The Man Who Would Be King

How good is The Man Who Would Be King on a scale of 1-10?

• Total voters
Khan said:
That's an excellent question. I am usually very good at picking out the different solos from the guys....however this brilliant little understated piece (too low in the mix, IMO, btw) has the fluidity of Dave, and the technicality of Adrian. however...the tone sounds more like Dave to me...and it's Dave's song....so I'm going to lean towards it being Dave...without being 100% sure.
What I meant by the first part of that question was what other artist does that solo interlude remind you of.  There is a certain guitarist from another band that I am thinking of.  Should be easy for you to realize right off of the bat.

adrian fn rules said:
What I meant by the first part of that question was what other artist does that solo interlude remind you of.  There is a certain guitarist from another band that I am thinking of.  Should be easy for you to realize right off of the bat.

Well, I like a lot of music ranging all the way out to Simon & Garfunkel and the Indigo Girls...so sometimes I hear a guitar solo that can give me little hints of several artists.

I listened close again, and nothing would have jumped out at me without being prompted....but perhaps are you thinking of Alex Lifeson from Rush. I can hear a little of him in there.

I tell you what, though....in Isle Of Avalon, in that mid-section wandering jazzy solo-ish part, there's an absolutely unmistakable Alex Lifeson connection in that! That definitely blew me away first time I heard it, as I've never heard a mid-section anything like that, from Maiden.

So....if I was wrong about the guitarist you're thinking of....give me a hint, please! :)

Khan said:
Well, I like a lot of music ranging all the way out to Simon & Garfunkel and the Indigo Girls...so sometimes I hear a guitar solo that can give me little hints of several artists.

I listened close again, and nothing would have jumped out at me without being prompted....but perhaps are you thinking of Alex Lifeson from Rush. I can hear a little of him in there.

I tell you what, though....in Isle Of Avalon, in that mid-section wandering jazzy solo-ish part, there's an absolutely unmistakable Alex Lifeson connection in that! That definitely blew me away first time I heard it, as I've never heard a mid-section anything like that, from Maiden.

So....if I was wrong about the guitarist you're thinking of....give me a hint, please! :)
well, since you didnt put your description of the solo in a spoiler tag, i guess i wont either!  That passage sounds like Neal Schon to me. Maybe like "the lost instrumental" from Red 13 ? i thought since u are a huge journey fan that u would have thought that also.  however, everything is subjective right?

adrian fn rules said:
well, since you didnt put your description of the solo in a spoiler tag, i guess i wont either!  That passage sounds like Neal Schon to me. Maybe like "the lost instrumental" from Red 13 ? i thought since u are a huge journey fan that u would have thought that also.  however, everything is subjective right?

Holy crap....listening again...not sure why I didn't hear it before....even the guitar tone is similar to Red 13. Nice catch, dude. Kinda funny, too....since that's the album cover I did for them, LOL!

I was super excited for this song when I first read the title when they announced the track listing. I was a tad bit disappointed to be honest... Though, since I'm on my 8th listen, and paying more attention to the lyrics (when you play guitar, you tend to focus on the guitar and not on the overall song), they're truly haunting. I'm starting to like this more and more each day. :)

I love the part at the end where it slows down and Dave plays that solo, and it gives me that 80s Maiden vibe. And Bruce going "oh oh oh oh....oh oh oh oh"... far far away, etc... Awesome. :edmetal:

Another great song, but i think it would be better without the calm intro. It really doesn't need it and doesn't flow well with the rest of the song while the outro is fantastic .

Stan said:
I love the part at the end where it slows down and Dave plays that solo, and it gives me that 80s Maiden vibe. And Bruce going "oh oh oh oh....oh oh oh oh"... far far away, etc... Awesome. :edmetal:

Yeah that,s my favorite part. Reminds me of The Prophecy.

The intro to it is one the most beautiful slow intros ever, only Maiden could produce such brilliant thing in this plane of consciousness; the lyrics seems very close to the movie that was mentioned in the former topic post and also, it relates to myself very much. This song is my fave so far on the album. Utterly fantastic!!!

It's up there for me as well.  I'm not getting the "I'm not getting that one yet" comments.  (I mean, I get it...but it doesn't make complete sense to me as I think it's pretty awesome).  ;) 

Some of the pieces are awesome, but it hasn't clicked. I'm going to take it out on the headphones under a Pacific sunset.
For me right now it's a good song cursed by being surrounded by better ones.

Curious what people think of the lyrics, particularly those who like to get into Steve's head a little.

We've got the character in the Final Frontier who's lived a long busy life chasing his dreams and has no regrets.
And we've got the man who would be king, who's also lived a long busy life chasing his dreams and has a lot of making up to do.

Any statements being made here?

Even after many listens, the way Bruce sings the chorus at 2:25 still bores me, especially after that epic intro and build up. The rest is great though.

The first time I listened to this track, it ranked with Isle Of Avalon as the most 'what the fuck?' of the album. This is especially because of the part from 4:00-5:00 with the unclear solos and very unusual steady chord progression going on underneath that really sounds as unMaiden as you can get. And just when you think the song has ended it comes with something that could very well have been a beautiful chorus from 7:26 onwards. Giving it a few more listens though it emerges as a complex song with a sound meant to challenge the listener. Perhaps this song most of all embodies the enterprising, 'different', vibe that this whole album has about it. The lyrics again are strong, warning against hubris yet somehow making the main character seem wonderfully human, small, flawed, and yet likeable. Together with Isle of Avalon this song has grown on me and the lack of chorus doesn't make an iota of difference, it just doesn't need one. But it is perhaps a song for which one needs to be in the right mood.

Awesome song, Awesome song, Awesome song, I love it and want to cry

Now seriously, this track is one of the best on the album. It's easy to forget that Dave has such immense talent.
Too bad he gets a one good idea per albumXD

Back