"The Book of Souls" - Official pre-release thread (CONTAINS ALBUM SPOILERS)

Status
Not open for further replies.
From what I read, it seems that the guy considers it as an average song, that maybe doesn't fully meet expectations; a two-faced song, that could satisfy fans tired of longer songs in the last two albums, while it could be considered not so spontaneous and heartfelt. Definitely not the highlight of the album, maybe one of the lows.
And that's what I love to hear. I like SOL, it's amazing (so much better than the Alchemist and Final Frontier from last album) and from what I understand - rest of album is quite good. I still have feeling that for me it could be best album since SSOSS.

01. IF ETERNITY SHOULD FAIL (8:28)
In a disk the opener always has an important role, so high was the curiosity about this piece. Certainly the nearly nine minutes declared did think of something radically different from the three direct opener that we found in the first post-reunion album, namely "The Wickerman", "Wildest Dreams" and "Different World". The impression is, however, after listening to find us halfway: the shot is not certain what the songs mentioned above, but the end result is not the least verbose or tedious as could be expected. Nothing like endless drum on "Satellite 55", the intro of the last album, and nothing arpeggios to the bitter end, but a good heavy metal anthem with a chorus very nice and a very physical capital goods and present. The model to inspire us was roughly that of a "Brighter Than A Thousand Suns", but this song is less verbose and is generally usable despite nine minutes. What really struck it is narrated in the closing, in the background of curious echo effects. The piece is short, pleasant, but does not give us information or reassurance on the rest of the album ...
02. SPEED OF LIGHT (5:01)
The piece that we would have expected at the start we find here, in second position. Limited duration, speed opener, due to the experience and solidity guitars definitely Iron Maiden. What about the other? Well, definitely it is a good song, catchy and with a strong live to enrich a ladder that the introduction of the pieces from "The Final Frontier" had weighed perhaps a bit 'too. Honestly, however, we do not feel of a miracle for a track very similar to others on other disks maybe even more beautiful. The verses here in fact is not convincing as a "The Wickerman" and in general the roll is less than what we would have expected. Our only listening to this song qualifies as a song with two sides: one side is happy fans that have dried up the verbosity of the last two albums, maybe the other will be considered a track and a tad insincere pandering.
03. THE GREAT UNKNOWN (6:37)
If the first track of "Book of Souls" spoke of a plan to experiment still alive in Iron Maiden, already with the second song we instead witnessed an attempt to revive something that is along more canons. All in all, "The Great Unknown" does not abandon this philosophy, but does so in a perhaps more convincing than the previous track. Consisting of Smith and Harris, this song is in fact traditionally Iron Maiden, of course in the training post reunion. The track is not very long and can remember more or less the structure of a "No More Lies", with a low initial arpeggio to open the curtain on a rocky mid tempo riff quite decided, which then evolves into a more open basis that It supports a chorus rhythms higher. The song goes through an interesting instrumental part, recalls the chorus a few times and then closes with the arpeggio. A classic song, but definitely well composed.
04. THE RED AND THE BLACK (13:33)
Sorry to say, but "The Red And The Black", the second longest piece of the lot, is that after this first hearing left us with more questions than smiles. Sorry it is the only piece signed only by Harris, and we regret it, place the album at this level, is likely to bring up "The Book Of Souls" as poorer than it actually is. After an interesting piece, a more wobbly and one episode definitely canon, we would expect a bomb to "Dance Of Death", but this meatloaf thirteen minutes does not seem to be able to become, even with other plays. Opened by an intro with bass beat and guitars very dark, the song evolves later on a riff unexpected but interesting. The singing is dynamic, quality, but after intervening of 'ooooh oooooh' that we would put in mid-song. The piece then continues to change, bouncing on solutions that on their own are also very good, but that, given assiem, and give us some effect 'collage' a little 'uncomfortable. We can only hope that the music will grow with time, given that the lack of a more definite we made it here a little 'difficult to digest.
05. WHEN THE RIVER RUNS DEEP (5:52)
After "The Red And The Black" welcome with joy this piece more standard ... but with a few surprises. The song sticks with a riff but then change it immediately, proposing a more pace a bit 'different. The shooting remains good and the bpm are in line with the older albums of Iron Maiden, even if the structure here is more progressive and strung. The relatively short duration, however, allows the song to not get lost and become a hodgepodge of different riffs, so as to maintain its own identity that, on balance, we like. The piece does not leave us special signs, if not a sense of satisfaction for a song that definitely works. But we can not not tell you really like as a solo tone and execution in the middle of "Aces High". Good times indeed ...
06. THE BOOK OF SOULS (10:27)
No longer know what to expect, we head to the end of the first disc unexpectedly encountering a beautiful gemstone, a song certainly interesting in several respects. It is in fact an intro vaguely 'Wild West' to open up the song; choice that immediately catches the attention. What is happening? Despite sound so unusual for Iron Maiden, the memory of a certain "To Tame A Land" comes to mind, mostly to the structure and the inspiration epic than anything else, and we realize that the fortune of this song It will be governed not so much impact on the atmosphere or sull'orecchiabilità as painted by the instruments. The song shows a slow growing, inserting elements and enriching the sound to the midpoint, where an acceleration rather sensitive guide the song to the long instrumental section and soloist. The ride that follows involves us completely, and so the song does not lose the listener's attention he attracted by the unusual atmosphere. Again to close the arpeggio western song, but in my ears still ringing compact all other sections that have crossed in the past ten minutes. A song that, in our opinion, gives an important signal: you can bring together the pen complicated Harris and a long playing time with an interesting development and captivating. Bravi.
07. DEATH OR GLORY (5:13)
Disc two opens with one of the songs more fired and direct, in the best tradition of the old album by Iron Maiden. The battery of Nicko bad beats, the bass is swirling guitars and the vibe created by conquest from the first minute, with the result to win our favor almost immediately. The attack is finally only the front, with no failure and no change of pace or tone, and this linearity allows Bruce to express themselves on the highest level, with a performance worthy of his note uvula gold. Apart from a small section a little 'dispersive in pre-only, we promote all of this passage. No doubt we would have proposed as opener of the CD 1.
08. SHADOWS OF THE VALLEY (7:32)
The ultimate good of the CD 1 and the exciting beginning of this second album we are in a good mood, so we like this ride after all classic that can remember the beautiful "The Reincarnation Of Benjamin Breege". Riff pleasant, with guitars in the front line, and growing voice in classical rhythm ride in the middle period: the classic Iron will also not particularly new, but the piece we appreciate the same. The chorus is nice, as well as interesting and well executed remain both the section before the solos that the solo part, and therefore are not objectively only one weak point in the entire hotel. On balance, it is the piece that we liked most of the album, and the only one we had a chance to listen to two times (at our request).
09. TEARS OF A CLOWN (4:59)
On balance, given the title, we had made a different idea ... But the song is not a sad and mournful ballad strappalacrima, but rather a raw anthem with a heavy riff rather asymmetrical and a sinuous bass line which we really appreciated. The vocal lines, despite the sharpness of the instrumental part, remain open and catchy, with particular attention to the usual beautiful chorus. A song definitely unexpected and that is certainly thorough, but that gave us the impression of being the one farthest to the classic Iron-sound. If this trial had good results or not we reserve the right to tell you when we heard the other times ...
10. THE MAN OF SORROWS (6:28)
Despite the title almost snatched the lead of Dickinson "Accident Of Birth", the song is not signed by the singer in its entirety. Murray and Harris are the authors of this almost-ballad, but curiously reminds us just how sound the Dickinson solo. By the way, the song evolves quickly, however, after coming off two minutes from those clichés established on the last album "Coming Home" and adding a little 'pepper, until it turns into a heavy song in effect. A bit 'of transformation, then, in a song again maybe not stellar, but certainly pleasant and certainly not boring or drowned in dozens of changes of sounds. The hearing level of the disk is improved significantly on this second part: sagging in fact there are none yet.
11. EMPIRE OF THE CLOUDS (18:01)
Let's face it: those of you who do not hatching in secret thought, once bought the disc, just start listening to this song? If there are few raised hands you're naughty, because those eighteen minutes marked beside the title can not be overlooked. Eighteen minutes. That are? Dream Theater? No, Iron Maiden, fortunately, but the Iron in a new light and bold, which we will attempt to explain in these lines. The song in fact open since the early minutes in a somewhat 'atypical. There is the low start, there's the guitar arpeggio, but there are also piano and a synth very important. The song is also a growing, but a slow crescendo that follows the various stages of the plot that tells of this empire built above the clouds. A first instrumental section comes to us from the head and neck when we would not have expected and sends back the song on tracks familiar to Iron last period, until, on a nice riff, the song does not seem incartarsi and collapse on itself . From the ashes of the first part then comes a second section more heroic epic, prog flavor in very real, but that does not forget its roots heavy. This song, so out of standard, to survive changes often and offers us a wide plethora of sounds and solutions; solutions that, unlike "The Red And The Black", are well constructed and mix. The piece then becomes more and more explosive, with vocals gradually more urgent and daring, until the story ends and the music returns to the beginning. The minutes have passed, but the final feeling is that of a journey, not of boredom or stunning as was the case with many (too many?) Tracks from "The Final Frontier". With amazement, we are to approve in toto this risky experiment: in this case the class and skill with pentagram won the boredom factor, giving us an episode that we did not expect and which projects the Iron Maiden to dimensions that were not actually never trod

Its interesting that, of the 4 reviews I've seen, there is no general consensus with regard to the albums weak points. One review said Death or Glory was the weak point, but in this review its a stronger rocker than Speed of Light. It seems like it'll be extremely consistent ala AMOLAD
There seems to be a much stronger trend as to the indication of what the standouts are, and a persistent sense that this album is very much a journey of unprecedented diversity within Maidens catalogue.

Let me add a few more details from the Italian review:

1. If Eternity Should Fail: Something in the vein of BTATS but more concise and not so "long-winded", as the reviewer calls it. The 9 minutes flow by quickly. There's a narrated part at the end with many voices converging. (As has been said in the French review a few days ago.)

2. SoL: Nothing special about this track, it's not as convincing as The Wicker Man, for example, and inferior to Maiden's standards. On one hand, it's a simple and straightforward rocker, and in this sense it will please those who thought AMOLAD and TFF were too complex, but on the other hand it seems "by-the-numbers" and rough.

3. The Great Unknown: It follows in the style of Speed of Light, but is a much more convincing effort. It's traditional post-reunion Maiden. It starts with a bass line, then in come the guitars. There's an interesting instrumental section in the middle, followed by the chorus repeated a few times and it closes with the same bass line.

4. The Red and the Black: The reviewer doesn't like this one, says it's a mish-mash of different ideas and riffs that might be interesting by themselves, but here they just seem thrown together. There's an "ooooh oooooh ooooh" singalong section in the middle of the song.

5. When the River Runs Deep: It starts with a riff straight away, but changes to another one not long after. It's as fast as the classic-era Maiden, and to the point. The reviewer is satisfied - the song functions well. There's also a solo reminiscent of Aces High.

6.The Book of Souls: The "precious stone" of the album. It captures the attention right away, and reminds of To Tame A Land because of its epicness and atmosphere. It starts slow and builds up towards the middle of the song, and then there's a long instrumental and solo section. It's still possible to match Steve's complicated creativity and a long running time.

7. Death or Glory: Again a rocker, but no tempo changes or anything, just non-stop fast-paced action. Bruce really lets it rip on this one. DoG should have been the opener of the album.

8. Shadows of the Valley: Remniscent of Benjamin Breeg, has a galloping rhythm at some point, and is the song that the reviewer has loved the most, and - upon his request - has been allowed to listen to it for a second time during the listening session. Has a great chorus.

9. Tears of a Clown: Not a ballad as the title would suggest, but a metal anthem with an assymetric riff and a great bass line. Another great chorus. An unexpected type of song, but closest to classic Maiden.

10. Man of Sorrows: Starts like Coming Home, and after two minutes becomes heavier. Nothing too special, but also not boring and it isn't too busy for its own good.

11. Empire of the Clouds: A new type of Iron Maiden. It starts with a bass line and then some guitar arpeggios, and then piano and "a very important" synth. The song builds up slowly and then there's an early instrumental section, after which the song becomes modern Iron Maiden. From the ashes of the first part is born the second part of the song, more epic and heroic, real prog, but not forgetting its heavy roots. It is more and more explosive, with vocals growing equally stronger. At the end, it returns to the initial feel. It's a journey, but one that doesn't feel long or arduous. A great song.

Different reviews have different takes on the album which is great because it means there is something for everyone. I still believe Red and The Black and Book of Souls will become my most favorites. This latest reviewer didnt like Red but he also praises Benjamin Breeg...which i thought was one of the weak songs in AMOLAD and so i dont know...

I wonder why maiden had to name the track Man of Sorrows considering there is already a song named exactly that within the maiden family? Why not Sorrows of a Man or A matter of Sorrow and Deatho_O

Maybe Bruce's stuff on the new album was originally planned for a solo-release, and even Roy Z was involved with the writing of it? I mean, how was the story back then with "Bring your daughter", wasn't Gers somehow involved in the writing?
So, now that Bruce has said that If Eternity Should Fail was in fact written and already demoed for his next solo-release, when Steve heard it and wanted it for BOS, the question regarding Roy Z's role in the track remains...

I wonder why maiden had to name the track Man of Sorrows considering there is already a song named exactly that within the maiden family? Why not Sorrows of a Man or A matter of Sorrow and Deatho_O
Fear of sorrow or even better - Fear and sorrow would be so much better, right?

Man of Sorrows is not within maiden family, not for me at least.

Some people here and elsewhere critizise SOL for sounding muddy, which they blame to Kevin Shirley's "production". As I've mentioned in another thread, this muddiness is actually rather the 3 guitarist's fault. The problem is that all 3 of them play all the time, and they all the time play roughly the same. If a) they played exactly the same (like the double/triple/quadruple etc. guitar-tracking you get on many metal records), or if b) you had just 2 or even just 1 playing at a time while the other ones have a break, or if c) they really played different stuff, complement each other in a distinguishable way, that would remove the mud.

Some people here and elsewhere critizise SOL for sounding muddy, which they blame to Kevin Shirley's "production". As I've mentioned in another thread, this muddiness is actually rather the 3 guitarist's fault. The problem is that all 3 of them play all the time, and they all the time play roughly the same. If a) they played exactly the same (like the double/triple/quadruple etc. guitar-tracking you get on many metal records), or if b) you had just 2 or even just 1 playing at a time while the other ones have a break, or if c) they really played different stuff, complement each other in a distinguishable way, that would remove the mud.
I find the drums distracting and the muddiness of the 250-500 hz area on the toms and the low mid thump on the kick in particular. It's quite over powering. Honestly, less low mids on the drums and I think it would sound significantly better.

Sorry, but the horrible untreated plastic-y tom sound and overcompressed bass drum is DEFINITELY Kevin's fault... and, most likely, Steve's insistance.

I find the drums distracting and the muddiness of the 250-500 hz area on the toms and the low mid thump on the kick in particular. It's quite over powering. Honestly, less low mids on the drums and I think it would sound significantly better.
Right on the money. A little more low end and top end, scoop out some low mids, maybe a touch of reverb on the toms and more room sound in the mix and they'd sound great.

Reactions: Yax
The toms aren't there all the time, and the kick for the most part is in another frequency spectrum and obviously also short in duration (which makes it less problematic), but even if maybe you're right to some degree: my point about the 3 guitars remains.

But the guitars sound muddy even if they don't play the exact same thing. E.g during the intro, during the solo or the guitar lead melody. In all Maiden albums, even when they had two guitarists, they usually tracked more than two guitars. The sound was just fine if you ask me.

As far as I am concerned the demo-like production of e.g. Redeemer of Souls is much more refined and clear.:facepalm:

But the guitars sound muddy even if they don't play the exact same thing. E.g during the intro, during the solo or the guitar lead melody. In all Maiden albums, even when they had two guitarists, they usually tracked more than two guitars. The sound was just fine if you ask me.
They've had this problem for a long time IMO. And it has nothing to do with either one of them per se (I love Janick, he contributes a lot to Maiden - mind you!). It has to do with the arrangements of the 3 guitars.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back