The "A"s of Maiden

What is your favourite song that begins with the letter "A" (ignoring the article "the")?

• Another Life

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Aces High

Votes: 17 51.5%
  • Alexander the Great

Votes: 6 18.2%
  • The Assassin

• Afraid to Shoot Strangers

Votes: 3 9.1%
  • The Apparition

• The Aftermath

Votes: 4 12.1%
  • The Angel and the Gambler

Votes: 1 3.0%
  • Age of Innocence

Votes: 2 6.1%

• Total voters

Genghis Khan

Ancient Mariner
Vote for your favourite song that begins with the letter "A".  I ignored the article "the" for the purpose of this vote. 

My vote is split between Afraid to Shoot Strangers and The Aftermath.  The former has some of the best soloing I've heard and the latter has some of the most emotional and well-written lyrics with a great solo as well.  My vote goes to The Aftermath because I've enjoyed it more recently.  An honourable mention goes to Aces High.

I like Afraid To Shoot Strangers off of BOTB, that's the only version I've actually heard. I dunno if Bruce sings it as well as Blaze or not.

I'm voting for Aces High  :ok: Classic, classic Maiden tune!

Aces High
Alexander the Great
Afraid to Shoot Strangers
The Aftermath

Of these four, I'm pretty stuck.

Aces High has a really great vibe to it, although there are few surprises; it's just a straight, memorable rocker.  AtG is completely different, musically and lyrically (Aces High has better lyrics, with a great sense of immediacy).

AtSS and the Aftermath are great melancholic tracks with some fantastic movements and lyrics.

The Aftermath wins this one, just, as a real grower of a track.

My vote goes to Aces High! The Churchill intro followed by this song on LAD is a real classic, and it still gives me those strange/good feelings inside my body when I listen to it. :)

Alexander the Great
Afraid to Shoot Strangers
Aces High

Those songs are all fantastic! Difficult to choose, but in the end I go for Alexander The Great, because of the all the nice changes in the song, the guitar work and the visionary beginning!

I like that song too (Alexander the Great), but I can never vote for it since I've heard a cover that I prefer.  The cover version is faster and crisper (which is another proof to me that the album suffers from bad production) during the soloing and time changes, which really are the high points of the song.

The other night, I sat and watched the Visions of the Beast DVD and on came The Angel and the Gambler. And guess what, I realised that I actually love that track (really, no kidding) - that is where my vote goes.

Although, Another Life and Afraid to Shoot Strangers are notable mentions. In fact, The Apparition aside, there all great tracks.

This is a contrast-filled list for me. It contains both some of my favourite Maiden songs and some of the least favourite ones. The very first Maiden song I listened to from an album I had bought (I had a few downloaded songs before that) was Aces High, which hooked me immediately. A very, very cool song.

I like many of the songs in the list;

- Aces High for the catchy melodies and entertaining lyrics (you almost get the feeling of being in one of the Spitfires  :) )
- Alexander the great, for the excellent mid section and great solos
- Afraid to shoot strangers, for its fine guitar parts (and I am a bit fascinated by the discussion over the lyrics, it has been interpreted as both pro- and anti-war as well as neither, and I think all interpretations have something in them)
- The Aftermath, mainly for its very powerful lyrics, but the song is not bad music-wise either - quite good, actually

Another Life is something in between for me together with Age of Innocence. Not killer tracks (well, Another Life is on Killers so perhaps ...) but not bad either. The Apparition, The Assassin and The Angel and the Gambler are songs I don't consider among Maiden's finest. Actually, I think they are among the weakest on their respective albums.

No, really, I must make up my mind. Alexander or Aces? Urgh, this is hard. But I guess my avatar demands me to vote for Aces High  :smartarse:

This wasn`t a hard decision for me, my vote goes to The Aftermath. It has one of the best solos I`ve ever heard, not to mention the lyrics.

Aces High : fast, blazing heavy metal, great intro, great chorus, good lyrics, great solos! Alexander The Great is a musical masterpiece, but the lyrics...well everything has been already said about those. ATSS, great track, but i still like Aces High better. Aftermath, don't like it's mood, don't like XF overall, Apparition is somewhat different than usual Maiden stuff, but not progressive enough, altrough i really like the guitar-guitar-bass harmony in the middle. Assasin - has a nice theme, and music, but overall average song, TAATG, one of their worst songs...Age Of Innoncence, mediocre.

Back