The Greatest Metal Song Cup - Part II, Round 2, Matches 82-87

What is your favourite song in each match?

• ----------------------------

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
All personal feelings about both songs aside, Through The Fire and Flames is one of the best known metal songs full stop.
Likely because of its role in Guitar Hero III, where it was not coincidentally “something that just seems like a competition to play as fast as possible.”

Likely because of its role in Guitar Hero III, where it was not coincidentally “something that just seems like a competition to play as fast as possible.”
No arguments there; I just think it is sufficiently popular that it would be surprising for it to lose to something that's not an obvious frontrunner for the competition or one of the specific artists (Priest, Dio) that this forum leans towards.

All personal feelings about both songs aside, Through The Fire and Flames is one of the best known metal songs full stop.

It's one of the songs in this cup I never heard before this round even once, lol.

(it's probably because while I am in general a power metal afficionado, I appreciate DragonForce only to a degree and I never even heard this album yet, or at least I think so, shame on me, I guess)

And yes, Angra's Carolina is one of the seminal and legendary power metal albums of the 90s, fusing the neoclassical approach of the band with the folklore elements of their homeland, I'd say that Holy Land is million times the "classic" album compared to Inhuman Rampage, sorry.

Yeah, Through the Fire and the Flames is pretty much the power metal song. Not really something that I would recommend to a power metal newbie, but it's without a doubt one of the biggest metal classics of the 00s and my first touch to the subgenre of power metal too. That was years before I even knew the name of the subgenre, and I haven't even played whatever game that song was in.

Based on what? I don't know what metric this statement is based upon - and even then, you've moved the goalposts by talking about the albums they come from rather than the songs themselves.

Well, if you really want to compare ciritical consensus (even outside of metal) and general power metal fandom vs. Guitar Hero and Spotify ...

... I guess Loosey was really wise to include the YouTube playlists, is all I'm going to say.

Just saying that whatever metric you pick, if DragonForce come out on top, I'm probably too much of a boomer for that, but that's okay.

(I don't hate the band, I like them quite alright, but they're a niche band that got very popular - I often see them mentioned kinda in brackets on power metal forums)

you've moved the goalposts by talking about the albums they come from rather than the songs themselves.

Just because Carolina IV is the centerpiece - and a representative - of that album, I guess.

Anyway, all love to you, really, it's just that DragonForce fandom and power metal fandom don't even really overlap, IMHO, more like

DF.png

that'S okay, but naming it as one of the biggest whatever just rubs me off the wrong way. Sorry. Peace. Judas out.

Last edited:
I thought it was because I was drubl yesterday, but I woke up today and I still find it quite befuddling, even downright bizarre. I mean... I guess?

I don't usually participate in these "what is more famous" discussions, because I find most of the imaginable criteria dubious at best ... let alone very regional. Really, around these places in backwards Central Europe, no-one knows DragonForce much; I've been actively listening to and discovering power metal bands and having PM as one of my favourite genres for over 20 years now and while never hearing the song before is kind of a hyperbole - I believe I had heard it before - (and I definitely had known its name), me seeing you speak of it this way is weird. When I was a radio DJ, we played a shit-ton of power metal and next to no DF. I'm 99 % certain my father who's been a power metal fan since the mid-80s has never heard of DragonForce at all.

Reading this thread felt like "you know, Inception is more famous than Vertigo, Barbie is more famous than The Godfather and Mastodon are more famous than Cream." Or "this Bollywood flick sold ten times more tickets than Goodfellas".

c2d83e7e-d38a-490d-a69e-3046624a41c3_text.gif

Okay. I believe you, guys. 'S just weird, is all.

I find it hard to believe Through the Fire and the Flames is more famous than... say... Nemo.

I suppose I should brace myself for the fact that Sabaton are more famous than Helloween and Gamma Ray combined, right?

Last edited:
Just a quick request lads.

I'm going to go into hibernation on the forum to avoid Bruce spoilers, but I'll still be checking this thread, I know it's quite unlikely there will be any spoilers, but just in case can we keep them out of this thread please?

Anyway, all love to you, really, it's just that DragonForce fandom and power metal fandom don't even really overlap, IMHO, more like

DF.png

that'S okay, but naming it as one of the biggest whatever just rubs me off the wrong way. Sorry. Peace. Judas out.
I kind of agree with you here. It's like nu metal and the whole metal umbrella, you have 10 Linkin Park fans and 1 of them will realize they like Maiden and Metallica, often more than LP, that's probably the path most young metalheads take. And the older fans already generally don't care about nu metal. In a similar way to Numb not appearing in top 10 lists in more hardcore metal forums, TTFAF can be the most popular PM song and not revered in PM circles. A little different because it's in the same subgenre (I'm honestly surprised you've never heard it), but I think the general idea makes sense.

I kind of agree with you here. It's like nu metal and the whole metal umbrella, you have 10 Linkin Park fans and 1 of them will realize they like Maiden and Metallica, often more than LP, that's probably the path most young metalheads take. And the older fans already generally don't care about nu metal. In a similar way to Numb not appearing in top 10 lists in more hardcore metal forums, TTFAF can be the most popular PM song and not revered in PM circles. A little different because it's in the same subgenre (I'm honestly surprised you've never heard it), but I think the general idea makes sense.
Honestly, Iron Maiden themselves are a good parallel - The Trooper is their most popular song in general based on Spotify data, yet it doesn't make the vast majority of Top 10s on this forum.

Fantastic choice @Kalata, Ride the Sky is pure awesome energy, the instrumental kicks ass and this is the perfect song for Kai's vocals. Love the synth coming in at "give me wings to fly". Would've made my list if I found space for it. My Eternal Dream is very strong too and has a great chorus, but I'm sticking with Helloween.

Black Night is decent, not specifically interesting. In Trance very good and memorable, does put you in a trance a bit even. Good production.

Another great Ozzy song. The instruments are flashier than usual and steal the show here. It reminded me of Megadeth for whatever reason. Toys in the Attic is catchy and has great licks, especially the verse one. It is however less impressive and the chorus a little annoying. S.A.T.O

Zep usually bore me to death with their midtempo annoying riffs, however Kashmir's riff is legendary, and the song evolves so naturally with nice melodies while never straying too far from the main riff. Battle Cry is great throughout, but not enough to turn the tide here.

Thunder and Lightning is hard as hell, fast and surprisingly shreddy for what I know of Thin Lizzy. Them Bones is an earworm, the solo fits it very well too, but overall I'm not too fond of it.

In the distant year of 2010, 8 years old Shmoolikipod watches a Super Smash Bros montage to the tune of TTFAF. A lot of times! Only in 2017 when I discovered Metallica I realized I love music, so it's interesting to me how TTFAF was there so long before then. Did it singlehandedly decide my taste, or was metal going to be my thing regardless? Anyways, the song. Oh, I saw someone on the other side of the crossing yesterday with a Dragonforce shirt. Anyways, THE SONG. I certainly still like it more than a bit, though I agree with LC that it's mostly a speed competition. Borderline nintendocore to be honest. There's still great fun in the ridiculously fast playing, especially when paired with cheesy nonsensical lyrics, and it's not lacking the catchiness of other PM tunes (though I'm not the best arbiter for that). Against a well-thought-out unique epic like Carolina IV? Come on guys, the musicality in it is through the roof, so many great breaks, tight playing, and melodies that are at the very least twice as good as in TTFAF. It's close-ish for me but I was sure Angra would sail here.

I really think you're underestimating the impact of Rock Band III, @JudasMyGuide. It became a game everyone played, just at that one guy's house. Even I, who is no great fan of the Guitar Hero or Rock Band series, played it. The soundtrack has done incredibly well, so for most people who don't know power metal at all, Through the Fire and Flames is *the* power metal song. For you and me, it's a nerdy technical showcase; most people can't hear that. They just hear FAST POWER.

Stratovarius
Scorpions
Aerosmith
Zeppelin
Alice In Chains because it’s in 7/8
Angra

I play in a video game music band and I’ve never cared for Dragonforce. That said, I’m also not a massive power metal fan.

I really think you're underestimating the impact of Rock Band III, @JudasMyGuide. It became a game everyone played, just at that one guy's house. Even I, who is no great fan of the Guitar Hero or Rock Band series, played it. The soundtrack has done incredibly well, so for most people who don't know power metal at all, Through the Fire and Flames is *the* power metal song. For you and me, it's a nerdy technical showcase; most people can't hear that. They just hear FAST POWER.

Yeah, you're right, fair point. That's one thing that totally missed me, though I'm a gamer and always concerned myself with music, Guitar Hero/Rock Band etc. went by. I didn't have it and neither did anyone in my vicinity, so that's already a huge difference, I guess.

It's always been Helloween's eternal dream to ride the sky. Deep Purple must have put Scorpions in trance during the black night. Ozzy's got more than toys in his attic. I feel like there's something to say about battle cries and Kashmir, but given the geopolitical situation on the subcontinent, it's probably just best to say Led Zeppelin wins this one. Thunder and lightning in them bones isn't gonna stop Alice and Chains from winning. It was close in the end, but Dragonforce battled through fire, flames and four whole Carolinas to win.

Part II, Round 2, Matches 46-51

Group Stage - Round 2
Match 46
El Dorado Division​
Anthrax - Antisocial
vs.
Anthrax - Armed and Dangerous​
Popoff 500, Radio EHS 100
Nominators
Popoff 500​
0-0-0, 0 pts, +0
Record
0-0-0, 0 pts, +0​
Youtube | Spotify | Amazon
Links

Group Stage - Round 2
Match 47
Flight of Icarus Division​
Venom - Witching Hour
vs.
Scorpions - No One Like You​
Digital Dream Door 100, Rate Your Music 100, Best Music Art 100
Nominators
Popoff 500
@Jer
0-0-0, 0 pts, +0
Record
0-0-0, 0 pts, +0​
Links

Group Stage - Round 2
Match 48
Doug Sampson Division​
Rammstein - Engel
vs.
Alice Cooper - Welcome To My Nightmare​
@KidInTheDark666 , @Diesel 11
Nominators
Popoff 500​
0-0-0, 0 pts, +0
Record
0-0-0, 0 pts, +0​
Links

Group Stage - Round 2
Match 49
Tailgunner Division​
Led Zeppelin - Black Dog
vs.
KISS - God of Thunder​
Nominators
Popoff 500​
0-0-0, 0 pts, +0
Record
0-0-0, 0 pts, +0​
Links

Group Stage - Round 2
Match 50
Adrian Smith Division​
Deep Purple - Speed King
vs.
Death - Zombie Ritual​
Nominators
0-0-0, 0 pts, +0
Record
0-0-0, 0 pts, +0​
Links

Group Stage - Round 2
Match 51
No Prayer For the Dying Division​
Opeth - Heir Apparent
vs.
Manilla Road - Necropolis​
@Stardust, @KiDDo
Nominators
0-0-0, 0 pts, +0
Record
0-0-0, 0 pts, +0​
Links

Last edited:
I see that I have no choice but to vote for Anthrax. I don’t think I could argue that Armed and Dangerous is a vastly better song than Antisocial. I think it lacks a bit of identity, but the riffs are better, Joey is actually singing material that suits him (which can only be said of this album), and it’s not a cover.

Witching Hour is dark and evil and super metal. I mean, it sounds like it was recorded inside the devils butthole. On the other hand, Scorpions open each verse with “girl” and “babe.” However, one of the bands has good performers and production and that really goes a long way here.

Engel is creepy, infectious, and catchy. The female vocals are a nice touch. Welcome to My Nightmare is iconic, for sure, but folks: it’s basically a slightly rockier James Brown-style jam.

I don’t always like Led Zeppelin, but when I do it’s because the other option is KISS.

Ah, yes, nothing says “I’m a speed king” like a mellow, blippy organ solo. Does any classic band have worse production than Deep Purple? The intro of Zombie Ritual is more interesting than the entirety of Speed King.

The riff at 2:30 in Heir Apparent shits all over literally everything else in this round, and that’s saying nothing of the other amazing 7 minutes of brutal music. That outro is beautiful. Necropolis is an underground classic, but it’s a song meant to be covered by a band with an actual singer (Visigoth does it well). Great song, horrible pinched nasal vocals. Anybody who votes for Manilla Road over Opeth on the basis of vocal preference is truly beyond hope, reason, and sanity.

Armed and Dangerous, but I don't have strong feelings about it either way.

No One Like You is a classic, one of Scorpions' best and my favourite song in the entire round.

Engel is fine but I like Alice Cooper a lot and I especially like Welcome To My Nightmare.

Black Dog, but neither of these are my favourite song from either artist.

Speed King, because I like my music to have proper vocals.

Necropolis, because I like my music to have proper vocals.

Back