1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Book Of Souls sounds so much better on vinyl (Videos)

Discussion in 'The Book of Souls' started by Earendil Ancient Mariner, Sep 10, 2015.

1. Finally The Book Of Souls arrived in Mexico... I just did these videos showing the audio and definitely the audio of the vinyl is a huge improvement over the CD, it's clearer and less muddy, even with youtube compression...

Edit: The videos were taken down by youtube... but I just uploaded them on Vimeo

Last edited: Sep 13, 2015
    Cornfed Hick, Liveone, Zare and 3 others like this.
  2. Brigantium

Brigantium Work Geordie for hire Staff Member

Some of the guitar in the final chorus(es) of Eternity is much clearer. It sounded very understated on the CD.

3. Meliegree

Meliegree Dictionary lost in space and timeā€¦ for now.

And that's why I'll buy at some point in time all their recordings on vinyl.

4. Gk1

Gk1 Ancient Mariner

Most new tracks would be killer live. And a potential new live album could do them justice soundwise. Same way En Vivo! did to TFF songs.

5. Caveman Ninja

Caveman Ninja The Titanic doesn't fit inside

Wow, no kidding! The mastering is so much better. I've got the vinyl sitting at my girlfriend's house, haven't played it yet. Looking forward to it now.

6. Forostar

Forostar Conjure the Death Star again

That bass!

Meliegree likes this.
  7. frus

frus Barbed Wire Hen

These recordings sound much more mid-scooped than the CD version that I'm comparing them to.
    Which leads me to this question: if you digitalize the vinyl, then the sound depends on your phono preamp, possibly on some eq you may have, as well as A/D converter

I mean, it's not unambiguous as the CD (which is a stream of bits) ?

8. srfc

srfc Educated Fool

sounds great!

I don't have a record player right now, will need to hurry up and buy a replacement

EDIT: is there guitar fills at the last chours of IESF that aren't on the cd?

9. Caveman Ninja

Caveman Ninja The Titanic doesn't fit inside

Don't think so. It's just that the mastering on the CD is absolutely bollocks so you can't really hear them.

10. Brigantium

Brigantium Work Geordie for hire Staff Member

They're there, but very understated. I thought that was a deliberate feature of production, but maybe not.

11. The turntable is connected to an Aiwa receiver and the audio output is connected to the laptop where I record it with Audacity, but I don't make any alterations to the audio, it's .wav at 24bit...
    aiwa.jpg

12. frus

frus Barbed Wire Hen

OK, but Aiwa receiver itself may have some EQ? I'm asking because the difference is... staggering (sounds much better on your video than on CD in my opinion)

13. TheSpectreWithin

TheSpectreWithin Pirate of the Undergorund

The vinyl is noticeably better. I finally listened to my copy last night, and the lead guitar is far cleaner and sits better in the mix. Definitely worth the purchase.

14. srfc

srfc Educated Fool

Is it correct that it was mastered by a different guy than the CD master?

15. I don't think it has EQ, it's the tape rec audio output...

16. Yes, in the credits it says that there was an additional vinyl mastering by Chris Bellman...

17. frus

frus Barbed Wire Hen

Then it's definitely much better :blink:

18. The Flash

The Flash Dennis Wilcock did 9/11

Vinyl is better than CD every time, unless the vinyl mixing has been fucked up. It's a dream of mine to have a vinyl collection but I can't afford it.

19. mckindog

mckindog Living for Sanctuary from the law Staff Member

I ordered my Book of Souls vinyl yesterday.

20. Gk1

Gk1 Ancient Mariner

Could it be then that the 320 K mp3s out of a vinyl would sound better than the ones taken from the CD?