The Greatest Metal Song Cup - Part II, Round 2, Matches 106-111

What is your favourite song in each match? Vote in all six matchups!

• ----------------------------

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Led Zeppelin's vikings have slain their share of archers over the years, it seems. Tool and Tarot? It's a Tie. Evanescence barely goes under against Type O Negative. Aerosmith's dreams aren't of 70s horror films. Opeth arises. Count Raven's Baltic storm has caught up Morbid Angel.

Part II, Round 2, Matches 88-93

Group Stage - Round 2
Match 88
The X Factor Division​
Foo Fighters - The Pretender
vs.
Kamelot - Forever​
Radio EHS 100
@The Sentient
Nominators
Popoff 500​
0-0-0, 0 pts, +0
Record
0-0-0, 0 pts, +0​
Youtube | Spotify | Amazon
Links

Group Stage - Round 2
Match 89
Man on the Edge Division​
Pantera - Revolution is My Name
vs.
Linkin Park - Somewhere I Belong​
Popoff 500, Best Music Art 100
Nominators
Youtube 50​
0-0-0, 0 pts, +0
Record
0-0-0, 0 pts, +0​
Links

Group Stage - Round 2
Match 90
Stratego Division​
Deep Purple - Fireball
vs.
Accept - Princess of the Dawn​
Radio EHS 100
@The Sentient
Nominators
Popoff 500​
0-0-0, 0 pts, +0
Record
0-0-0, 0 pts, +0​
Links

Group Stage - Round 2
Match 91
Aces High Division​
AC/DC - Hells Bells
vs.
Heart - Barracuda​
Popoff 500, Radio EHS 100
Nominators
Radio EHS 100​
0-0-0, 0 pts, +0
Record
0-0-0, 0 pts, +0​
Links

Group Stage - Round 2
Match 92
Flight 666 Division​
Quiet Riot - Metal Health (Bang Your Head)
vs.
Megadeth - Devils Island​
Popoff 500, Rolling Stone 100, VH1 40
Nominators
Best Music Art 100​
0-0-0, 0 pts, +0
Record
0-0-0, 0 pts, +0​
Links

Group Stage - Round 2
Match 93
Die With Your Boots On Division​
Steppenwolf - Born to be Wild
vs.
Twisted Sister - Under the Blade​
Popoff 500, Radio EHS 100
Nominators
Popoff 500​
0-0-0, 0 pts, +0
Record
0-0-0, 0 pts, +0​
Links

You know it’s bad when Quiet Riot has the best song in the round.

The Pretender is a perfectly good song, but I have to reward the power metal band in the metal game. It's a good song, too. Kamelot.

I like Somewhere I Belong enough, but I have to reward the thrash metal band in the metal game. Pantera.

This Accept song sucks so much, man. Deep Purple I guess.

I'll vote for Heart, a band that shows ladies can rock hard too.

Megadeth over Quiet Riot, I think. Devils Island isn't a contender but it's a decent enough track.

I will reward the metal song and vote Twisted Sister.

Kamelot's Forever, what a great song!
Pruple's Fireball is blast from the past, but Accept's Princess Of The Dawn is timeless with its riff.
Hells Bells, give me melodic riffs!
Megadeth's song has great guitar ideas, but Quiet Riot's Metal Health is classic glam metal, which is more for me, not necessarily a better song.
Twisted Sister's Under The Blade is one of their best and pure metal songs.

Foo Fighters - The Pretender vs. Kamelot - Forever
Foo Fighters alright, Kamelot pretty bad The Pretender

Pantera - Revolution is My Name vs. Linkin Park - Somewhere I Belong

Pantera track was from the period after I had stopped listening to them, so never heard it before. Some good riffs, and Sababth-esque middle eight, but very muffled sound. Linkin Park, was same as all their songs. Revolution is My Name

Deep Purple - Fireball vs. Accept - Princess of the Dawn

Much of a muchness on these tracks, neither's best work nor their worst Fireball

AC/DC - Hells Bells vs. Heart - Barracuda

Baracuda is great but c'mon. Hells Bells best track in the round, and probably going back a long time to find a round with a better track Hells Bells

Quiet Riot - Metal Health (Bang Your Head) vs. Megadeth - Devils Island

Metal Health is alright but the bulk of it is completely derivative of Leppard's Let it Go. Devils Island monstrous Devils Island

Steppenwolf - Born to be Wild vs. Twisted Sister - Under the Blade

Under the Blade not Sister's best, Born to be Wild a classic of heavy metal thunder Born to be Wild

1. Kamelot duh
2. Pantera duh
3. Deep Purp
5. Megadeth duh
6. Steppenwolf duh

4. This is the only one that warrants discussion, as they’re the best songs I’ve heard by either band. AC/DC gets points because Hell’s Bells is quite different from their typical bluesy riff style, but I simply like Barracuda as a song more. Heart.

"The Pretender" opens with nice atmosphere and a strong verse melody, but loses some appeal as it gets heavier. The chorus doesn't really do it for me either. The bridge build-up is good, though, and I like the overlaid chorus near the end of the song. Decent, but a mixed bag. "Forever" has a nice melodic lead. The synths are a bit cheesy, the vocal melodies are generally good but not great, and the drumming is mostly mindless double-bass power metal cliché. The soft interlude and the solo are nice, though. It's good and all, but it feels interchangeable with pretty much any other above-average derivative power metal song. And yet, sorry, @The Sentient, but that's still enough for @JudasMyGuide's nominee to eke out a win here. Winner: Kamelot - "Forever"

"Revolution Is My Name" has decent riffs, but Phil Asshole-bro sucks hard, as expected. He goes semi-melodic for parts of the vocals, but not in a good way, and everything about his performance is offputting. The guitar harmony parts are queasy and sound bad, and the solos are just OK. I've heard much worse Pantera songs, but that doesn't mean that this one is any good. "Somewhere I Belong" is superior in pretty much every respect -- better songwriting, better vocal lines, better performances. The chorus isn't one of their best, but it's still pretty good. No contest here. Winner: Linkin Park - "Somewhere I Belong"

"Fireball" has good energy, strong drumming, and solid vocal lines through the verses. I'm less thrilled with the chorus, and the guitar non-solo sucks. The keyboard solos work, though. A solidly OK song. "Princess Of The Dawn" has a decent riff, but the vocal melodies are so-so and I'm not a fan of the timbre of Udo's voice. The non-solos are sort of interesting in their own way, and the actual solo is decent; but this song just keeps going and going way past the point that its musical ideas would merit. Not a fan of either track, but I'll toss this one to @The Sentient's nominee. Winner: Deep Purple - "Fireball"

"Hells Bells" is an iconic opener from an iconic album, with the titular bells heralding a plaintive lead that slowly builds into a less morose verse groove. Brian Johnson's performance here totally slays, and the melodies are great. The feely solo is a nice choice, and the guitar and vocal crescendo at the end is great. Excellent stuff. "Barracuda" has a classic driving groove, great vocal lines, and an excellent vocal performance. I love the color work with the harmonics and ringing notes, too. Great harmonized vocal bridge, strong solo, cool extended outro. Great song. Both competitors are worthy, but the AC/DC track hits just a bit harder for me. Winner: AC/DC - "Hells Bells"

"Metal Health (Bang Your Head)" has a great anthemic feel, but as @srfc mentioned, the verse music is completely lifted from Def Leppard's "Let It Go", which had only come out 2 years prior. The pre-chorus builds nicely and the chorus is great, though. The bridge isn't the best, but the solos are pretty dope, and the variant chorus with the guitar call-and-response is cool. If it weren't for the plagiarism I'd say this was a great song, but it's still very good. "Devils Island" has an appropriately sinister opening that soon kicks into a driving verse that builds nicely into a solid but simple chorus. The solos are great, as is the bridge, and the ending is effective. I could probably go either way on this one, but the tie breaks to the more original song. Winner: Megadeth - "Devils Island"

"Born To Be Wild" has a buoyant, memorable riff and great vocal melodies throughout. It also calls out "heavy metal thunder" in the lyrics, so screw you people who claim it has no right to be here! I dig the jammy instrumental sections that neither get boring nor descend into masturbatory excess. A very good song overall. Twisted Sister has about two good songs total, and "Under The Blade" is not one of them. The riffs are OK, but the vocal lines aren't very good, and the chorus flat-out sucks. The lead work is fine, I guess. The song runs out of ideas around the 3 minute mark, but it just keeps on going. Yeah, no thanks. A very easy call for Steppenwolf here. Winner: Steppenwolf - "Born To Be Wild"

Last edited:
Fun fact, I thought I updated this on Sunday, but I didn't finish the post.

I like the Foo Fighters enough, but are they going to be around forever like the legend of Kamelot? Linkin Park has found it's name is actually not a revolution as they lose to Pantera. Accept gets burnt up by Deep Purple. It's a tie between Heart and AC/DC in a classic hard rock contest. Megadeth knows the best place to bang your head (?) is Devils Island. If you go under the blade, then Steppenwolf knows you're just not born to be wild.

Part II, Round 2, Matches 88-93

Group Stage - Round 2
Match 94
Paul Cairns Division​
Ratt - Round and Round
vs.
Borknagar - The Rhymes of the Mountain​
Popoff 500, Rolling Stone 100
Nominators
0-0-0, 0 pts, +0
Record
0-0-0, 0 pts, +0​
Links

Group Stage - Round 2
Match 95
Derek Riggs Division​
Virgin Steel - The Burning of Rome (Cry for Pompeii)
vs.
Death - Flesh and the Power it Holds​
@Perun, @Wogmidget
Nominators
0-0-0, 0 pts, +0
Record
0-0-0, 0 pts, +0​
Links

Group Stage - Round 2
Match 96
The Legacy Division​