The Future Past tour 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.
On the topic of Alexander the Great, has Bruce referenced the fact they've finally played it yet during the show?
No. Which is probably the funniest option. It's just there, in the set, not even in the encore or anything where it'd have a show's worth of build-up to it. No special mentions or anything.

On that note, sounds like Bruce is straining a little on the verses and had a few voice cracks even, but he compensated by doing an alternate melody and the delivery on "annnnnd crushed him again" in particular was phenomenally good as a result. They really took their sweet time getting around to playing this one, huh? Now I wish I had a time machine to go back to 2011 and tell them to make that leg of TFF's tour a combination TFF/SiT tour since SBiT did so phenomenally well and 2010 was all reunion era songs anyway so it'd be unexpected and fresh.

H is using the wah very randomly on this tour. Tonight he wahed the CSIT solo for example. TWOTW is 50/50 so far for example.

The quality of their performance in Alexander just makes me ask why the hell hadn't they played it before? It seems like an easy song for all of them and would sound absolutely immense circa 2008-2012. They can even play it better than a lot of their traditional material, like Aces High.
I’ve been thinking the same thing. I recognize they once said it was rehearsed and didn’t work many years ago, but what changed? Is there a new technology or something that makes it “work” now as opposed to before? Three guitars makes a difference im sure, but we’ve had that for going on 24 years now.

I’ve been thinking the same thing. I recognize they once said it was rehearsed and didn’t work many years ago, but what changed? Is there a new technology or something that makes it “work” now as opposed to before? Three guitars makes a difference im sure, but we’ve had that for going on 24 years now.
Theory: Bruce didn't want to sing it. Perhaps because he thought he was "singing from a history book". Next to Steve, Bruce would be the only other member with the most veto power. We do know all of Bruce's material was rejected for the album. Perhaps it was a way to get back by vetoing Steve's epic for the record. Then over time he eventually soften his stance along with fan's repeated requests to play it. Thought process for years could have been "we can't really play that we didn't back then". Then the idea for this tour came about and they thought let's go ahead and do it. Again just speculation on my part.

I'm still super happy for the show I witnessed on Saturday; so many "bucket list" songs and what a performance! Unfortunately I missed the TBOS tour, so this is judging by the YouTube & Live Chapter footage, but I'd say that Wasted Years sounds a bit more energetic as a show closer this time. Especially Bruce seems to have a bit more power left. Might be just a post-gig hype boost from my part, but just a random thought. Interesting to see if they can keep this level of energy for the whole tour; they were certainly outstanding on these two Tampere shows!

Well of course I could complain about Bruce not running enough and Icarus & 666 pyro technology being recycled for Hell on Earth.

Ehhhhhh.

;)

So excited to see this set & show again in London!

Last edited:
Theory: Bruce didn't want to sing it. Perhaps because he thought he was "singing from a history book". Next to Steve, Bruce would be the only other member with the most veto power. We do know all of Bruce's material was rejected for the album. Perhaps it was a way to get back by vetoing Steve's epic for the record. Then over time he eventually soften his stance along with fan's repeated requests to play it. Thought process for years could have been "we can't really play that we didn't back then". Then the idea for this tour came about and they thought let's go ahead and do it. Again just speculation on my part.
Question: did Bruce even have that veto power in 1986/87?

I think ATG works now because of 3 guitars. H is doing the heavy lifting and for example the transition between the first solo and the other solos, but there are 2 other guitars to drive the transition under the gong hits. It would sound a bit dull with just 1 guitar.

I think it is just as simple as the band have so many songs to choose from, so it "drowned" back in line. Like most SIT songs except Heaven can wait and Wasted years.

Rime of the ancient mariner worked well at the World slavery tour, so maybe they though they could not drop it?

I think it is just as simple as the band have so many songs to choose from, so it "drowned" back in line. Like most SIT songs except Heaven can wait and Wasted years.

Rime of the ancient mariner worked well at the World slavery tour, so maybe they though they could not drop it?
According to the band, Alexander was intended to be played, but they chose Rime instead.

Reasons are unknown other than "It didn't work.".

Anyone who wants to meet and hang come Friday at Sweden Rock Festival?
I would, have I had tickets. This is probably the best SRF line-up ever, and I'm bummed I'm not there, but that's life, I guess. Have a blast and make sure you go and see The Raven Age. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back