The Official Stanley Cup Playoffs Thread

LooseCannon

Enterprise-class aircraft carrier
Staff member
So here's the breakdown.

West:
Detroit (1) beats Edmonton (8) in overtime, 3-2. Roloson makes 53 saves.
Colorado (7) beats Dallas (2) 5-2.
Calgary (3) beats Anaheim (6) 2-1 in overtime. Giguere does not start for the Ducks.
Nashville (4) beats San Jose (5) 4-3. Kariya has 4 points, Nashville is without main goaltender Vokoun.

East:
Ottawa (1) beats Tampa Bay (8) 4-1.
Montreal (7) beats Carolina (2) 6-1. Huet makes 42 stops.
New Jersey (3) beats New York Rangers (6) 6-1. Elias has 6 points. Jagr appears to be badly hurt - possible dislocated shoulder.
Buffalo and Philly are in OT at 2-2 at this writing.

Thoughts? Predictions?

Kathmandu will beat Luanda hands down, 16-0, since there is no ice in Angola.

San Jose and Edmonton have evened up their series!!! Woohoo! If it wasn't for me staying over at a friends house I wouldn't have seen crap. The only thing that sucks about not having TV. As long as I see the finals i'm good though.

And a 8-2 Woopin' for the Flyers!!! They went crying home to mommy [img src=\"style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/biggrin.gif\" style=\"vertical-align:middle\" emoid=\":D\" border=\"0\" alt=\"biggrin.gif\" /]

Both NYR and Philly seem to have run out of steam...taking a 2-0 deficit back home is hard. Go Habs!

Ok, so I got to see Det. vs Edmonton last night and while it was dissapointing to see the Wings even up the series it was pretty cool to see (actually hear lol) the Edmonton crowd chant "BULL-SHIT" after no penalty was called on Lidstrom and his power play goal stood after running over.... Smyth I believe on their 2-man-advantage. The anouncer was like "The crowd is chanting... you know what they're saying..." well DUH! it filled the entire arena for like 2 minutes! God its good to see hockey again.

Ok, I am really happy because I've never seen so much hockey in the past three years as I have the past couple of days LOL. However, two bummers, Mtl lost and so did Colorado. I know Dallas is the higher seed but when you are down 3-0 in the series too bad. At the same time this is bad for Colorado that have blown huge leads before (Minesota anyone?). At any rate sure scoring is what wins games but so are doing all the little things.
In going over the stats the team that won dominated across the board with more shots on goal, more shots blocked, greater passing and faceoff wins %'s and superior special teams. In other words, teams are playing hard, and giving fans good games and in fact the better team is winning.

Aside from the bad news the good one is Philadelphia won. I don't know why I like them over the Sabres, I just do, I don't like the fact that they keep playing Esche over Nittymaki, but I guess he has redeemed himself... somewhat. Tomorrow it will be fun to see Ottawa put away the Lightning who have clearly suffered from Khabibulin's departure barely making it into the playoffs and currently on the verge of elimination.

New Jersey is one period away from sweeping New Jersey. It's only 2-1 and there's still alot of hockey left, but I think they can pull it off. Oilers are winning 3-1 with one period left. Pretty good day so far.

The Montreal-Carolina has been a good series so far. Especially game two. The first overtime was one of the best games I've seen all year. That's probably what I get from watching the Leafs... [img src=\"style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/sleep.gif\" style=\"vertical-align:middle\" emoid=\"-_-\" border=\"0\" alt=\"sleep.gif\" /]

Yeah, the Leafs have a serious problem with that thing you're supposed to do......what's it? Winning.

Hahaha. Something's wrong with that team, but I think they're changing for the better. They're going to suck hard for a few years, but when/if they reap the benefits of a youth movement it'll be better than losing in the 2nd round of the playoffs every year.

Ottawa just eliminated Tampa Bay. I'm pretty bummed about that. I can't stand them.

Flames game is about to start. Go Calgary! ::

Canadian teams are looking good.

Edmonton 3
Detroit 2

Calgary 3
Anaheim 2

Ottawa 4
Tampa Bay 1

Montreal 2
Carolina 2

The cup is coming home.

GO OILERS!

Montreal can kiss Ottawa's ass for all I care lol.

Back on topic though, it seems i know my west teams better than my east, because all of my favorites have advanced or are about to (You can do it Edmonton!!). In the East, only Ottawa passed with flying colors while NYR were a huge dissapointment do to injuries across the board (Jagr: shoulder, Kasperatis: knee i think, Lundqvist: groin) and Philly struggling for some apparent reason. In the Carolina/Montreal series I want Montreal to win because I do want the cup to end up somewhere in canada, but mostly because I could care less about Carolina lol.

Montreal is finished. Only Calgary and Anahiem still have Round 1 games.

Heh, go Oilers! Great game last night.

The Oilers game was interesting.  I wouldn't call it great - a combination of shitty goaltending (Legace), great goaltending (Roloson), and pure dumb luck.

Montreal...well.  I think it would have been a completely different series if they had called Williams high stick on Koivu.  That slash took the heart out of the team.

Agreed, if they had called BOTH of William's "accidental" high sticks it would be different, I still cannot beilieve he got away with it! Calgary Anaheim tonight!!! GO FLAMES!!!

First round of the playoffs is over, and the next round matchups are:

Ottawa (1) vs Buffalo (4)
Carolina (2) vs New Jersey (3)

San Jose (5) vs Edmonton (8)
Anaheim (6) vs Colorado (7)

Back