SYMPHONY X ALBUMS SURVIVOR 2016: Results -> V: The New Mythology Suite wins!

Satisfied with the results?

• Total voters
Because people get confused between album survivors and song survivors and/or people tend to forget the bad songs on an album when said album has 6 great songs.
For me it's not a matter of forgetting the bad songs, It's the fact that the great songs are enough to make up for them.

In Maiden terms, it's why I prefer Dance of Death to Brave New World. DoD's highs are enough to push the album past BNW for me, even though BNW is much more consistent throughout.

And yes, I'm aware that by this logic I should prefer The Odyssey to V. V is a special case to me where the album as a whole just flows so nicely and makes for an even more rewarding experience.

SURVIVOR_RULES_018.jpg

Top 9
01. V: The New Mythology Suite
02. The Odyssey
03. The Divine Wings Of Tragedy
04. Paradise Lost
05. Twilight In Olympus
06. Underworld
07. The Damnation Game
08. Iconoclast
09. Symphony X

Thanks for hosting! Results are close but DWOT is way too high. Paradise Lost should be #3.

Don't really care about the placement of everything else tbh, as long as Iconoclast and SX are at the bottom. The remaining albums are so similar in style (except Underworld) and pretty much the same quality that I'm not even sure how I would rank them. They aren't like Dream Theater where every album is a different animal, which makes them harder to rank.

For me it's not a matter of forgetting the bad songs, It's the fact that the great songs are enough to make up for them.

Exactly. Divine Wings has a few clear fillers, but the title track and the other two epics (as well as the first three songs to a lesser extent) more than make up for the average-ness of Witching Hour or Pharaoh. And I still like Medusa.

In Maiden terms, it's why I prefer Dance of Death to Brave New World. DoD's highs are enough to push the album past BNW for me, even though BNW is much more consistent throughout.

Gonna have to disagree with you there, since aside from Rainmaker, the title track, Paschendale, and Journeyman, I find DoD to be highly unmemorable. But that's a topic for another thread.

When it comes to Symphony X, I think their most consistent albums are actually Paradise Lost and Underworld. They have a few lows (e.g. Run with the Devil) but nothing is really "filler" in the sense of the word (unlike The Turning or even some of the segues on V). Unfortunately, as the band "matured," they dropped the multi-polymetric progressive melodic stuff in favor of more br00tal metal for a different crowd. They tried to bring back the complexity with Iconoclast, but I think it just sounded soulless like many of Dream Theater's Rudess-influenced instrumental sections. I think Underworld is a nice balance of Symphony X's newer sound, but it lacks the grandeur and complexity of their first six albums.

Back