Strange World

How good is Strange World on a scale of 1-10?

• Total voters
a song i regularly skip. Ive never been a fan of the melancholy feel, it doesnt captivate me enough in its instumental or presentation to get past how sad it sounds and how i feel it lacks content. 5/10

8/10

It's a strange one. Maiden with a case of the Floyds? Beautiful guitar playing, similar in feel to the playing on parts of 'Still Life' and 'Powerslave'.

'STRANGE WORLD' is probably my most favorite of all Maiden tracks.

Followed closely by another great in,

'Remember Tomorrow'.

8/10. As noted previously in this thread, the most Pink Floyd-esque song Maiden have ever done. Great performance from Paul, and a uniquely melancholic feel to the song.

9/10. As others have said, I quite like the Pink Floyd vibe emanating from this song.

On Paul Day's website:

1975 : Iron Maiden

At the age of 19, I had an opportunity to sing with “Iron Maiden”. This was my first real band, as my only other experience came from singing with friends in bedrooms and backyards. In the newly formed “Iron Maiden” I wrote my first song, – “Strange World” (unaccredited) which was included years later on their first album – simply called “Iron Maiden”.

Forgotten gem for sure. Beautiful melodies, amazing solos, and interesting lyrics. Song has great atmosphere. Not a masterpiece, but close enough. 9/10

For some reason this song has always caught me completely. 10/10.
And to me it just proves that maiden have produced incredibly diverse stuff - from Strange World (and still life) over 2 minutes to midnight to can I play with madness. From one end of the scale to the other.

On the interpretation, theres is no doubt in my mind that Steve (or Paul?) got him selv a crystal ball back in the late 70's and had a glimpse of online dating 35 years after :)
Proof enough for me that time travelling is possible ;)

UYI!

I really love this track and I don't get why it's so maligned.

The atmosphere is what really makes this song. It feels like an acid trip (I've never done LSD so I can only assume) and almost warm, fuzzy, transcendent. Dave Murray packs so much feeling and artistry into his solo. The atmosphere is killer.

10/10

For some reason, this reminds me of a Pink Floyd song and that's not a bad thing. The dreamworld is still going for me and i'm being lead by Eddie and his guitar. Excellent singing by Di'Anno as we complete these three excellent songs. I love when albums keep the greatness going for so many consecutive songs.

10/10

This song have a really different feeling to it, and was the hardest to get into on the album. While it is not bad in any way, it is not that good either for me.
For me, there are not enough focus in the song, and feels king of empty. But it's still a good song so it deserves:

6/10

This is a song I didn't appreciate at first, but one day it clicked with me.
The clean guitar work and ethereal atmosphere remind me of some later Maiden songs e.g Heaven Can Wait, Infinite Dreams, and Starblind.
Tied with Transylvania for 2nd best track on the debut.

8/10

I wasn't a fan of this one in the past, but it's grown on me immensely in recent years. I now consider it a highlight of the album. 8/10

For some reason, this song reminds me of Low Man's Lyric by Metallica. It's a solid ballad, with a good atmosphere and the lyrics are pretty captivating too.

6/10

RTC's Maiden Ranking:
1: Phantom Of The Opera
2: Remember Tomorrow
3: Transylvania
4: Strange World
5: Sanctuary
6: Prowler
7: Running Free

This song is very different from the rest of the album and while some could see that as a minus, I don't. I like this song! As many here have already mentioned, this one has some Floyd vibes.

I feel that this song has the best vocals on the album. It doesn't have the best instrumentation, but those solos are still pretty good. There's also some genuine atmosphere here, something I feel was missing from the six previous songs.

So, what do I give this song? I'll give it an 8/10.

Back