"The Book of Souls" - Official pre-release thread (CONTAINS ALBUM SPOILERS)

Status
Not open for further replies.
The new Nightwish album sounds great, much better than the rather compressed Imaginaerum. An album like Endless Forms must be very difficult to mix and master when taking into account all the instruments and so much else going on, but I think this time Nightwish used a similar approach to Maiden for a very live-ish sound. I prefer this way of mastering compared to the loudness war nonsense of other popular metal music. So what if I have to crank up the volume a little bit, it's not a big deal. That's why I get so confused about all the talk here about issues with the AMOLAD and TFF production and mastering. Dance of Death was one of the worst casualties of the loudness war so I much prefer the more hands-off mastering job of AMOLAD and TFF. Maybe they can reach some sort of middle ground with TBOS.

Yes you are absolutely correct about the loudness/compression aspect. Maiden have not been severe offenders in that area so far. It's much better to have to turn up the volume and have some dynamic range preserved.

Being on vacations and consumed because the wait for Speed Of Light is killing me, I've decided to make some Iron Maiden vinyl videos from my collection to kill the time... I just uploaded Out Of The Silent Planet, one of my favourites from Brave New World, on picture disc... use good headphones...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back