The inspiration to the name IRON MAIDEN is Margaret Thatcher??

Breno

Prowler
Hello friends, I'm Brazilian, sorry for my poor english.

I have a doubt. I see an interview of Steve to Sounds magazine in 1979. In this interview he said the inspiration to the name IRON MAIDEN is the torture device. But much fans says the inspiration to the name is MARGARET THATCHER??? In the movie "flight 666" someone of the staff of the band, says the inspiration for the name of the band is actually Margaret Thatcher??

Actually, what the inspiration to the name IRON MAIDEN???

Hey, welcome to the forum.

I'd personally say it was the torture device, as i don't see why Harry would name his band after Thatcher. However, on the single covers of "Sanctuary" and "Women in Uniform", Margret Thatcher is indeed featured. On "Sanctuary", she is beign killing by Eddie after ripping down an Iron Maiden poster, and on "Women in Uniform", she is about to ambush Eddie with a Sten gun, seemingly in "Revenge".

Doubt it, because Thatcher was the Iron Lady.  And when Steve named the band in 1975, was Thatcher even a prominent politician yet?

the nickname "iron lady" started in january 1976.
in the film "flight 666", someone (of the staff of the band) says the inspiration for the name of the band is margaret thatcher?????

I have not seen the movie  :( . A friend told me that someone in the film speaks the inspiration to the name of the band is margaret thatcher. In the movie, someone speaks it? or no one speaks it??

Steve Harris says the source of the name is not Margaret Thatcher's nick.

GuineaPig said:
And when Steve named the band in 1975, was Thatcher even a prominent politician yet?
Yes. She became leader of the opposition early that year (and would have already been in the shadow cabinet before then, I would have thought).

But you are correct, she was dubbed the Iron Lady not the Iron Maiden. Breno, her nick was not the inspiration at all.

IIRC, it was taken from the torture device, as they were watching the film "The Man in the Iron Mask".

Ardius said:
IIRC, it was taken from the torture device, as they were watching the film "The Man in the Iron Mask".
That's what I remember reading too. I think there is a line in the movie where some one says, "put 'em in the IRON MAIDEN", referring to the torture device. The rest is history...

Back