The Official Book of Souls Tour 2016 Thread (Warning: Spoilers within!)

A lot of concerts here aren't confirmed to quite close to the show, Megadeth was only confirmed about 6 weeks out. There is still 5 months to the possible shows.

That's interesting, I hadn't heard that before. I hope you get to see them. Would restrictions be more relaxed in Hong Kong, do you think?

And if you have trouble with the presale codes, I'm sure some friendly folks on here will help out.

Taylor Swift is playing 3 concerts in Shanghai this week (all sold out, saw her last year she put on a good show), the shows were almost cancelled because Taylor launched a clothes line over here called TS 1989, harmless enough (her initials and year of birth / album title) but for historical reasons ... well it didn't go down well. Katy Perry did 2 shows (saw one, good fun) and some locals got upset that some of the colours used during the concert meant something political. Alas, some performers like Bjork and Elton John have come here and shot their mouths off on stage about things they shouldn't talk about so gigs then get shelved. We have had a number of Swedish Death metal bands pass through they who have hadn't problems with their lyrics.

Very difficult to buy official music here, everyone downloads for free! I tried to buy the new rather brilliant Def Leppard album as a download from Amazon.uk they wouldn't allow me so i downloaded for free, doesn't make sense.

Hong Kong is very easy to play, ditto Taiwan. Not sure if Maiden have played Bangkok or Manila but both cities have big metal following they would sell out arenas there no problems. Shanghai more hit and miss.

Official website and Fan Club still not working, may have to send my username and password to someone next week.

For all that Shanghai is a good city for foreigners, very very safe, I was in downtown LA recently, man what a different world.

Finally, Maiden should come here as it's ... The Final Frontier!

" I know on last Maiden tour in Belfast they dropped The Trooper and played Dance of Death instead"

Dance of Death wasn't played instead, it was in the set for the whole tour. I was at the gig and they dropped The Trooper and didn't replace it so we got one song less than other gigs. They dropped it because they got booed when Bruce waved the union jack in Dublin on the AMOLAD tour, Bruce said, and I paraphrase, "we normally play The Trooper at this point but we got booed the last time because of a flag so were not playin it" Basically telling us to wise up. Gutted to miss the tune but they made the right call, if we act like dicks, we get treated like dicks!

Hope to fuck they play Dublin as I cant make Donnington but I doubt they will, they'll probably add Dublin when they do a proper UK tour.
Lets hope there's a UK/Ireland arena tour in 2016 after their 'only UK appearance' a la 7th Son tour

@Niall Kielt something is still not logical:

In 2010 Maiden came to Dublin and the song was not played. But it was not played in whole 2010.
In 2011 Maiden came to Belfast and the song was not played. It was played on the rest of 2011.

I am reading that it wasn't played in Belfast "due to flag issues regarding the Odyssey Arena and Northern Ireland in general." See:
http://www.ead666.com/Temp/Out/2010/2011-08-03 Belfast.html

In 2003 and 2005 Maiden played The Trooper in Dublin (they played North-Ireland for the last time in 1996).
It would be weird to not play it in Belfast in 2011 if it got booed in Dublin(!) in 2005 or earlier, wouldn't it? Different cities, different countries.

@Niall Kielt something is still not logical:

In 2010 Maiden came to Dublin and the song was not played. But it was not played in whole 2010.
In 2011 Maiden came to Belfast and the song was not played. It was played on the rest of 2011.

I am reading that it wasn't played in Belfast "due to flag issues regarding the Odyssey Arena and Northern Ireland in general." See:
http://www.ead666.com/Temp/Out/2010/2011-08-03 Belfast.html

In 2003 and 2005 Maiden played The Trooper in Dublin (they played North-Ireland for the last time in 1996).
It would be weird to not play it in Belfast in 2011 if it got booed in Dublin(!) in 2005 or earlier, wouldn't it? Different cities, different countries.

Well not too weird, different countries technically but a lot of the issues around Britain/Britishness are the same in the north and the south so if it got booed in Dublin it would certainly have got booed in Belfast. I thought that in Bruces speech in Belfast 2011 he referred directly to getting booed previously but maybe my memory fails me (I was quite drunk!) and maybe he was just referring to general flag issues in Northern Ireland. The fact remains, Iron Maiden owe me one song!! I suppose we just need them to come back to Dublin with a set that should feature the Trooper and see if they play it...

Also, I was at the 1996 gig and it was shocking, they played a half full leisure centre. No wonder that didnt come back to Belfast for 15yrs!

I still find it odd if Maiden throw these cities together, blaming people (North Ireland) for other people's (Ireland) behaviour. If Bruce really meant the same city (Belfast), then that would mean it got booed in the Blaze era! 15 years earlier (you were there)!

They always played it in Dublin, when it was in the tour set (and when Dublin was in the tour ;) ).

I don't think the decision would have been based entirely on the experience in Dublin, they probably had a careful think about the political climate in Northern Ireland at the time, too.

I still find it odd if Maiden throw these cities together, blaming people (North Ireland) for other people's (Ireland) behaviour. If Bruce really meant the same city (Belfast), then that would mean it got booed in the Blaze era! 15 years earlier (you were there)!

They always played it in Dublin, when it was in the tour set (and when Dublin was in the tour ;) ).

I'm not suggesting that Bruce was referring to Belfast in the Blaze era, he definitely was not. There would be booing in Belfast (Northern Ireland) if the union jack got waved, that's a fact, it would be worse than it was in Dublin (Republic of Ireland) so it was a good idea to drop it, whatever the reason!

It may seem odd to throw the 2 cities together but it is a strange situation on my island. North and south are the same but different. But the same. But different.

Id love them to do Belfast and Dublin the next time but they see to just do one or the other these days. Surely theres enough fans over here to fill two arenas?!

They dropped The Trooper for the Belfast gig on TFF tour, 2nd leg, 3rd August 2011.

The Union Jack flag waving incident you're both referring to was Dublin, December 2003, on DoD tour:
http://www.thefreelibrary.com/UNION+JACK+FURY+OF+IRON+MAIDEN+FANS;+POINT+CROWD+BOO+AT+FLAG+WAVING.-a011078387

The reason they dropped it in 2011, in Belfast, was due to the following:
http://usercontent2.hubimg.com/2050091.jpg
For those who are familiar with NI, this needs no explaining.

The 2003 article makes the connection with the NI murals & the hostility of the Dublin crowd to to the Union Jack --& in particular the connection with Trooper Eddie:
Their mascot Eddie has been an inspiration for several loyalist paramilitaries who have used his image on wall murals throughout the North.

In Derry, Iron Maiden's "Eddie" is depicted as a UFF soldier with a backdrop of a burning Bogside and dead republicans.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eddie_the_Head#cite_note-23
Northern Ireland

During the course of the Troubles in Northern Ireland, Eddie the Head, specifically as he appeared on the sleeve of "The Trooper", became an unofficial mascot of the Ulster Freedom Fighters loyalist paramilitary group and was the main figure on a number of the group's murals.[21][22]

During The Final Frontier World Tour in 2011, after Iron Maiden did not perform "The Trooper" in Belfast, Blabbermouth.net reported that there had been speculation amongst fans that this was due to the artwork's use in murals.[23]

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/iron-maiden-will-make-at-least-one-more-album-says-bruce-dickinson/
In other news, IRON MAIDEN did not perform its classic song "The Trooper" during the band's headlining concert last night (Wednesday, August 3) in Belfast, Northern Ireland. Although no official explanation was given by the group for its decision to omit the track from the setlist, MAIDEN fans are speculating that this is because the band's mascot, Eddie, has been an inspiration for several Irish loyalist paramilitaries who have used its image from "The Trooper" single on wall murals throughout the North of Ireland (Photo#1, Photo#2, Photo#3).

Back in 2003, MAIDEN's Irish fans erupted in fury when Dickinson provocatively waved two giant Union Jacks during the band's first concert in Ireland in almost 10 years.

Read more at http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/ir...bum-says-bruce-dickinson/#4dAKcg22B3mPDYHj.99

Last edited by a moderator:
Incident in Dublin 2o03? So 'kin what ==> Trooper not dropped in Dublin in 2005.

Belfast 2011? As I said earlier: It's probably just this and nothing else: Trooper not played "due to flag issues regarding the Odyssey Arena and Northern Ireland in general."

The question is: Did Maiden ever play the Trooper without waving the flag? And what happened in Belfast, the previous time, in 1996?

They dropped The Trooper for the Belfast gig on TFF tour, 2nd leg, 3rd August 2011.

The Union Jack flag waving incident you're both referring to was Dublin, December 2003, on DoD tour:
http://www.thefreelibrary.com/UNION+JACK+FURY+OF+IRON+MAIDEN+FANS;+POINT+CROWD+BOO+AT+FLAG+WAVING.-a011078387

The reason they dropped it in 2011, in Belfast, was due to the following:
http://usercontent2.hubimg.com/2050091.jpg
For those who are familiar with NI, this needs no explaining.

The 2003 article makes the connection with the NI murals & the hostility of the Dublin crowd to to the Union Jack & in particular in connection with Trooper Eddie:

The Trooper Eddie has been used in murals in Belfast as well as Derry but even if it wasn't there would still be booing at the waving of the flag, I'm sure some fans who booed made the mural connection but most just saw a flag they don't much care for.

RE Belfast '96, no flag waving, no issue. Forostar, indeed you are right, it was played in '05 and I cant recall any booing that time but again, I may have been slightly drunk. So. you may be right, ie. "due to flag issues regarding the Odyssey Arena and Northern Ireland in general."

Well, what a fine waste of time this has been. Ireland is great, north and south, come see it sometime!

I'd love to really! Right now it sounds a little too expensive for me. But I'll get there, one day!

Very exciting! The new album is fantastic and I'll be seeing them on April 16th in LA. It'll be my 2nd Maiden concert. :)

Back