"The Book of Souls" - Official pre-release thread (CONTAINS ALBUM SPOILERS)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I should add...I'm still holding on to this being ahead of TFF on every level. TFF felt like it made you wait at times (Isle anyone?). Some of the AMOLAD with the brooding intros was a lesson in patience - although to be fair it fits mood of the album.

Compare that to the way the title track kicks in. Or The Red And The Black. Both would typically have them goofing off with long intros on previous albums but not this one. Also, the intro to the album is already ten times more interesting than TFF. You could make a case against TGU. Maybe. EotC is a whole different ballgame.

This album is awesome. I'll be perfectly honest: As much as I love the previous ones, there are times where they lull. There is no Out Of The Shadows here. They have also taken elements from the past four and expanded on them. BNW was a wonderful first reunion album as a calling card from the 80's. DoD they try something a little new but with half of the success. AMOLAD is the first of the long trilogy and blows most people away. TFF follows suit with a lighter theme and more experimentation in the mid-sections. TBOS finishes the deal by finally doing what should be done at this point...anything and everything.

Last edited:
I said earlier that I didn't want to listen to any more of the album, but I caved in and listened to EOTC.

First off, I just want to say, that this is quite possibly the band most beautiful, most melancholic song that they've ever released. I had a lump in my throat throughout the whole song. I don't really know where to start, but one thing that stands out for me is Bruce. Not only are his piano skills quite beautiful, but his vocals on this track are quite heartbreaking. The way he dictates some phrases such as the "the storm is raging around you" and "dreams live on" - They sound so impassioned.

Although I haven't listened to the whole album yet, Empire of Clouds may not only be my favourite post-2000 epic, but my favourite Maiden epic in general. It's beautiful. However, this may just be my emotions talking, my opinion might be different once I've listened to the whole album!

:)

"Honestly Iron Maiden should have just retired in 1989. There's been nothing for them to do since then."

This album is going to take a long time for me to process. Probably the hardest album for me to digest, with the exception of TXF. But I absolutely dig it.

There is some intense guitar work and musicianship in there that is going missing due to this uncharacteristically disoriented productìon.At least this is how I hear it on my system at home.
I actually like the production a lot more than TFF. I don't really get where you're getting the "disoriented production" from. It sounds nice and punchy to me, a far cry from the limp, damp production of TFF.

I actually like the production a lot more than TFF. I don't really get where you're getting the "disoriented production" from. It sounds nice and punchy to me, a far cry from the limp, damp production of TFF.

Might be my configuration. Laptop with headphones all I can hear is bigh frequesncies and no bottom end.

Just like the final frontier it's not what I wanted I miss the 80's some 90's and BNW days of maiden but I will try and keep listen to see if I change my mind. Nicko sounds like a 2mph turtle on drums and bruce sounds like he's getting strangled.

I just had the first "tears in my eyes" moment at 10:00 into TRATB.
I pre ordered the deluxe version and l can't wait just to look at the disks themselves! They look beautiful from the pics circulating. Iwill just rip them and put them away and gaze at the booklet for hours!

Has anyone noticed that the (as far s I can see, the two disks can be told apart Disk 2 has eagle heads meeting over Ed's head and has hieroglyphs of planes and a zeppelin? (I couldn't find the spoilers button hope this is not going against the rule but just had to post and it looks like there are other posts naming songs..)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back