The Running thread

I'm not planning to retire them yet and since it happened 100% unintentionally, I'm taking the opportunity to celebrate this moment. :devil2:

666k.PNG

On other news I bought ASICS Metaspeed Edge Paris for the half marathon on March 24th and other coming races in 2024. Will keep Adios Pro 3 for speed workouts.

Metaspeed Edge Paris.jpg

5 Personal Bests were smashed today :cheers: :nana:

New PBs:
  • Half Marathon 1:42:06 (4:40 /km) down 11 minutes from previous PB.
  • 20k 1:37:34 (4:53 /km) down 10 minutes.
  • 10 mile 1:18:07 (4:51 /km) down 7 minutes.
  • 15k 1:12:39 (4:51 /km) down 8 minutes.
  • 10k 47:51 (4:47 /km) down 1 minute. *Previous PB was the last "holy cow" Personal Best, unchallenged for 2 1/2 years.
It was a nice race, I followed my coach's advice to run the first 10k "relaxed" at around 5min/km pace which I did but I couldn't see how I could accelerate more afterwards. Anyway, I did and it was not that difficult as I would thought.
ASICS Metaspeed Edge Paris are awesome but also taxing to the feet, now I have them on ice. The playlist was great too, highlights of the race Adele's Skyfall around the 12th km and Fauve's Blizzard which was the finishing track.

Strava map.PNG Strava splits.PNG Strating.jpg

5 Personal Bests were smashed today :cheers: :nana:

New PBs:
  • Half Marathon 1:42:06 (4:40 /km) down 11 minutes from previous PB.
  • 20k 1:37:34 (4:53 /km) down 10 minutes.
  • 10 mile 1:18:07 (4:51 /km) down 7 minutes.
  • 15k 1:12:39 (4:51 /km) down 8 minutes.
  • 10k 47:51 (4:47 /km) down 1 minute. *Previous PB was the last "holy cow" Personal Best, unchallenged for 2 1/2 years.
It was a nice race, I followed my coach's advice to run the first 10k "relaxed" at around 5min/km pace which I did but I couldn't see how I could accelerate more afterwards. Anyway, I did and it was not that difficult as I would thought.
ASICS Metaspeed Edge Paris are awesome but also taxing to the feet, now I have them on ice. The playlist was great too, highlights of the race Adele's Skyfall around the 12th km and Fauve's Blizzard which was the finishing track.

View attachment 35214 View attachment 35215 View attachment 35216
Absolutely rapid - and that 10K PB is surely ready to come down even further once you've recovered given you've just set it in the middle of a longer race.

That’s impressive! I take my hat off to you long distance runners.

I did my last run before going on holiday today (5.21 km in 22 minutes; my original intention was to run a bit more, but then I remembered that I have basketball practice this evening with people who could be my children :lol: ). Let’s hope I manage to run a bit while on holiday too.

Running spin-off post.
So it appears that I slightly injured my right ankle during the race; pain & swollen. Thus I decided to stop running and swim for a while. There is a swimming pool in my compound and I went to swim first time in 4 years I’m living here.

I’m doing 1.5km of freestyle with fins on my hands and then work my feet /ankles by holding a plank for 500m. The ankle is getting better by the day, healing slowly but surely.

Today during the swim I remembered my days in Dubai as there was too a pool in the compound and I used to swim up to 2km every single day. Then I remembered my neighbor next door, with whom we used to meet in the pool. I haven’t thought of /communicated with her for nearly 10 years.

Finished the swim, went upstairs and I received a text by her on Instagram. After 10 years. The very same day that I had thought of her. I was speechless. Now that is a coincidence. Or something more.

So I've been meaning to update for a while. I've been walking about 26 hours a week on these for the past 2 months:
1712024580767.png
They feel great and I've gotten in good enough shape to be able to run for short bursts without getting winded or tired like from the bus stop at the university to the front gate and/or from the front gate to my classroom. Another common sprint is from my house to my mom's which is literally like a minute twenty away WALKING. So when I forget my phone or her set of keys I have no problem running back.

I've also been keeping up with my push ups in said 2 months. At first I was a tad confused. 15 years ago, heck, even 10 years ago I could go to the gym or do exercise and see results within a couple of weeks. This time around it took a little longer. after a month I still didn't SEE any results, but I could feel them. I went from barely being able to do 2 push ups per set, 20 total, to now doing 10 per set, 60 in total. So I knew I was getting stronger, but my body wasn't reflecting it. Well, after 2 months I finally see results. My legs are rock solid from all the walking, I'm starting to see muscle definition in my chest, shoulders and biceps. The other day I got itchy on my side and when I went to scratch I felt a solid mass and was shocked to realize it was my back muscles. I looked in the mirror and I'm starting to have that inverted triangle shape of broad shoulders/chest to slim waist, except I look more like a rumbus, because I still have persistent belly fat that is taking much longer to get rid of. I think I'll add specific ab workouts to my existing routine.

This is the push-up board I bought myself for Christmas and started using in January. Not really a "new year's resolution," more like, I'm 40 and need to do SOMETHING. It comes with some basic workouts to get started, but I like the variety in the positions. There are other more complex ones, this one is fine for me. I usually work my way from the outside in doing three sets of 10 on two colors a day (with breaks of course). It's made it fun and engaging, I haven't had this much fun doing exercise in a loooong time and finally seeing some results is motivating. I'm sure it'll all go to shit once I get my surgery and spend a month in bed rest, but that's the other reason why I'm doing it, to be strong enough for the physical recuperating that is to come.
1712024476145.png

I've also been keeping up with my push ups in said 2 months. At first I was a tad confused. 15 years ago, heck, even 10 years ago I could go to the gym or do exercise and see results within a couple of weeks. This time around it took a little longer. after a month I still didn't SEE any results, but I could feel them. I went from barely being able to do 2 push ups per set, 20 total, to now doing 10 per set, 60 in total. So I knew I was getting stronger, but my body wasn't reflecting it. Well, after 2 months I finally see results. My legs are rock solid from all the walking, I'm starting to see muscle definition in my chest, shoulders and biceps. The other day I got itchy on my side and when I went to scratch I felt a solid mass and was shocked to realize it was my back muscles. I looked in the mirror and I'm starting to have that inverted triangle shape of broad shoulders/chest to slim waist, except I look more like a rumbus, because I still have persistent belly fat that is taking much longer to get rid of. I think I'll add specific ab workouts to my existing routine.
I've also took up a pushup routine - specifically this one: https://hundredpushups.com/week1.html

I'm only a couple of weeks in now but it is encouraging to hear how quickly results could potentially happen.

The swimming pool was closed today and for the next 2 days so I went to the gym for core strengthening. Best part was the 2.5km warm up and the 2.5 of cooling down running at recovery pace on the treadmill.

My ankle is not fully recovered but here’s the thing: One should never rest his legs in an absolute way after small injuries, otherwise the muscles and joints get much weaker. Plus the subconscious gets a message that body is strong. There is a fine line that one can rest his legs and have some light exercise too.

Anyway, only 3 full days without running and it felt like a month.
I absolutely loved it. Pure happiness! :)

I'll be running with the local running club this week, with an eye to potentially joining them. I don't really love the idea of paying to run when I can do it for free, but I need to expand my social circle - the holidays when I am not teaching can feel a bit isolated - and this felt like the easiest way to do it!

It’s worthy 100% you’ll get motivation, ideas and street intelligence for new races. Not to mention the social aspect. Guaranteed improvement & step up in your social life. Best money I spent in 2023; I wish I had done it a couple of years earlier.

It's nice to see this thread is still running.

A month ago, I had my first "proper" 10K race in the last five years. It took me exactly one hour. It could've been a bit shorter if it weren't for unplanned problems (caught the flu a week before and hadn't run until the race) and some planned problems (always, always I say to myself to pace at the start. But every time, I go and run over "just this group of people" so I have a better stretch in front of me, and "this group of people" just kept on coming, which made me run much faster than I'm used to and, of course, ends in me taking walking breaks towards the end). But I finished it, and that was the most important thing for me. Just go there and finish it. (The first time I was nervous since I hadn't run for such a long time).

Unlike five years ago, now I try to prolong my running distance and, since last month, take different running methods. I got to admit, I can see the results, but damn, it is much, much harder to do. So far, I'm adding a kilometer every week or two hoping to catch some half-marathon before June. Damn, that extra kilometer every time takes every atom of my power. I know I should pace it more carefully, or take more care of exercising before running, but just can't afford to plan my runs (for example, since New Year's I've had four runs a week, and last two weeks that number came down to two. I should get back to three soon I hope, with days being longer and warmer.)

I knew a marathon would be a big deal, I just didn't imagine it would take so much planning.

I knew a marathon would be a big deal, I just didn't imagine it would take so much planning.

Marathon preparation is exhausting man! But once you achieved it worths every minute.
What you describe is unfortunately below basic. If you are for the long run (this is to say actually reach marathon day) you need to step up your organisation, like choose /prepare your running gear (shoes, apparel, heart monitor, etc.) from the night before, your proteins, vitamins etc., in order and ready to go, probably have done your homework for suitable paths to run & having a plan B, i.e., treadmill in the gym for the days of super cold or when no much time available. Also it's good to keep a diary with your runs and adjust your diet accordingly, i.e., before interval sessions consume carbs, after interval protein and so on.

Last edited:
I'll be running with the local running club this week, with an eye to potentially joining them. I don't really love the idea of paying to run when I can do it for free, but I need to expand my social circle - the holidays when I am not teaching can feel a bit isolated - and this felt like the easiest way to do it!
An update to this: I went to a taster session this week. I had a good time so I've signed up fully and will be returning. It helped that the signup cost was noticeably less than I previously thought. :p

Almost 3 weeks after the race and my ankle while getting better by the day, still aches.

Yesterday I did a nice very slow run (8:00/km pace) actually a combination of run and walk, around Acropolis and on the hill of Filopapou exactly opposite from the temple. I have to admit this style of “running” is a very lazy one and pretty much one of my favourites.

IMG_2662.jpeg IMG_2667.jpeg
IMG_2669.jpeg IMG_2672.jpeg

Back