The Media Bollocks Again

LooseCannon

Enterprise-class aircraft carrier
Staff member
Alright. Check out [a href=\'http://observer.guardian.co.uk/omm/0,12103,1033618,00.html\' target=\'_blank\']this list[/a] and tell me if it's bullshit.

Notice all the pop groups noone listens to anymore.

Notice the absence of Deep Purple, Iron Maiden, and Queen.

Notice how Black Sabbath gets one album, at like number 92.

Hey, media! Fuck right off!

It does seem to be a very pop based one. People do rend to forget a certin type of music if its controversal, only the really famous ones, i never pay much attention to what the papers have to say anyway.

half of it is bollocks.. its just media shite....... the rest is reasonable, but no where near 100 greatest albums

Just one more of thousands of headache inducing "best of' lists which of course never come even close. I've never heard of the supposed #1 album hahaha

Maiden have never been media favourites cos they refuse to bow to 'fashion', which makes up 99% of mainstream music press. Hence media will not acknowledge one of the most time-served, successful, innovative, 'unfashionable' groups of rock history. Ignore these meaningless polls and just listen to the awesome music!!
(I heard Eddies' sharpening his axe anyhow...be afraid Observer... be very afraid.) [!--emo&:angry:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/mad.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'mad.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

Oh, we do. I just found it somewhat shocking that even a pop-dominated poll like this could ignore Queen.

I never pay attention to these damn "best of..." type polls like this. They just make me mad. I've seen good lists but nearly all of them consist of shitty pop groups and the like. Here's an actually [a href=\'http://www.metal-rules.com/polls/top100/top100.htm\' target=\'_blank\']good list[/a] though (something scarcely seen).

[!--QuoteBegin-LooseCannon+Jun 20 2004, 05:19 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(LooseCannon @ Jun 20 2004, 05:19 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--] I just found it somewhat shocking that even a pop-dominated poll like this could ignore Queen. [/quote]
While I'm not familiar with every album on their list, it looks to me like they're actually picking albums, not just collections of good songs. They're picking albums which, when listened to from start to finish, are more than the sum of their parts. Queen was a singles band: their albums were never classic, though the extracted singles were great.

@ Onhell - you've never heard of the Stone Roses?!?!? While the bulk of their popularity was confined to England, that album was huge back in 1989. Of course, it wasn't huge with the metal crowd - it was more popular with the lame-ass alternative crowd ... you know, the kind of dopes who listened to shit like the cure and depeche mode. But it was a big enough hit that even a metalhead like me heard about it. If you were a youngster like LooseCannon then I could understand, but I thought you were old enough to remember that one. (Maybe I'm remembering wrong and you're not as old as I think [!--emo&:D--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/biggrin.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'biggrin.gif\' /][!--endemo--] )

[!--QuoteBegin-StrangerInAStrangeLand+Jun 20 2004, 08:48 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(StrangerInAStrangeLand @ Jun 20 2004, 08:48 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--] Here's an actually [a href=\'http://www.metal-rules.com/polls/top100/top100.htm\' target=\'_blank\']good list[/a] though (something scarcely seen). [/quote]
Heh ... I got 55 out of 100 on CD, and about a dozen more on cassette. Still, that means my collection is incomplete ... time to do some downloading ...

[!--QuoteBegin--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]Queen was a singles band: their albums were never classic, though the extracted singles were great.[/quote]

That is not correct. You can apply this only to the eighties pop albums like "The Works" and, in lesser degree, "Hot Space" and "A Kind Of Magic". If you listened to any of their material from the seventies, you wouldn't say that.
Queen did make a commercial approach with the eighties, but the only albums which really suffer from being a mere collection of songs are "The Game" and "The Works". All others work as albums. The first three are almost concept albums, with their lyrical or musical themes fitting perfectly together. "A Night At The Opera" suffers a bit from the predominance of "Bohemian Rhapsody", but would be a strong album without it. It is, indeed, a classic. So is "A Day At The Races". "News Of The World" would perfectly work without WWRY/WATC and so on.
A particular masterpiece is "Innuendo", which is perhaps the most carefully thought-out Queen album ever.

Listen through the Queen discography and you'll find that some of their best songs weren't released as singles: Great King Rat, Doing All Right, White Queen, The March Of The Black Queen, '39, The Prophet's Song, White Man, It's Late; I could go on forever!

SMX:

There were compilation albums in the list; also, a few of the people recommended Queen's Greatest Hits. Similarly, there were a lot of one hit wonders in that list (or so I've been told.)

And Onhell's younger than me, ergo, a child.

Not to mention that Queen's Greatest Hits is one of the best-selling albums in history (11* Platinum)

SMX, I have to say that unfortunately I'm only 20 (21 in less than a month yay). However before I got into Metal I listened mostly to 50's and 60's rock and some stuff out of the 70's (mainly ABBA and the BeeGees). I started getting into metal at 16 and when I moved to Tucson and finally started building my own cd collection instead of leaching off my brother's I've bought nothing but metal. Now that I have a little over 120 cds of metal I'll start getting other music I like. And you should start BUYING not DOWNLOADING music! I'm suprised from an old guy like you to download LOL.

This tells us that the music world is destroyed by money. How commercial you are depends on how much money is invested. Its like everything becomes good after a person payed money to MTV or any other crap to promote their product. And the result is some crappy list. Maybe they rate the albums at how much money is invested.

Well, not necesarily. The key to selling records is exposure, of course you have to be good too because even if you get good exposure if you suck nobody will buy your records. To get yourself out there it takes money, the more money you have the more exposure you get (i.e Music videos radio play, interviews etc.) This works in every circle, like politics. The party with More Money gets more exposure. In the U.S it's the Republicans and Democrats while the other parties are mostly ignored by the public. In Mexico you have the PRI, PAN and PRD and the rest just tag along. After good exposure comes concerts, the larger the venue the more people the more money to keep the exposure going. That's why Bands like Metallica are REALLY great, because in the early days they sold records WITHOUT much exposure, just word of mouth. But take Modest Mouse. I had NO CLUE who they were. Turns out they are an indie band whose been around for 10 YEARS and until they shot a music video they only had a cult following. Same for Liz Phair and so on. The problem is that pop acts like Backstreet boys, nsync and brittany spears saturate MTV because there is no commitee anywhere saying that there must be equal air play. You pay you get played, the more you pay the more you get played.

[!--QuoteBegin-Onhell+Jun 22 2004, 12:44 AM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Onhell @ Jun 22 2004, 12:44 AM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--] The key to selling records is exposure, of course you have to be good too because even if you get good exposure if you suck nobody will buy your records. [/quote]
They actually don't really have to be good. Nearly all of the commercial artists out there are awful. The general public just judges songs by how catchy and/or how "cool" they sound. That can pretty much explain why there can be so many great bands that aren't recognized by nearly enough people. Too many people have no idea what qualities make up good music. Exposure, catchiness, and/or "coolness" are in most cases the qualities that makes a succesful artist. However, there are also the great deal of bands that got to be succesful by sheer talent which enabled them to acquire enough money to be exposed to a large audience. Maiden is probably the most succesful British metal band and they got to where they are without many songs considered catchy because they're a great band. They aren't just another no-talent band that tries to make music that's catchy or sounds "cool" like nu-metal.

Perun, I have to disagree with your assessment of Queen's albums - except Innuendo, which I'll admit to having overlooked when I made my first post; that is in fact a great album. But as for the rest: they never impressed me. It sounded to me like Queen was reaching for something but never got there. They get an A for effort, but not for the records.

The fact that Queen's 2 greatest hits CDs are recognized as their best "albums" just proves my point. The singles were great; the rest was mediocre at best. That's my story and I'm sticking to it. [!--emo&:p--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/tongue.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'tongue.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

Back