The inevitable 1990s tour after Book of Souls Tour ends

franksamuel0209

Westward the Tides....
So I was thinking of Maiden doing a 90s tour after this album tour similar to how thesis Maiden England commemorating the 80s after the Final Frontier tour.

Do you think it would be well received by the fans?
What staple songs would be omitted?
What songs do you think make their return?
And what songs do you think they bring out for the very first time?

Mind you this tour focuses from No Prayer for the Dying - Virtual XI

I think rationally this is how the set list would look, not in this order

Be Quick or Be Dead
From Here to Eternity
Afraid to Shoot Strangers
Fear of the Dark
Public Enema Number 1
Bring your daughter... To the Slaughter
Sign of the Cross
Man on the Edge
Lord of the Flies
Futureal
The Clansman
The Educated Fool

The Number of the Beast
Iron Maiden
Hallowed Be Thy Name
Trooper

What do you think?

It's an interesting concept, but I don't think it would go over well...at least in the US and UK. Maiden was basically invisible in the States from about 92-98 (they had anemic album sales, received little if any attention in the rock press, were shredded by mostly negative reviews, and were relegated to touring nightclubs right before the reunion). It was bleak...really, really bleak (from a commercial/visibility standpoint).

The concept might go over better in South America. Maybe they would stick to the territories that were supportive of those records.

Having said all of that, if they were to do it, I think the set list you posted above is a pretty good representation of the era.

Last edited:
Trying to guess what they will do after 2017 (given that they will probably tour to support the last album next year) is interesting, but we know for sure that there won't be another history tour. My bet is a year off (and hopefully solo albums) and then a new album. They just can't wait for another five years.

I definitely wouldn't call a 90s tour as something "inevitable". Of course i would love to hear some 90s songs (specially Sign of the Cross), but a LOT of casual fans don't even know about Man on the Edge or Futureal. Maiden doesn't tour just to please the diehard fans, they do to please everyone (except on the 1st leg of the AMOLAD tour, when they probably said "Well, f**k this, i can do what i want"). And you need to consider the egos inside the band, i'm pretty sure that Bruce and Adrian will not be 100% pleased with an all-out 90s tour. Neither will Rod, considering how much would the North America/Europe attendance would drop. They could focus on Latin America, doing 15-20 dates like the do in the US, but Rod doing double-digit dates here? Never

My bet is that they'll do something similar to the AMOLAD 2nd leg: drop some songs from the actual tour, include some songs from the 90s, and call it a day. If they do, i can't see them including, for an example,

Sign of the Cross, thanks to the lenght of the present songs on the set, specially TRATB and Book of Souls

I posted on other thread what i think that 2nd leg will look like, if they really go on a 90s tour. I made a reconsideration on some songs:
If Eternity Should Fail
Speed of Light
Afraid to Shoot Strangers
The Trooper
The Red and the Black
Tailgunner/Can I Play With Madness
The Clansman
The Book of Souls
Tears of a Clown/The Evil That Man Do
Hallowed be Thy Name
Fear of the Dark
Iron Maiden
------------------------------------
The Number of the Beast
Wasting Love/Wasted Years/The Clairvoyant
Bring Your Daughter...to the Slaughter

Last edited:
Trying to guess what they will do after 2017 (given that they will probably tour to support the last album next year) is interesting, but we know for sure that there won't be another history tour. My bet is a year off (and hopefully solo albums) and then a new album. They just can't wait for another five years.
Yeah, solo albums should be a thing that happens after this tour cycle, I'd like that very much, especially the Neceopolis story.

I also doubt they'll do a 90s tour, and they've covered the reunion era with the first leg of the Final Frontier tour, so that's that...

Btw, do we have a source for the supposed confirmation that there won't be another history tour?

I've read it in an interview with one of them, either the FC Magazine or something like Metal Hammer. I'll have a bit of a search and see if I can find it.

The official site is the main source for it I think. When they annonced the second leg of Maiden England, Rod said that this was the last history tour (I remember something along the lines : after that we're done with history tours, but I might be wrong).

I've looked this up, plus searched on some of the past discussions on here, and can't find anything as clear cut. I thought Nicko said it in an interview.

The quote from Rod in the Maiden England 2014 and Sonisphere press releases is: "As all our fans know, Maiden England is Part 3 in the History Trilogy of the 1980s video/DVD releases so this is likely to be the last time we will tour with a set list based on the 80s, and therefore the last time fans will EVER hear some of these songs played live."

I guess it all comes down to Steve Harris. Steve Harris knows what this period of time was like for lovers of metal, and how the albums released were received.

That doesn't mean he won't do it anyway. Because Steve doesn't care what we think, and never has, and he knows that people will still show up if he does a concert tour based on the four 90s albums.

My mistake! Anyway, they are running short of time, and if they want to play some 1990s songs, I hope they add them to a wider set list.

Yeah, I don't think a 90s era tour is ever going to happen. The other retro tours were all about celebrating that time period of the band, but I can't think the demand would be high to celebrate some decent to mediocre era in the Maiden history. I'd settle for a DVD release (finally) from that era and maybe the inclusion of a song or two, but no way do they do a full tour throwing back to the 90s, I just can't see it happening.

Yeah, I don't think a 90s era tour is ever going to happen. The other retro tours were all about celebrating that time period of the band, but I can't think the demand would be high to celebrate some decent to mediocre era in the Maiden history. I'd settle for a DVD release (finally) from that era and maybe the inclusion of a song or two, but no way do they do a full tour throwing back to the 90s, I just can't see it happening.

I agree with this ... I am hoping for a history DVD, but a full on 90s tour is not in the cards.

DVD sure. Donnington re-release is a perfect opportunity for another chapter of the 'History' documentaries covering Bruce's departure etc. Tour? I don't think it's gonna happen, because of small commercial potential. However, I would say the same thing about a tour heavily relying on DiAnno songs... And that happened. Anyway, I wouldn't put any money on that.

I remember when From Fear to Eternity came out, there was an interview in which someone said (Dave I think, but I'm not sure) that there will be no tour accompanying that compilation. Could that mean they don't want to tour with a similar selection of material at tall? I think it's likely.

It'll never happen and I wouldn't want it to, honestly. I wouldn't want to see an entire tour of 90's material, but I'd be happy for them to acknowledge the era by adding a few songs back into the setlist rotation - preferably Be Quick or Be Dead, Futureal, Afraid to Shoot Strangers, Clansman, or Sign of the Cross.

I think if they did it, we'd get a few songs from the Blaze years - stuff Bruce has already done - and a few songs from the 2 Bruce 90s albums, and then a heavy amount of classics.

Back