The Official Book of Souls Tour 2016 Thread (Warning: Spoilers within!)

Having seen Maiden at two shows in a row, I now wonder if Bruce's voice going missing on the higher notes was a microphone problem, as I thought after Download, or his voice not having enough power on those high notes.
He wasn't that good (I'm mild here) on some of the higher notes in Oslo. It clearly went better in Arnhem. So, the tour takes some toll as it progresses.

@Adrian leaving out the solo in Gothenburg:
That's odd, seeing Adrian suddenly playing these chords instead. Never done before, unless we count the studio recording itself!

Last edited by a moderator:
Any news/views of a Nordic tour shirt?

main7166.jpg

@Forostar: This is old news to some of us, but I figured you might appreciate it. Are you aware that Adrian played the second solo of Hallowed in Chicago? This was due to a technical difficulty on Janick's end.

H did the solo in Hallowed last night???!!!
YES HE DID AND IT WAS AMAZING!!!!!!!! I like Janick, but I couldn't be happier that his guitar chose to fail at that exact moment. It was like watching Hallowed 30 years ago!
Ok I've seen some other clips from that night and I think I know what happened. Janick's JMP Marshall blew up during the intro of Hallowed, so he went backstage and waited for his tech to fix the problem. Adrian has seen that and played the solo. Janick is also playing the solo underneath, because he uses a different preamp (Mesa) for it. It is also possible that Jan finished the show with only Mesa, because if you listen to FOTD from yesterday, the clean intro sounds too distorted and Jan tried to compensate with turning the guitar down, but it's not the same.
Can confirm, his guitar definitely failed. From where I sat I could see directly behind the stage and Janick was talking with his techs and getting a new guitar ready throughout Hallowed. FOTD definitely sounded different, but it still worked.

Here is a video I was able to find quickly. I'm sure there's better video out there somewhere.

So how long has it been since the last time Adrian played this solo live??

Gothenburg was amazing even though the sound wasn't really that good. The setlist is just fantastic on this tour with very few of the classics I'm a bit tired of. And ending with blood brothers (not really a favourite but god did it work well here) and wastes years instead of the usuals left me almost moved to tears. And of course having Opeth as warm up made me really happy. Raven age was very boring though.
Also I really enjoyed death or glory a lot more than I thought, loved the swing feel of it, felt almost slower than on the record and to me that made it a lot better (I know a lot of people disagrees). Today I'm exhausted.

@Forostar: This is old news to some of us, but I figured you might appreciate it. Are you aware that Adrian played the second solo of Hallowed in Chicago? This was due to a technical difficulty on Janick's end.

Here is a video I was able to find quickly. I'm sure there's better video out there somewhere.

So how long has it been since the last time Adrian played this solo live??
The last time was when Janick fell off stage in Mannheim, 8 July 2000, which was the only time since 1988. In Mannheim, Maiden played Hallowed without Janick. Listen here:

More info:
Janick Gers slips off the stage after 2:25, just before the solos of the Number Of The Beast. Also the first time since 12/12/1988 when Adrian Smith plays the 2nd solo of Hallowed Be Thy Name (11:51).

The band decided to play The Number Of The Beast again and then Hallowed Be Thy Name. Sanctuary wasn't played due to the incident. Otherwise, the setlist was same as it was throughout the whole Brave New World Tour.

Occured on July 8th, 2000. No video footage exists from this show =(

Note: The second version of the Number Of The Beast is cut due to the 15min limit (the second verse has been edited out).

- Article about the accident (Guitar.com - 7/10/2000) -

Janick Gers Injured in Mannheim Stage Fall

Guitarist Janick Gers was involved in a serious accident on Saturday night, July 8th, while Iron Maiden were playing their show in Mannheim, Germany, which resulted in him being taken straight to the hospital.

The accident happened just after the band returned onstage for their encores. Halfway through the first song, during his guitar solo, Janick lost his footing at the front of the stage and fell more than 10 feet into the photographers pit and onto the concrete floor of the venue.

He was knocked unconscious and received a gash across his forehead, which required 6 stitches. He also sprained his back and had severe bruising in a number of places. Fears that he may have suffered much more serious injury were not realized after Janick was taken immediately by ambulance to the local hospital for x-rays and treatment.

Janick has now been released and has returned back to London following medical advice from the hospital that he must take a full week off for recovery. Unfortunately, this has meant that the band have had to cancel their shows in Essen, Germany (yesterday) and the shows in Sophia, Bulgaria and Athens, Greece.

Says Steve Harris, "We are always very disappointed when we are forced to cancel shows in this way, but we are also relieved that Janick is recovering, as it was a serious fall. We were all very concerned for him when he was taken away in the ambulance.

Right now all we can say is sorry to our fans in Germany, Bulgaria and Greece, but I'm sure they can understand the reason and will also wish Janick a quick recovery."

- - - - -

Very cool Lampwick! Thanks, much appreciated. Any other exceptions this tour would be very welcome! :)

Did Janick have the same problem in other songs? Or only missed (parts of) Hallowed?

@MrKnickerbocker in the clip it can be clearly heard that Janick also plays the solo, and it even sounds at least as loud. Too bad Adrian can hardly be heard.

That was taken exactly where i stood. Very easy to see. The tall dude at left. The guy taking off with wrist bands. And the girl that screams in the end i was there with.

Maiden is just to fecking good.

@MrKnickerbocker in the clip it can be clearly heard that Janick also plays the solo, and it even sounds at least as loud. Too bad Adrian can hardly be heard.

During Hallowed in Chicago? I'm pretty sure that's just Murray's solo. I could see directly backstage and know for a fact that Janick wasn't playing anything. He was fussing with his guitar techs.

During Hallowed in Chicago? I'm pretty sure that's just Murray's solo. I could see directly backstage and know for a fact that Janick wasn't playing anything. He was fussing with his guitar techs.

Janick also played the solo. Check the videos from the right side of the stage and you can hear him pretty clearly (Jan is panned right).

This was the third time I saw the band at Ullevi and I think that this was the best one...just look at this:

Nicko was given the microphone at the end, 2:05. :)

Hear again Knick. It's pretty clear indeed.

Huh, very odd. I got my timelines confused, I guess. Looks like he fixed the guitar just in time to start playing and then took the stage at the tail end of the solo. Wish we could get a soundboard mix of this so that we could hear the dueling solos!

Apparently there is an Aston Villa + Iron Maiden T-Shirt sale somewhere on Facebook. Maybe stadion tour in the UK next year?

I also think it is unlikely, because if they would do stadium tour it would be only about 7 dates (1 Ireland, 2 Scotland, 4 England). If they do an arena tour it would be at least 15 dates.

Back