The J.R.R. Tolkien Topic (publications and adaptations)

That's incredible. However, I'm not sure that sort of rapid firing approach would give much range. An archer using a longbow just wouldn't be able to move like that.

It's possible to shoot really fast and be very mobile with a recurve bow, that's what they're meant for, but not all types of archery work the same way. You can still shoot a lot of arrows relatively quickly with a longbow, but the range is what they're especially good for, and if you're shooting at a large group of men/horses, you don't need precise aim.

Originally, back in 2007, this thread was especially opened because of the then forthcoming movie (cycle) for Tolkien's The Hobbit. For years it had the title "The Hobbit on the big screen!".

Now I thought it would be appropriate to "upgrade" this topic to everything related to Tolkien. Books, films, games, you name it.

Right now I am reading The Hobbit to my five year old song (well, he's six in less than three weeks). I had some doubts because:
A: It could have some scary parts.
B: Maybe it would be better if he'd read this story himself, for the first time. Let's hope some of it will fade away before he'll read it himself.

In the end I still did it and he really likes it. But my God, some of these sentences are long. Ridiculous. And there are parts that are really long-winded. Reading this book after I have seen the film has increased my understanding for Jackson's own take, fitting better for cinema. (That doesn't mean that I take back any of the criticism I've uttered on the film.)

East Middle Earth
It is often said that Tolkien had only finished 1/3 of his life's work before he died and looking through all his books and notes shows much truth to that. Virtually nothing was written about what happened in the east of Middle Earth during the events of Tolkien's work, though from what we do know, it indicates something big was happening there.

The thing is, is it worth exploring?
http://observationdeck.io9.com/east-middle-earth-a-story-worth-telling-1691586234

It is often said that Tolkien had only finished 1/3 of his life's work before he died and looking through all his books and notes shows much truth to that.
Is it? By whom? And where does 1/3 come from?

Not being snide, I'm really wondering.

Not sure how much I'd trust that guy. He thinks the Elves left Cuivienen because Morgoth scared them away, and that's very obviously wrong (they left when the Valar invited them to Valinor, and Morgoth was jailed by the Valar at that time).

Is it? By whom? And where does 1/3 come from?

Not being snide, I'm really wondering.

Well, his existing notes indicate that he had a great many ideas he never got to complete. But I've never heard a specific ratio like "1/3" before.

Also, most of his unfinished ideas revolved around updating the Silmarillion to reflect how he felt later in life (much of the "official" work, especially the second half, was from early in JRRT's life). I've never before heard of any plans involving stories in the east.

Well, his existing notes indicate that he had a great many ideas he never got to complete. But I've never heard a specific ratio like "1/3" before.
True, though I don't think Tolkien would ever have completed the stories. If anything, his notes indicate that his views on them were ever-changing, and I doubt the Silmarillion stories would ever have reached a final shape he was happy with. Which, in a sense, is as it should be - a mythology is never "finished".

I too think it's unlikely he would have written anything about the East, it's not where his real-world literary and historical interests lay.

11037313_945937805446772_2323157878519319742_n.jpg

Back