myself but when I realised that on the song 'M.I.A.' they copied something that Maiden have done at least twice, on 'Fear of the Dark' and 'Brave New World', I was quite dismayed.

What both 'Fear of the Dark' and 'Brave New World' did was have a "soft and ominous" (took that out of the commentary) beginning with a similar ending.

Fear of the Dark: I am a man who walks alone And when I'm walking a dark road At night or strolling through the park for the beginning, and When I'm walking a dark road I am a man who walks alone at the end.

Brave New World: Dying swans twisted wings, beauty not needed here Lost my love, lost my life, in this garden of fear I have seen many things, in a lifetime alone Mother love is no more, bring this savage back home as the beginning, and Dying swans twisted wings, bring this savage back home at the end.

What Avenged Sevenfold did was use this "soft and ominous" beginning and end in 'M.I.A.'

Staring at the carnage, praying that the sun will never rise. Living another day in disguise. These feelings cant be right, lend me your courage to stand up and fight, on tonight. This is the beginning.

We'll walk the city lonely, memories that haunt are passing by. A murderer walks your streets tonight. Forgive me for my crimes. Don't forget that I was so young, faught so scared. In the name of God and Country. For the ending.

I think the song is about the War in Iraq, as you could find out if you were to listen to then song. More to the point though, does anyone else know of any songs that have 'Maiden-thief' written all over it?

I thought for a moment that you might possibly show the most blatant of A7X stealing Maidens ideas.

But you didn't.

NP: Avenged Sevenfold - The Beast And The Harlot [!--emo&:D--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/biggrin.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'biggrin.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

Oh yeah! Obviously, considering that 'Number of the Beast' has the Revalation quote at the beginning, 'Piece of Mind' has another qoute from Revalation in the cover and of course the song 'Revalations' (Steve and Bruce love that book don't they [!--emo&:blink:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/blink.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'blink.gif\' /][!--endemo--] ) Practically every word from 'Beast and the Harlot' is taken from Revalation, with the song being about the burning of Babylon.

P.S. I was actually meaning to mention that song along with 'M.I.A.', but I got carried away and forgot. Anyway, the first post was enough to be getting on with wasn't it?

We all rip off stuff right? Papa Roach ripped of the riffs for Prowler which can be heard on Between Angels and Insects and Genghis Khan which can be heard on Last Resort.

Ascendancy, have you ever heard "Stairway To Heaven" by Led Zeppelin? [!--emo&:huh:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/huh.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'huh.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

What with the evil n3cro backwards recorded mesages and all? "Here's to my sweet Satan" [!--emo&:lmao:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/lol.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'lol.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

[!--QuoteBegin-Black Dragon+Nov 19 2005, 04:13 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Black Dragon @ Nov 19 2005, 04:13 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]We all rip off stuff right? Papa Roach ripped of the riffs for Prowler which can be heard on Between Angels and Insects and Genghis Khan which can be heard on Last Resort.
[snapback]123513[/snapback]​
[/quote]
They have a song on that album Infest called "Blood Brothers", but I'm not sure it has anything to do with Maiden.

As for the question of ripping off Maiden, I have to say that the music industry is soo big and there are so many artists that somebody is bound to rip off an artist or a riff from a song. They may not do it intentionally, they may not even know a similar song exists, but they try a style of song and people call them "rip-offs". Maiden are such a big band that they have influenced so may people and of course their music is going to have similarities with Maiden. These bands are not all rip-offs.

As I remember Otto saying one time in the Simpsons, "All these new bands are just ripping off Judas Priest" [!--emo&:p--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/tongue.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'tongue.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

Ascendancy, do you enjoy looking like an arsehole on this board, or is it a natural state for you?

[!--QuoteBegin-Ascendancy+Nov 20 2005, 01:28 AM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Ascendancy @ Nov 20 2005, 01:28 AM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]Yes, who hasn't? Can't say I like it though. I find it really boring until the solos. What's your point anyway?
[snapback]123558[/snapback]​
[/quote]

If you cared to listen to it more closely, my point is obvious. The soft-hard-soft structure you accused others of stealing from Iron Maiden is already present on this song. I won't dare to say that it originated here because some purist will surely be able to find some song where it was before Stairway, but this is where it became popular in 1971.

[!--QuoteBegin-Conor+Nov 19 2005, 06:23 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Conor @ Nov 19 2005, 06:23 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]They have a song on that album Infest called "Blood Brothers", but I'm not sure it has anything to do with Maiden.

As for the question of ripping off Maiden, I have to say that the music industry is soo big and there are so many artists that somebody is bound to rip off an artist or a riff from a song.  They may not do it intentionally, they may not even know a similar song exists, but they try a style of song and people call them "rip-offs".  Maiden are such a big band that they have influenced so may people and of course their music is going to have similarities with Maiden. These bands are not all rip-offs.

As I remember Otto saying one time in the Simpsons, "All these new bands are just ripping off Judas Priest" [!--emo&:p--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/tongue.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'tongue.gif\' /][!--endemo--]
[snapback]123536[/snapback]​
[/quote]

We often use the "rip-off" thing as a reason to bash a band (usually one that's popular and trendy). As for the Simpsons it could be "all these black metal bands are just ripping off DarkThrone".

[!--QuoteBegin-Perun+Nov 19 2005, 06:34 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Perun @ Nov 19 2005, 06:34 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]Ascendancy, have you ever heard "Stairway To Heaven" by Led Zeppelin?  [!--emo&:huh:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/huh.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'huh.gif\' /][!--endemo--]
[snapback]123525[/snapback]​
[/quote]

Try Vivaldi's "Four Seasons" it dates from 1720-something. Probably the biggest hit from that century. Just like the metal songs mentioned it comes full-circle in terms of dynamics and atmosphere. And according to several connoisseurs of the classical genre Vivaldi's style has inspired a lot of younger composers such as (Amadeus) Mozart!

Actually, I am sure that most contemporary songwriters have been influenced/inspired by other writers/composers. And with the current plethora of musical "talents" in the world it's only getting harder and harder to be original.

Vivaldi's Four seasons may have been inspired by the actual seasons, passing throughout the year; But you can't learn how to play or compose music just from watching the weather change, right? So he must have been influenced by som type of existing music aswell.

As for the specific "soft-HARD-soft" type of songs: This is just something wich seems to fit perfectly in most people's musical psyche. Scientist's all over the world have done studies on the reaction of the human brain to certain types of music. And these specific "soft-hard-soft" songs remain most populair with the majority of (adult) listeners.

In my country, a yearly top 1000 music poll is hosted by a popular radio-station and there are at least three S-H-S songs that always reside within the top ten:

Stairway To Heaven
Bohemian Rhapsody
Nothing Else Matters

The reason why these three songs always get the most votes (over i.e. Fear Of The Dark) is of course the fact that these songs have had an incredible amount of airplay over the years. I'm sure if pop-radio would play a lot more Maiden (wich they'll NEVER do) they would easily earn enough votes to end up in any top ten with a S-H-S song as great as FOTD. But so would Antonio Vivaldi, as long if he would get enough airplay. In fact, a couple of years ago some Dutch DJ started playing "The Four Seasons" on a top 40 radio station and Low and Behold it actually ended up in the top ten and stayed there for a month!

Personally I'm a sucker for Soft-Hard-Soft themes.... And that doesn't just concern my musical taste! [!--emo&:D--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/biggrin.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'biggrin.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

Yeah... and Sevenfold copied Maiden too by using guitars, drums, mics, amps, clothes, food, water... olso by copying a couple of lyrics like " I am [...]" ; "and he is [...]"; "So far[...] and the most common "Ascendancy should think before posting [...]" etc... [!--emo&-_---][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/sleep.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'sleep.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

[!--QuoteBegin-Black Dragon+Nov 19 2005, 01:43 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Black Dragon @ Nov 19 2005, 01:43 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]We all rip off stuff right? Papa Roach ripped of the riffs for Prowler which can be heard on Between Angels and Insects and Genghis Khan which can be heard on Last Resort.
[snapback]123513[/snapback]​
[/quote]
The beginig of Last Resort really reminds me oh Hallowed be thy Name. I'm just commenting, I know they didn't rip it off.

Back