The Thin Line Between Love and Hate / SOLOS

I thought there are 4 solo segments, starting around:

3:08
4:51
6:31
6:54

All by Murray.

Which 5 do you mean?

Also, are there any footage of the guitarists playing all of the solos or "he who must not be named"(AMI DOIN IT RITE?) just guesses?

The Thin Line Between Love & Hate (Murray/Harris) - 8:26
-Dave Murray - 2:11/2:22
-Dave Murray - 3:08/3:19
-Dave Murray - 4:50/5:20
-Janick Gers - 6:31/6:43
-Janick Gers - 6:54/7:05

Yeah, I've seen on other sites that Janick plays solos towards the end. I guess we'll have to wait for the live version to be sure  :ok:

Mega said:
Also, are there any footage of the guitarists playing all of the solos or "he who must not be named"(AMI DOIN IT RITE?) just guesses?

I provided the solo information for this site. It's not guessing, it's a kind of feeling. I have an ear for that, though there's a couple of tracks where I had a harder time to distinguish Dave from Janick (the one that comes to mind is a bit in Mother Russia). And of course, mistakes can be made.

Weird that this first solo is not featured in the Commentary, I'll e-mail M.averick about it.

At first hearing it sure sounded like Dave, but I'll give it another listen later on, to be sure. I thought it was Dave as well at the end, but I'll check that out as well.

Reumeren: which sites?

Check this topic, an interesting read about the Maiden solo styles.

That was a very interesting read, thanks! It's always a pleasure to watch a non musician try to discribe what he hears, it's actually very educating for me.
The main way I distinguish between them is with Dave actually. His most used licks are fast hammer ons and pull offs. Then with Janick, he tends to miss somewhat, or maybe string buzz, alot in his solos. What solo left is Adrian's. His style is much more unique and versatile so it's easy to be wrong in the newer albums.

Listened to it again:

thomason said:
-Janick Gers - 6:31/6:43
-Janick Gers - 6:54/7:05

-Janick Gers - 6:31/6:43  --> Dave Murray, 100% sure. Especially when the notes are fast it's easy to hear, and we can also hear these clear high notes. Only Dave plays them like that on this region of the guitar.
-Janick Gers- - 6:54/7:05 --> This one is more difficult. It sounds a bit more worked out, less fast. Still I think it's also Dave. That style of that opening note is typically something for him (compare it with the first note of the previous solo plus the one around 6:41 in this link). On top of that: In this song it makes more sense that all solos are by Dave.

First and second solos 100% Dave. No doubt: first one is clear, second one he uses the lick where he just puuls off every note on a string. Third one also Dave. when he goes down there's a specific part where he licks to do a HO/PO and he does that. Forth one has to be Dave. This one is harder because of it's "crunchy" sound. I know why it's like that, but it's hard to explain. Anyway, between those to crunchy parts there's a clear trill that says it's Dave's. Last one I honestly can't say it's dave. He misses a note there, or whatever it is that Janick usually do, so I have to go with Janick on this one. But it is very hard to say, because the forth one was similiar in style to the one in BNW, and I think Janick does that solo, plus they are very close so they may both be Janick's actually. I'm gonna guess it's all Dave, just because they are very close together and there's no reason someone else will do 1 out of 5 solos.

It sounds like all Dave to me.  The only one which has an inkling of doubt, but it still sounds like one of Dave's bluesy Hendrixish solos.

Hi. I'm Jefferson Camargo (JEFFMETAL), the author of the solography published on the link 2 posts above and there's mistake on the solography, but it's on Invasion solos, which goes a bit different from the one on the site, and Weekend Warrior. Both goes:

Invasion (Harris) - 2:39

-Dennis Stratton - 0:48/1:04
-Dave Murray - 1:08/1:19
-Dennis Stratton - 1:18/1:35 (a second guitar enters with trills and then a bend at 1:31)
-2 guitar harmony - 1:36/1:57
-Dave Murray - 2:14/2:30

11) Weekend Warrior (Harris/Gers) - 5:39

-Dave Murray - 2:58/3:26
-2 guitar harmony - 2:26/3:52
-Janick Gers - 3:53/4:19
-Dave Murray - 4:20/4:34

On Weekend Warrior, Dave's takes the first solo using Jan equipment setting, according to my ears, just as Jan uses wah on The Apparition, which is more Dave's type of setting. On The Thin Line Between Love & Hate is really Dave soloing the first three and when the song breaks down, Jan picks the next 2 solos. Adrian is on the middle and right channel during the song and he mostly play the arpeggiated chords. Melodies on the song are played by Jan and Davey. On Face In The Sand, the trading between Adrian to that little classical type melody is clear, as it has the typical Dave slide and soft vibrato.

Apart from these, the rest I guarantee you it's correct. I listen to Maiden for 25 years and have pretty accurate ears to tell right away who's doing what. Of course, you have to allow yourself the benefit of the doubt so then you can have always something to look again from time to time. On the songs they never played live, my guess is good as anybody's, but I stick to mine.

Jeffmetal said:
Invasion (Harris) - 2:39

-Dennis Stratton - 0:48/1:04
-Dave Murray - 1:08/1:19
-Dennis Stratton - 1:18/1:35 (a second guitar enters with trills and then a bend at 1:31)
-2 guitar harmony - 1:36/1:57
-Dave Murray - 2:14/2:30

Interesting. This song plus Mother Russia (at some point -I thought the last part- I find it hard to say if it's Dave or Janick) have always been the hardest songs to decide who plays what.

Jeffmetal said:
11) Weekend Warrior (Harris/Gers) - 5:39

-Dave Murray - 2:58/3:26
-2 guitar harmony - 2:26/3:52
-Janick Gers - 3:53/4:19
-Dave Murray - 4:20/4:34

On Weekend Warrior, Dave's takes the first solo using Jan equipment setting, according to my ears, just as Jan uses wah on The Apparition, which is more Dave's type of setting.

Hard to imagine that Dave takes over again at the end, but you make me curious to check it out again.
It reminds me of what happened in Childhood's End where Dave takes over Janick's.

Jeffmetal said:
On The Thin Line Between Love & Hate is really Dave soloing the first three and when the song breaks down, Jan picks the next 2 solos.

I think you're wrong about this. Eveyone his own interpretation of course.  :)

Well, on The Thin Line Between Love & Hate I think it's pretty easy to say that it's Dave on first 3 solos and Jan on the last 2. Their unique trademarks are all over the solos. But we'll leave it up in the air as to which is the right configuration as they still didn't play it live (one of my fave songs on BNW). :bigsmile:

On Mother Russia, the right configuration is not on that link, 'cos I sorted it out later. It goes:

10) Mother Russia (Harris) - 5:32

-Dave Murray - 3:13/3:36
-Janick Gers - 3:37/4:00
-Dave Murray - 4:00/4:07
-Janick Gers - 4:09/4:16
-Dave Murray - 4:19/4:26

On Weekend Warrior, the last solo is more easier to distinguish as Dave than the first one, which I'm almost certain he's using Jan's equip setting (Maiden experimented quite a bit on Fear Of The Dark). And on Childhood's End, only Jan plays the solo.

Jeffmetal said:
And on Childhood's End, only Jan plays the solo.

In the beginning I thought that as well, though I never was quite sure. But I read in an interview (with (one of) the guitarists) that Dave took over Janick's solo. It was some years ago, I have to find it again.

edit:

I found it! Unfortunately it's in Dutch, but you got to believe me. The interview is not with one of the guitarists but with Bruce.

This is an important passage:

Hoe gaat het nu met de verdeling van de gitaarsolo's?
Ze spelen ongeveer even lang en achter elkaar, dus live is dat heel interessant. Er is één solo, ik geloof in "Childhood's End", die heel vreemd is: Ze spelen de solo's en op een noot neemt Janeck het over van Dave, zodat het één solo lijkt. Het zal mij benieuwen of iemand dat opmerkt voordat ze het in dit interview gelezen hebben! Het album is erg gevarieerd, er gebeurt veel.

Transation:

How do the guitar players divide their solos now?
They play about as long and right after eachother, so live this is very interesting. I believe there's one solo in "Childhood's End", which is very odd: They play the solos and on one note Janick takes over from Dave, so it looks like it's one solo (NOTE by Forostar: actually Bruce mixes up the names: Dave takes over from Janick -> the styles are very easy to recognize, compare the 1st "half" with the 2nd "half".) I wonder if someone notices this before they have read this interview! (NOTE by Forostar: funny because I indeed think not many people know this, though I always thought that it was weird that the later part of the solo sounds a lot like Dave! And now I am sure it's him!). The album is very varied, a lot is going on.

Forostar said:
In the beginning I thought that as well. But I read in an interview (with (one of) the guitarists) that Dave took over Janick's solo. It was some years ago, I have to find it again.

Well, I read really shitloads of interviews and never ever read it. Plus, I can't see no Dave trademark in this solo. I think they messed up the name of the song (or the guys or the interviewer).

Edited my previous post. If you don't recognize Dave's style in that solo (plus in the one but last solo of The Thin Line..), I seriously doubt your ability to recognize him. No offense.

Forostar said:
Edited my previous post. If you don't recognize Dave's style in that solo (plus in the one but last solo of The Thin Line..), I seriously doubt your ability to recognize him. No offense.

You're saying you can recognize Dave's on Childhood's End solo just to make a point that you read that interview, which is completely absurd. And you must have a lot of wax in the ears to say Dave's soloing on Childhood's End and on the last solo of The Thin Line Between Love & Hate, or you don't know Maiden that well in terms of guitarrists styles, which is what I'm perceiving about you. Every friend of mine nd other people, since 1992, always told right away: "This is Jan soloing. One of his best!", and about The Thin Line also. I still can't believe people can't recognize it's Dave on the first 3 and Jan on the last 2. Pay attnetion to Childhood's End solo and TTBLAH last 2 solos. The runs Jan uses are oozing from these solos. That so called sloppiness people use to bash him.

Back