The J.R.R. Tolkien Topic (publications and adaptations)

To be honest, I don't understand this particular battle either. I am not sure which one it is (even if it was mentioned in the film, I must have forgotten it). Maybe Sebas-Hero1995 or someone else knows?

And here the most ridiculous thing of the Hobbit film:
At some point Elrond takes the map, and says something about the moonletters in this vein:
"Hey, these can only be read at this specific moment"

*party moves outside*

Elrond says:
"Hey, we're lucky, it happens to be this specific moment right now!".
This certainly wasn't as Monty Pythonish in the book.

Hahh I remember that moment!! I think there was a mistake there...
Regarding the direction of the moon if I remember well, the moon was shown in the wrong direction (from full to new and not the other way around)

Also the king dwarf,
in reality is a very tall man.. Sometimes by director's mistake this (actor's real height) is shown in the film

You're welcome! :)

Galadriel and Gandalf both go back a long time, and are quite powerful and have a special connection.
Together with Elrond they own a Narya ring (Elven Rings of Power -> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rings_of_Power ) . :)
I've understood that the Magician was needing a Hobbit, due to the smell of his feet or something like this and his size of course, also that he knew Bilbo's ancestor, but I thought there was a better reason for that choice.. Why him and not some other Hobbit. And there is a hole here: Since they were needing a Hobbit why they left the next morning without converting another one?? They left while he was sleeping, to go where?? Supposedly they should have him or another Hobbit with them. Does not make sense..
Well, Gandalf still thought he would come, he won a bet. :)
The Dwarves were less convinced they needed him, or any other burglar. It was especially Gandalf's wish to take Bilbo.

Man I did some Tolkien research in wikipedia and been impressed by the relation he seemed to have with his wife.. They died about the same time and even Tolkien engraved names from Silmarillion (Luthien & Beren) on their grave.

From Tolkien's biographer:
Those friends who knew Ronald and Edith Tolkien over the years never doubted that there was deep affection between them. It was visible in the small things, the almost absurd degree in which each worried about the other's health, and the care in which they chose and wrapped each other's birthday presents'; and in the large matters, the way in which Ronald willingly abandoned such a large part of his life in retirement to give Edith the last years in Bournemouth that he felt she deserved, and the degree in which she showed pride in his fame as an author. A principal source of happiness to them was their shared love of their family. This bound them together until the end of their lives, and it was perhaps the strongest force in the marriage. They delighted to discuss and mull over every detail of the lives of their children, and later their grandchildren.

Indeed!

This discussion inspired me to read The Quest of Erebor from Unfinished Tales. An account of what happened before Gandalf visited Bilbo and the subsequent "An Unexpected Party", as seen by Gandalf himself.

Indeed!

This discussion inspired me to read The Quest of Erebor from Unfinished Tales. An account of what happened before Gandalf visited Bilbo and the subsequent "An Unexpected Party", as seen by Gandalf himself.

I was astonished instantly that you could read while at work, but then remembered that Sunday is a non-working day there -and almost anywhere else for that matters :D

So?? Anything worth mentioning in relation with the film???
I just realized that the fellowship of the party came one by one in Bilbo's place.. This by itself can be the start (or the end if you prefer) of a prequel story..

Well, they actually explained all of those points, maybe you dont remember. About the battle, they made it different from what it was in the books but in the movies it worked like this: The dwarves got expelled from The Lonely Mountain, so the king Thror, Thorin's grandfather, thought it would be a chance to take back Moria, since they left it centuries ago because of the Balrog we see in FOTR. When they arrive with an army or when they sent scouts, they found out there were many orcs in there, so they decided to battle them since Moria is sacred for them because it is the most important dwarven city. In the battle the orc slains Thror, tries to slain Thorin, Thorin cuts his hand, the dwarves overcome the orcs and win, but since there aren't left many dwarves alive, they decide to not try to retake Moria.

About the thing you say of Bilbo: They cut the scene but it's going to be in the Extended Edition,
but there's a scene where Gandalf meets Bilbo as a child in a hobbit party, and when he (Gandalf) fires a firework of a dragon, he's (Bilbo)the only one that is not afraid of it. Later he asks Gandalf a lot about the world outside the Shire in the same party, so Gandalf thinks that when he needs a hobbit, Bilbo Baggins is the best option. And about the thing you say of taking another hobbit, Thorin wasn't so happy after the dinner, he thought that Gandalf was mocking of him and that's why they left, yet Gandalf knew Bilbo would come.

And about Galadriel with Gandalf, it is not an affair, there hasn't been any, it's just friendship. If Peter Jackson changed that it would be a major blasphemy to Tolkien fans...

EDIT: lol Forostar, as I recently bought the Unfinished Tales, I just read the Quest for Erebor... It gives so much insight about Gandalf's motivations and what happened in the Unexpected Party after Bilbo fell asleep.

EXTRA EDIT: Also when I bought the unfinished tales I bought the hobbit art and design book, such a good book. It gives insight to the characters, cultures and makes you think about all the heavy-work to get this movies done. It also tells you about some scenes that will be in the Extended Edition,
such as the one of the Old Took Party, Bilbo going to the market and Gandalf going with Radagast to investigate Nazgul tombs after the White Council meeting...
And the book comes with a real size replica of Erebor's map

LOL...
gandalfproblemsolving.png

Thanks for that Sebas!!
This scene from extended edition makes so much sense, they shouldn't cut it. It is the missing link I was speaking about..

Hey Sebas, thanks for your extra comments.
About these extra scenes. I think I regard these as spoilers. perhaps you could put some tags there? Thanks!

So I just came back from the cinema. It's an infinitely fun movie. Thorin is badass, he's Aragorn of this movie, and almost as awesome. I'll read this thread later to see what other people here thought of the movie :D

Btw. this is so amazing:
A friend of mine haves the DVDSCR (the one they send to the Academy critics for the Oscar's voting) and he passed it to me... Totally awesome scenes, but still I'll buy the extended blu-ray... the quality is like this:
Put it in 480p... If not it totally sucks...
One of my favorite scenes of the whole movie because of the photography and the music

I'm thinking of seeing it again, this time in 3D. Ofc, that version with increased frame rate isn't available here though.

Back