The Future Past Tour 2024

Bruce definitely will not fly the plane, if it happens - he's 65, and no insurance provider in the world will insure a pilot on a major aircraft. That said, there's nothing that says they have to fly a 747 or equivalent. They could go back to a smaller Ed Force One. I get the sense this stage show is less bulky than TBOS.

They could get a Boeing 757 or an Airbus A330

Oh, I thought that's what downtuned was
Yes, but also no. Lord Of The Flies was transposed lower, as in the tuning of the instruments remained the same, but every note was played a full step lower. As a concept it is like using a pitch shifter.
Down tuning refers to actually changing the tuning of the guitars and bass. Any song played on these instruments would be affected the same, but it applies to everything played on these instruments.

I know that this is getting convoluted, because the end result is similar, but as an example to make it clearer:

Take the twin lead melody after each verse in The Clairvoyant, here specifically the part around 1:42. The same exact riffs and melodies are played at 1:53 but they are each a full step lower. These were transitioned a full step down, without changing the tuning of the instruments. This is what they did with Lord Of The Flies on the Death On The Road Tour.

Yes, but also no. Lord Of The Flies was transposed lower, as in the tuning of the instruments remained the same, but every note was played a full step lower. As a concept it is like using a pitch shifter.
Down tuning refers to actually changing the tuning of the guitars and bass. Any song played on these instruments would be affected the same, but it applies to everything played on these instruments.

I know that this is getting convoluted, because the end result is similar, but as an example to make it clearer:

Take the twin lead melody after each verse in The Clairvoyant, here specifically the part around 1:42. The same exact riffs and melodies are played at 1:53 but they are each a full step lower. These were transitioned a full step down, without changing the tuning of the instruments. This is what they did with Lord Of The Flies on the Death On The Road Tour.
Worth noting that they did this so Bruce could actually sing the chorus a full octave higher than Blaze sang it, so even though technically the key of the song was changed it was done for the opposite reason that downtuning is usually done (so the vocalist can sing lower)

Worth noting that they did this so Bruce could actually sing the chorus a full octave higher than Blaze sang it, so even though technically the key of the song was changed it was done for the opposite reason that downtuning is usually done (so the vocalist can sing lower)
Yeah, I already said that a couple of pages back:
It feels like the tuning down discussion pops up once a year or so, though this time fueled by Bruce himself. I've said many times before that I believe Maiden should've started down tuning, or transposing some of their songs since the TFF days, but they are far too stubborn to do that. I don't think it's a constructive discussion, since nothing is going to be done about it anyways.

What I will always make sure to mention though, is that Maiden have transitioned a song a full step down before: Lord Of The Flies during the Death On The Road Tour. Ironically enough the reason wasn't for Bruce to have an easier time with the song; it was so that he can do the octave jump during the chorus and sing it even higher than the original lol
But yeah, for all purists (including Bruce apparantely) Maiden have done so before.

How was he Dickishson to you?
Beast on the Road tour in the USA Maiden were in my town to do a headline show and they did an in-store appearance at my local record store for autographs. I previously had a copy of NME I bought just because it had a big pic of the Eddie mask on the cover. It was the one with the interview with Steve and Bruce. I brought that for them to sign. Everyone else just signed it but when it got to Bruce he looked at it and sneered and made a comment of something like "why do you have this rubbish?" But he signed it. I was 15 and clueless but later saw where they were really unhappy with that interview and what NME said about them. Unfortunately have moved a few times since then and it has been lost.

Back