The Future Past tour 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.
Say what you want, but the storming Futureal would be a great addition to the set. It's all start and go. And I am not mentioning it fits the tour theme.
Yesterday I had discussion with my brother (bear in mind, one of his favorite IM albums is The X Factor, so, you can't label him 'play classics' crowd) We both attended second Krakow show.
We both agreed that Future Past Tour is not so good like LOTB was. For me, even Book of Souls was better. We both still love Maiden and want to see them. All this discussion is only for comparing and measuring. No bad feeling and grudge. Just a human preferences.
We both felt that Time Machine and Death of the Celts live is not very compelling/ecstatic. I love Time Machine part where Janick goes wild dancing, that celtic jig part, but overall it drags. This and Death of the Celts are almost the thing in itself. I mean, there's no part for the crowd to participate. Death of the Celts, as a live number, is nowhere near The Clansman. Also Days Of Future Past song, albeit short, does nothing.
We both agreed, Future Past needs ~two better known shorter songs. I try to be a la objective and judge from casual concert goer perspective. Earlier on this thread band's stubbornness was mentioned. It's good when you want to achieve your goal. But it's not very good for balancing LIVE SHOW for many different people.
And last but not least THE SHOW aspect of Future Past tour is rather weak. Even those flames during Hell On Earth was somewhat lazy.
I write all of this without anger or resentment, just my subjective thoughts and observations. Like, what I would do if I was Iron Maiden's live show PR manager. (I know they are used to their ways/ don't fix what is working/ they will not change, etc.)
Please, don't be offended by what I wrote. I am not bashing Maiden. Just my thoughts after seeing concert.
(Somewhere in Time songs do work and sound good live)

edit: I have seen Maiden 6 times.
Somewhere Back In Time Tour
The Books of Souls Tour
Legacy of The Beast Tour (one time first version and two times second version)
Future Past Tour

Last edited:
I was thinking - how can Maiden top this tour?

In terms of the stage set, I doubt they will use one big screen (the next upgrade) or a different shape (again after 1998).
In terms of the setlist, if we exclude the new songs, the ''real'' deep cuts are CSIT, SIASL, ATG (maybe Prisoner and Heaven/CIPWM too). So they can make the next setlist even more surprising and fresh.

IMO They can only top it with a ''Deep Cuts'' tour (with stage set without screens) or with a ''New album'' tour for which they will do the same as now: 5/6 new songs, 4/5 classics and 4/5 deep cuts (Infinite Dreams, To Tame A Land...).
I do not think topping this tour would be that difficult, at least in terms of setlist.

I do not think topping this tour would be that difficult, at least in terms of setlist.
I understand what you mean, but it's so refreshing seeing them play so many deep cuts as well as my four favourite Senjutsu songs. I don't even miss Hallowed Be Thy Name, and that's all my all time favourite.

Funnily enough, I have seen Maiden 15 times and only six of those times did they play Hallowed.

At this stage of my life and having lost count of the amount of times I’ve seen Maiden live since my first gig in 1995 (lucky me I know) I’m over the moon that so many songs I’ve never heard live are bing played on this tour.

At this stage I’d take any set list the band cares to play so long as it’s songs they can all comfortably play and Bruce can sing well. Having said that it’s always great to hear new songs.

I do hope that for the next tour after this they decide to throw a few more 90’s songs in. I know we won’t really get a 90’s themed history part 4 tour but they could do a “From fear to eternity” type set list like they did for the old compilation album. Pick 5 90’s tunes and the rest from the reunion era and call it the history of Maiden part 4 the later years.

Say what you want, but the storming Futureal would be a great addition to the set. It's all start and go. And I am not mentioning it fits the tour theme.
We both felt that Time Machine and Death of the Celts live is not very compelling/ecstatic. I love Time Machine part where Janick goes wild dancing, that celtic jig part, but overall it drags. This and Death of the Celts are almost the thing in itself. I mean, there's no part for the crowd to participate. Death of the Celts, as a live number, is nowhere near The Clansman. Also Days Of Future Past song, albeit short, does nothing.
Even those flames during Hell On Earth was somewhat lazy.
Agreed about Futureal, for sure. About the rest: why pyro for a certain song is lazy? It's more or less a stage prop for the song, it's something. The other bands usually use big screens and pyro. Maiden always play a lot of new songs and I respect that a lot. If a ''play classics'' fan can't like DOFP, then what's the point. Time Machine has a perfect instrumental section for live performances, while Celts is probably a better live song than Parchment, Lost World and Darkest Hour. Logical choices. All new songs sound really good live. And Maiden never had ''weak'' setlists.
With so many great rarely or never played songs, yes, but still the current setlist is really fresh and strong. One of my favorites, even without Parchment.

At this stage of my life and having lost count of the amount of times I’ve seen Maiden live since my first gig in 1995 (lucky me I know) I’m over the moon that so many songs I’ve never heard live are bing played on this tour.

At this stage I’d take any set list the band cares to play so long as it’s songs they can all comfortably play and Bruce can sing well. Having said that it’s always great to hear new songs.

I do hope that for the next tour after this they decide to throw a few more 90’s songs in. I know we won’t really get a 90’s themed history part 4 tour but they could do a “From fear to eternity” type set list like they did for the old compilation album. Pick 5 90’s tunes and the rest from the reunion era and call it the history of Maiden part 4 the later years.
I think From Fear… is their best compilation album. What a great tour that would make.

For the likely Future Past live album, how do you all think it will be assembled? Will it be one show? Taken from multiple shows? A 2023 or 2024 show? What country? Perhaps it will feature Stratego and Senjutsu from LotB ‘22?

It has the potential to be one of the coolest and most unique live albums they release, especially considering the deep cut heavy setlist. That’ll help it avoid the repetitive “disc 2 Maiden live album” syndrome.

I know I've said several times I would have preferred them doing Parchment over DOTC but in retrospect it I see now see why DOTC was an obvious choice to include on the tour. I recall a bassist on here talking about how DOTC was one of the more complex/challenging songs for Steve. I think it's reasonable to assume Steve enjoys playing it and wanted to include it on the set. After hearing it live I do like the song more now

For the likely Future Past live album, how do you all think it will be assembled? Will it be one show? Taken from multiple shows? A 2023 or 2024 show? What country? Perhaps it will feature Stratego and Senjutsu from LotB ‘22?

It has the potential to be one of the coolest and most unique live albums they release, especially considering the deep cut heavy setlist. That’ll help it avoid the repetitive “disc 2 Maiden live album” syndrome.

Yep, if H hadn't fucked the Alexander solo at Hellfest it would have been a good choice as Arte were filming it anyway.

I think From Fear… is their best compilation album. What a great tour that would make.
The 2014 tour should have been based on it imo. Plus a few classics, ofc.
I know I've said several times I would have preferred them doing Parchment over DOTC but in retrospect it I see now see why DOTC was an obvious choice to include on the tour. I recall a bassist on here talking about how DOTC was one of the more complex/challenging songs for Steve. I think it's reasonable to assume Steve enjoys playing it and wanted to include it on the set.
This.

It has the potential to be one of the coolest and most unique live albums they release, especially considering the deep cut heavy setlist.
The best will be from multiple shows and thus they can include shows from SA next year. I doubt it will feature Senjutsu and Stratego because they were played on a different tour, but it would be a cool bonus and something unique for Maiden.

I agree with your second comment.
Yep, if H hadn't fucked the Alexander solo at Hellfest it would have been a good choice as Arte were filming it anyway.
So maybe they (the band) can release something official?

I think it's a bit more likely they'll use multiple gigs. Having one cohesive show is nice, but I have nothing against a compilation if it allows to pick flawless performances. And indeed, I thought about it the other day and I think Senjutsu and Stratego would make a great addition as bonus tracks! I'm looking forward to this live release, it has to happen.

I think it's a bit more likely they'll use multiple gigs. Having one cohesive show is nice, but I have nothing against a compilation if it allows to pick flawless performances. And indeed, I thought about it the other day and I think Senjutsu and Stratego would make a great addition as bonus tracks! I'm looking forward to this live release, it has to happen.
I thought they should have put Tears and Hallowed on Live Chapter, though Hallowed still may have been tied up in legal at the time.

I thought they should have put Tears and Hallowed on Live Chapter, though Hallowed still may have been tied up in legal at the time.
These two songs were better than The Great Unknown and Wrathchild (which has been played so many times before). The Live Chapter would have gained a lot of charisma and power with those two tracks. :)

According to me, it will be a double live album (like always, some songs are very long on the future past tour), from multiple shows (2023 and 2024) or from next year show in Paris. It won't feature Stratego and Senjutsu (these tracks will be on another live record or DVD from the LOTB tour).

According to me, it will be a double live album (like always, some songs are very long on the future past tour), from multiple shows (2023 and 2024) or from next year show in Paris. It won't feature Stratego and Senjutsu (these tracks will be on another live record or DVD from the LOTB tour).
Think about Legacy of the Beast/The Future Past combo super deluxe 4-disc live DVD with bonus material: Nicko’s nonsense shouting compilation and an exlusive interviews with Steve Harris: “History of Writing Long Songs” and “Intimate about my hairdresser”

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back