The worst poll ever.

What is the best Iron Maiden song with an adjective in its title?

• Strange World

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Another Life

• Innocent Exile

• Total Eclipse

Votes: 2 8.7%
  • Still Life

• Rime Of The Ancient Mariner

Votes: 6 26.1%
  • Wasted Years

Votes: 1 4.3%
  • Stranger In A Strange Land

• Infinite Dreams

Votes: 3 13.0%
  • The Educated Fool

• The Fallen Angel

• Out Of The Silent Planet

• The Thin Line Between Love And Hate

• Wildest Dreams

• New Frontier

• Brighter Than A Thousand Suns

• The Longest Day

Votes: 4 17.4%
  • For The Greater Good Of God

• The Wicker Man

• Total voters
A

Anonymous

A poll for all those with a grammar fetish. What is the best Maiden song with an adjective in its title? Cast your vote and explain it, or I'll give you a flight ticket to thousand_sun's house.
Bonus points if you can name the adjective in the title.

Oh, and...

Adrian Smith looks kindly upon polls, Poles, poles and holes.

Hehe, this one isn't that bad man! Adjectives have to do with meanings of the songs! :)

I'll chose Rime. I'm afraid that people fall asleep in an instant when I start explaining this choice. ;)

Free
Strange
Another
Innocent
Total
Still
Ancient
Wasted
Strange
Infinite
Silent, Deep
Educated
Fallen
Silent
Thin
Wildest
New
Brighter
Longest
Greater

And my favourite...probably Total Eclipse or Brighter Than A Thousand Suns.  Just to defy popular opinion, I'll go for Total Eclipse.

Oh, the pain. Are you asking me to choose between Rime, Infinite Dreams and Brighter Than A Thousand Suns? And adding plenty of good songs besides these doesn't relieve the pain.

I let the fact that I watched the RIR '85 version of Rime of the Ancient Mariner this afternoon tip the scale in its favour. And Adrian Smith has a great solo in this song. (For the sake of it, so has Dave Murray).

A little comment on the side: Are you sure "still" in Still Life is meant as an adjective? I have always thought of it as the word equivalent with "fremdeles" in Norwegian, that would be "noch" in German, and not the word "stille". Still (pun intended, actually), I love the song and it is in the top 5 of the list.

In the title "Running Free", the word "Free" is not an adjective; it is an adverb, as it applies to the verb "Running".

The same goes for "Silent" and "Deep" in "Run Silent Run Deep".

So, when I consider the rest of the songs, and when I stop wondering why "The Wicker Man" isn't an option, I find myself torn between "Still Life", ROTAM, "Infinite Dreams" and BTATS.

I guess I have to go with the best bassline to find the winner ... "Infinite Dreams", then. That is officially some wicked bass playing.

Eddies Wingman said:
A little comment on the side: Are you sure "still" in Still Life is meant as an adjective? I have always thought of it as the word equivalent with "fremdeles" in Norwegian, that would be "noch" in German, and not the word "stille". Still (pun intended, actually), I love the song and it is in the top 5 of the list.

Interesting question! I thought the same as you, namely "nog" in Dutch. Never thought of an alternative meaning.

Argh. I knew my poor knowledge of grammar theory would get me here. I was actually pondering on whether to do this at all... but anyway.

Eddies Wingman:
I was always thinking the title Still Life is meant to refer to the type of painting. I don't know the Norwegian word for it, but the German one is Stilleben. Agreed, it's ambiguous, but I guess that is intentional.

SMX:
Yeah, you got me there. You're right, however, I forgot The Wicker Man. Added to the poll, the other two removed.

I still think I should get a B- on this...  :innocent:

Perun said:
Eddies Wingman:
I was always thinking the title Still Life is meant to refer to the type of painting. I don't know the Norwegian word for it, but the German one is Stilleben. Agreed, it's ambiguous, but I guess that is intentional.

*Slams himself on forehead* That sounds like a very logical meaning indeed! Stilleven. In English these words are separated, so that has always fooled me.  :stupid:

Actually it is called "stilleben" in Norwegian as well, I assume it is adopted from German. I would like to get a comment from some Englishman. Albie, where art thou? I actually have thought about it as "still" as in "I'm still alive", perhaps we should e-mail 'Arry and ask?  ;)

The English term for 'still life' may have its origins in the Dutch term 'still-leven' and both terms imply that life is still present even if it is stationary. In Southern Europe the same style of art is called 'dead nature', as in the Italian 'natura morta' or the French 'nature morte' which has a very different connotation. Although symbolic inanimate objects were regularly incorporated into paintings from the Renaissance there was a major shift in still life painting in Holland in the early years of the seventeenth century. It may be that Protestant Holland was well suited to a break from the stiffling religious and historical painting traditions that dominated Catholic Europe. When in 1606 Jan Brueghel the Elder (1568-1625) painted his 'Bouquet', now in the Pinacoteca Ambrosiana (Milan), the abundant flowers were the center of attention with little else to diminish the impact. The canvas was painted over an extended period to show flowers from different seasons in a manner that could not be achieved in nature. --> http://www.luminous-lint.com/__sw.php?a ... G_TH&p1=11

Eddies Wingman said:
Actually it is called "stilleben" in Norwegian as well, I assume it is adopted from German. I would like to get a comment from some Englishman. Albie, where art thou? I actually have thought about it as "still" as in "I'm still alive", perhaps we should e-mail 'Arry and ask?  ;)
Still Life in English does indeed mean "a painting of inanimate objects" - life that is still. So Perun is right on that score.

Albie said:
Still Life in English does indeed mean "a painting of inanimate objects" - life that is still. So Perun is right on that score.

Thanks for the explaination - I think it was necessary to sort out this confusion. So then "Still" in the song title would be an adjective after all and I will smack myself over the fingers. PANG. *Ouch*

And also thanks to Forostar for the lesson in art history.

YW, here some more if interested:

Inanimate objects such as fruit, flowers, food and everyday items are painted as the main focus of interest in still lifes. The term derives from the Dutch 'stilleven', which became current from about 1650 as a collective name for this type of subject matter.

Still life painting - later called 'natures mortes' was particularly popular in the Netherlands during the 17th century and was often associated with material decay and the futility of worldly life. Still lifes with this interpretation are known as 'Vanitas' or 'Memento Mori'. Though losing most of this symbolism still life has remained a popular subject with artists to this day.

http://www.nationalgallery.org.uk/cgi-b ... ill%20Life

+

What is "Still Life"?

"Still life," from the Dutch stilleven, essentially means "not moving materials." This term for the art of painting inanimate objects did not come into use until late in the 17th century when the genre was well established.

(way more info:) http://www.clevelandart.org/exhibit/stillife/index.html

For me it's undoubtedly Brighter than a Thousand Suns. The lyrics are incredibly deep, the riffing and solos are great, and Bruce is really at the top of his game vocally.

Rime Of The Ancient Mariner- it kick arse!!!!!! Hoping to see it live in London next year!

The adjective in the title incidently is 'Ancient'

:smartarse: :smartarse: :smartarse:

Infinite Dreams. Seventh Son is my favourite Maiden album and Infinite Dreams is my favourite song from there.

easy one : the rime

qfter Genghis Khan, now Perun tries to get SMX dethroned ....not an easy job Per  ;)

Back