The Yeti Crab

JackKnife

A Vivid example of masculine pulchritude
A new crustacean species (Kiwa hirsuta) dubbed furry 'lobster' as been described recently.
laun.jpg

A new family was even created to host it (fam. Kiwaida, from Kiwa, the goddess of crustaceans in Polynesian mythology). More information here.

It’s amazing the number of new species that are described every year, but this one is particularly cute isn’t it?
Fauna from the deep sea hydrothermal vents are absolutely incredible! ::

Sorry for that strange post but I felt that some Maiden fans would be interested by this information. ::

Beautiful critter that is. I hope for his sake that mankind will soon forget about him [img src=\"style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/sad.gif\" style=\"vertical-align:middle\" emoid=\":(\" border=\"0\" alt=\"sad.gif\" /]

[!--quoteo(post=132532:date=Mar 20 2006, 02:01 PM:name=JackKnife)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(JackKnife @ Mar 20 2006, 02:01 PM) [snapback]132532[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
It’s amazing the number of new species that are described every year, but this one is particularly cute isn’t it?
[/quote]
Let's just see what Black Dragon has to say about it [img src=\"style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/wink.gif\" style=\"vertical-align:middle\" emoid=\";)\" border=\"0\" alt=\"wink.gif\" /]
It is indeed a "beautiful critter" but what's the point in discovering a new species when there are millions of people starving?

[!--quoteo(post=132592:date=Mar 20 2006, 10:46 PM:name=Conor)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Conor @ Mar 20 2006, 10:46 PM) [snapback]132592[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
but what's the point in discovering a new species when there are millions of people starving?
[/quote]

What's the point of recording a new album when millions of people are starving? What's the point of posting on BBs when millions of people are starving? What's the point of anything? ::

Great, this will probably keep me awake tonight [img src=\"style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/sad.gif\" style=\"vertical-align:middle\" emoid=\":(\" border=\"0\" alt=\"sad.gif\" /]

[!--quoteo(post=132594:date=Mar 20 2006, 09:56 PM:name=Perun)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Perun @ Mar 20 2006, 09:56 PM) [snapback]132594[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
Great, this will probably keep me awake tonight [img src=\"style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/sad.gif\" style=\"vertical-align:middle\" emoid=\":(\" border=\"0\" alt=\"sad.gif\" /]
[/quote]

So Jean Paul Sartre, are you going to put on Infinite Dreams tonight? [img src=\"style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/happy.gif\" style=\"vertical-align:middle\" emoid=\"^_^\" border=\"0\" alt=\"happy.gif\" /]

[!--quoteo(post=132594:date=Mar 20 2006, 09:56 PM:name=Perun)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Perun @ Mar 20 2006, 09:56 PM) [snapback]132594[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
What's the point of recording a new album when millions of people are starving? What's the point of posting on BBs when millions of people are starving? What's the point of anything? ::

[/quote]
Drop the sarcasm Per, I was simply making an observation that if scientists collaborated and tried to solve some of the World's pressing problems, the world would be a better place. It's the political system that we depend upon that prevents this though... quite a paradox.

I know this sounds cheesy but... [img src=\"style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/cool.gif\" style=\"vertical-align:middle\" emoid=\"B)\" border=\"0\" alt=\"cool.gif\" /]

Does it dance Salsa? Merengue perhaps? [img src=\"style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/biggrin.gif\" style=\"vertical-align:middle\" emoid=\":D\" border=\"0\" alt=\"biggrin.gif\" /]

[!--quoteo(post=132598:date=Mar 20 2006, 11:05 PM:name=IronDuke)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(IronDuke @ Mar 20 2006, 11:05 PM) [snapback]132598[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
I wonder how the little varmit tastes?
[/quote]

It was only a matter of time before that got asked [img src=\"style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/sleep.gif\" style=\"vertical-align:middle\" emoid=\"-_-\" border=\"0\" alt=\"sleep.gif\" /]

Yeah, who knows, maybe it'll be edible so it can feed starving people. Or it could turn out to have some kind of healing properties and cure cancer or something... Maybe it could lead to some kind of big discovery that could affect the world! Then again, it could just be some funky little new creature that will float around and live its insignificant little life until it dies...but, ya never know!

What is it with people that the first thing they think about when confronted with newly discovered species is "can it be eaten"?
Leave them alone for fuck's sake.

I've always been facinated with the creatures that live in the 'abyss'. It always surprises me with the beauty and resiliance that live has.

[!--quoteo(post=132598:date=Mar 20 2006, 11:05 PM:name=IronDuke)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(IronDuke @ Mar 20 2006, 11:05 PM) [snapback]132598[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
I wonder how the little varmit tastes?
[/quote]
It's good but you have to shave it before you crunch... [img src=\"style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/biggrin.gif\" style=\"vertical-align:middle\" emoid=\":D\" border=\"0\" alt=\"biggrin.gif\" /]

Strange little animal. I would have never thought that something like that could be living in the ocean. I once read something about a man shaving a rabbit, putting all of the fur on a dead fish, and telling people he found it while deep-sea fishing. [img src=\"style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/biggrin.gif\" style=\"vertical-align:middle\" emoid=\":D\" border=\"0\" alt=\"biggrin.gif\" /]

[!--quoteo(post=132637:date=Mar 21 2006, 06:10 AM:name=Perun)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Perun @ Mar 21 2006, 06:10 AM) [snapback]132637[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
What is it with people that the first thing they think about when confronted with newly discovered species is "can it be eaten"?
Leave them alone for fuck's sake.
[/quote]

Because we happen to like eating things. And as an above poster mentioned, perhaps this critter has the cure for some terrible disease. Wouldn't you kill a few furry crayfish to try and save millions of human beings?

I'm not advocating hunting them to extinction, just some experimentation to see what the critter can do.

[!--quoteo(post=132714:date=Mar 22 2006, 03:22 PM:name=IronDuke)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(IronDuke @ Mar 22 2006, 03:22 PM) [snapback]132714[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]Wouldn't you kill a few furry crayfish to try and save millions of human beings?
[/quote]
I'm not so sure anymore... [img src=\"style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/sleep.gif\" style=\"vertical-align:middle\" emoid=\"-_-\" border=\"0\" alt=\"sleep.gif\" /]

What a statement for a former researcher! ::

[!--quoteo--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]Nobody shares my philosophy anyway, so bleh.[/quote]

I agree with you 100%, if humanity gets its hands on this little thing, how long before it becomes the next delicacy, do we even know how many of these there are. Maybe it may end up being extinct within the year if we start eating it, using it for jewelry. And what will that be, like the 3,400th species the humans have wiped out so far

I was kidding about eating it. With the exception of fish, I can't stand seafood. I do think it would be messed up if people just wanted to make jewelry and crap out of it. But I figure if scientists went to the trouble of discovering a new species, they may as well find out more about it and what it can do.

Back