TFP-tour (almost) over - time for a summary about the tour & Maiden in 2023 (*spoiler anyway*)

Dick Brucinson

Dave Sustaine
Now that the Future Past-Tour is almost over I think it's time and might be interesting to sum things up by coming to some kind of inventory about Maiden in 2023. What, in your opinion, were the strenghts and also the critical aspects about Maiden in 2023 in common and TFP-Tour in particular?

I cannot criticize anything on this tour. I wasn't there this year. I'm waiting for Paris next year.

The only thing is that I'd appreciate they'd put "The Parchment" on their setlist instead of "Death Of The Celts", "Lost In A Lost World" instead of "Fear Of The Dark", "Deja Vu" or "Sea Of Madness" instead of "The Trooper" or "The Prisoner".

This tour was amazing and there isn't much to criticize but I wish they played two more songs and the songs I wish they played are The Darkest Hour and either The Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner or Sea of Madness. Besides wanting to hear these songs live it was a fantastic show and I heard songs I only dreamed of hearing live. They always play songs I dream of hearing live but the show I saw in Milan will be remembered because it was the first show I saw in Italy

Last edited:
And what next? I know theyve got a small Canadian tour and then Powertrip but no schedule after that. I presume a full U.S tour end of the year/begining 2024

I have to imagine The Future Past Tour is doing a North/South American tour in 2024. There's been lots of rumours about venues in SA being booked, and I've heard a couple around NA as well. I'd expect announcements after the European leg concludes, since usually there's like a 6 month period to book.

TFP tour -> one of Maiden's best tours! The whole tour feels so fresh. Time and time again they find ways to surprise us! :notworthy:

Strengths: setlist, stage and performances. A lot of deep cuts, the LED screens are a nice surprise and the band sounds great in 2023, Nicko too. Everything looks so cool. The big glowing Eddie too.

What I wanted: Parchment in the set (then again Celts is great) and some of the backdrops to be with more Eddies/different, although some of them are amazing and some of the band's best. Yes, they could have played Sea Of Madness instead of Heaven Can Wait, but the latter is a great live song. I would have liked Futureal and Brave New World too. They also could have included one more (Reunion era?) song in which Janick has a solo. That's it.

Criticism: none. Ok, Nicko's drum kit should have been green... :p His drum kit is great.

Last edited:
I'm 100% sure we'll get another leg next year, probably the Americas, rest of the world and maybe a few Euro dates. Set list will be unchanged. Big question is if there will be a 2025 leg.

There are many countries they didn't play Future Past Tour in Europe, like Austria, Bulgaria, Greece, Estonia, Denmark, Hungary, Croatia, Turkey...
And since they haven't played Alexander the Great in Greece, i'm sure they are hiding this "event" for 2024.
I think 2-3 songs will change. Hallowed will return. Maybe Beast too. They might drop Celts or Time Machine.

This tour has been a breath of fresh air, and it was needed. The setlist is the most exciting since 2005. Performances have also been really good. Bruce is inhuman, Adrian as expected and Dave has his best tour in years. Nicko does struggle a bit, tempowise it's good but the cost is simplified patterns and less fills. I would be surprised to see him last longer than 2024.

If they don’t tour Europe next year I will consider 2-4 shows in the US.

It's a tour for the fans. Hats of to the band for that. The only change I would do to the setlist is Hallowed for FOTD. And it would be perfect.

And, yeah, as others said, I expect SA and NA dates in the spring/summer next year, followed by a few dates in Europe (festivals and a few countries they missed this year).

We shall see what they do for Power Trip, as I strongly suspect that Celts could make its way for 2MTM and TNOTB or HBTN (one of those), since they are getting paid a lot of money. If this happens, I think it's good news for those who want to hear The Parchment. I know that Parchment lost to DOTC during internal band setlist voting (I have good sources on this), or even drew with it. But there is a band member who decides which one is to be performed, if there is a draw. So, If they switch out DOTC for 1 or 2 classics during Powertrip, I think Parchment has a chance next year.

Songs other than DOTC are staying put for 2024 IMO. And DOTC is also most likely staying. But, there could be changes.

Overall I think it's been an incredible tour.

Bruce sounds fantastic and is clearly having a really good time.

Steve and the 3 amigos are excellent as always.

It's well documented that Nicko has simplified some parts, but the tempos are solid and consistent, and some fills have been returning in the later shows. I do wonder how much longer he can keep doing this though. I worry that 2024 could be his last run.

The setlist was a huge surprise. No one expected the band to be so ruthless in dropping the usual live staples. I think being stuck in LOTB for 4 years made them really want to do something new. This setlist seems to have given the band a challenge and they seem to be enjoying it. Not something you expect from bands of this age, most are happy to churn out the same greatest hits sets for decades.

I'm not going to complain about "they should have replaced X song with Y"
I do miss Hallowed though.

Set and staging are brilliant. Ok it's not as mind blowing as LOTB but the band are focusing more on the music and less on Brice running backstage for costume/prop changes. The gun fight in HCW is brilliant. The new LED screens are a nice addition.

I'm excited to see if anything changes next year, and curious if we'll be getting into new album territory sooner rather than later.

There are many countries they didn't play Future Past Tour in Europe, like Austria, Bulgaria, Greece, Estonia, Denmark, Hungary, Croatia, Turkey...
And since they haven't played Alexander the Great in Greece, i'm sure they are hiding this "event" for 2024.
I think 2-3 songs will change. Hallowed will return. Maybe Beast too. They might drop Celts or Time Machine.
That's not going to happen, they will keep the 5 Senjutsu 5 SIT 5 classics into next year 1000%

Ah, but you forget one thing: that backdrop for DOTC must've cost a pretty penny so they have to keep using it to justify the cost!
Probably less than WED backdrop and the stage camouflage during LOTB... Or same as TOAC backdrop in 2016.

And both things got binned for 2022 and TOAC got binned in 2017.

If they tour Europe again next year they should definitely play in Greece in addition to other places they didn't play such as Austria, Turkey, Bulgaria, and Romania. They should also have shows in the United Kingdom (they should absolutely have shows in their home country), Ireland, and a show in Rome, Italy

Last edited:
It's a tour for the fans. Hats of to the band for that.

We shall see what they do for Power Trip, as I strongly suspect that Celts could make its way for 2MTM and TNOTB or HBTN (one of those), since they are getting paid a lot of money. If this happens, I think it's good news for those who want to hear The Parchment. I know that Parchment lost to DOTC during internal band setlist voting (I have good sources on this), or even drew with it. But there is a band member who decides which one is to be performed, if there is a draw. So, If they switch out DOTC for 1 or 2 classics during Powertrip, I think Parchment has a chance next year.

Songs other than DOTC are staying put for 2024 IMO. And DOTC is also most likely staying. But, there could be changes.
I agree with your first and last comment. As for the second one, I think they won't change anything for Power Trip - they wanted to give NOTB a bit of a break and Hallowed is replaced with Alexander and other epics (maybe it's also a difficult song for Nicko now?). I think Hallowed was more missed in 2017 and 2012-2014.

Also, Steve has chosen Celts, right? Bruce likes Parchment more.
I'm excited to see if anything changes next year, and curious if we'll be getting into new album territory sooner rather than later.
I think they view the tour as an album tour (which is usually 2 years) and thus they could change 1 or at most 2 songs for next year. That's why they will most likely play in Europe again. I think they will want to celebrate their 50th anniv with a different tour.

I'm also curious about a new album. I think they might record it next year and release it in 2025/2026. If the next tour is Hits tour it could go on for 3 years, but if it's a Hits tour with Deep cuts it will be 2 years, so 2027 for a new album (6 years gap again). They will want to focus on touring.

Also, Steve has chosen Celts, right? Bruce likes Parchment more.
Nope. That's incorrect. As far as my info goes (very reliable sources), there was a 3-3 draw between Parchment and Celts and Bruce was the deciding vote as he is the vocalist.

I also know the reason why, but will keep that to myself for now.

Nope. That's incorrect. As far as my info goes (very reliable sources), there was a 3-3 draw between Parchment and Celts and Bruce was the deciding vote as he is the vocalist.

I also know the reason why, but will keep that to myself for now.
That's a surprise. He mentioned in an interview that Hell On Earth and Parchment are his favorite epics from the album. I guess the reason is the amount of lyrics.

I'll try to guess the votes: Celts (Steve, Janick, Bruce) <-> Parchment (Nicko, Adrian, Dave).

Back