Starblind

How good is Starblind on a scale of 1-10?

• Total voters
Re: Daily Song: Starblind

'Starblind' is the second filler on this album. I deem it the worst song actually. It reminds me of 'Infinite Dreams' and I don't really dig blatant key changes. This one and 'Isle Of Avalon' are songs I have little use for. (3/10)

The true power of this song is its melodic strength, Maiden's most important factor.
Despite its deep lyrics, some complicated rhythms, this song still contains these amazing melodies, musically and vocal wise. It's this mighty combination that does it...

Bruce delivers one of his finest moments with these haunting lyrics, which almost make me think they were written by an ancient saint, or a wise sorcerer or someone like that. Every sentence is a poetic masterpiece.

Love Adrian's moving soloing, especially during the 2nd chorus(!), to be exact: it begins when Bruce sings:
Walk away from comfort offered by your citizens of death

..and continues in that attached chorus.

The very grooving, harmonic interval is another highlight of the album.

A full score for this best song of the last two albums.

Amazing song. maidenhead1996 said pretty much everything else. 10/10!

A gem.  I prefer other songs on the album but just as I found AMOLAD a masterpiece so is TFF and therefore there are 10's a plenty in my ratings.  The riff at 5:04 is totally from out of this world, aliens must have planted that one into Adrian's head as it is even too amazing for an immortal such as he to create.

This song is a straight 10 from me and probably my absolute favorite post 2000 Maiden song.  To me everything about this song just simply works.  Lyrics, performances, vibe, everything.  One of Maiden's greatest achievements.

Another 10 from me. This is song is only second to Isle Of Avalon. It's just an insanely great song.

10 doesn't really represent this song sufficiently. In my world, second only to Paschendale in brilliance, and lyrically surpassed by none. This song reinforces my existential tendencies every time I listen to it, and if ever there was a Maiden tune able to make a listener ask some big questions, this is the one. I mean, "The crucible of pain will forge the blanks of sin...begin again." Holy fuck...

3738383/10. Best Maiden song, best song ever. Hands down.

I think this song has the same problem as
Alexander the Great:
The sheer magic that was created in the studio, the execution of the solos by Adrian Smith... too sublime, some parts are too fragile, too daring to have a go with it live. Knowing Adrian's perfectionism, he'll never want to do that live.

I think that's the reason why Paschendale had to go in 2010: the fragility of some parts, when these go wrong, it can be very frustrating. Stranger in a Strange land's solo also has such moments, of which I can imagine that the slightest mistake must annoy Smith the hell out of him. No wonder it was hardly played in the history of Maiden.
Same goes for Sea of Madness.

Apart from the emotions these songs would evoke when brought on stage, they'll always sound less good, sonically.

9/10. Lyrically brilliant (though I would argue, LC, that Revelations is Bruce's best lyrics - it's the poetry of it that makes it better). Song itself, very good - which is why I give it a score as such.

Cosmiceddie said:
'Starblind' is the second filler on this album. I deem it the worst song actually. It reminds me of 'Infinite Dreams' and I don't really dig blatant key changes. This one and 'Isle Of Avalon' are songs I have little use for. (3/10)

Give it another ten listens... while also paying attention to the lyrics. Absorb the musical complexity hidden in what seems like simple rhythms. If, after that, you don't rate the song a 10/10 (or higher), well, I dunno what to say.

I don't think I've found a song so lyrically deep, or a song where the music so effortlessly takes you on the journey the lyrics tell. The music is an amazing blend of contradictions and contrasts, that not so ironically mirror the very life (and death) experiences that the lyrics/story talk about. It's filled with music layered on top of each other, often going in seemingly entirely different directions at once - much like the trials and travails of life itself, and the subsequent confusion we've all experienced when delving into the deeper philosophical topics about life, death, religion, reality, promises, experiences and perceptions.

This song is deep in meanings; some hidden, some not so hidden... perceptions; some spelled out, some left for the listener to fill in with their own... questions; some answered, some asked, some unanswerable. The lyrics and the music deserve many very deep listenings - the song is very much like the complexity of understanding creation, life, death and beyond itself. It's a wild journey for anyone who spends the time enjoying the whole ride.

Anyway...
Perun said:
3738383/10. Best Maiden song, best song ever. Hands down.

I think Perun has lost it...  ;) I'd rate it at least 3738387/10!!! But, to each their own...

10. When it first started, it already put me in a different mood. I knew this song was coming full force, but I never thought it would grab me so much, in every aspect. Musically, it is a mix of Maiden from Piece Of Mind era, adding to the rifferama from Sabbath's Vol 4 and all the psychedelic/space sounds and moods Floyd created with Ummagumma, TDSOTM. Adrian still keeps that freeform jazzy motif, but this time coming in little doses, making a contrast with Bruce's warnings about the waste of life exactly with what most people believe to be their newfound way to life itself. The instrumental breakdowns presented here are mind blowing with also key changes, from Adrian to Dave/Jan almost unoticeable back to back solos, as in Childhood's End, and then to Jan's melody with Nicko kicking in tribal manner before following into a spacial journey with wondeful layers of keyboards. The song then comes back to its womb with Adrian's otherworldly licks, before bursting again into Bruce's 'sermonic' voicings about the emptiness of blind faith.

Maiden most powerful and meaningful song in, at least, 10 years. Classic!!! :edmetal:

The core of this song is that trippy, stumbling rhythmic pattern on the main verse. It sticks in your head long after the song is over. An evocative opening, outstanding lyric — probably Bruce’s best — and a good, understated chorus make it a classic. Amazing layers of subtle guitar parts and the irresistible riff at the five-minute mark are the icing on the cake to a most unconventional, challenging and incredibly satisfying piece of art. Ten.

Really good song musiically with some graet lyrics as well, not the best on the album (I give that to Avalon), but still a great song.  A 10.

This track evokes instant melancholy. It's so full of atmosphere, somehow just the sound of it transfers me into past and i get the feeling of wasting something, that feeling when you know you haven't done everything you could. I mean what's to say? It's a pure work of art, it can compete with best of Floyd's trippy proggy works, and same time it's one of the best metal tracks ever done. To see this coming from a band that's been around for almost 40 years, that's mammoth and staple of heavy metal, is just incredible. I didn't think they could do this. Isle Of Avalon, second favourite off the album, yes - because it contains quite a few elements and known progressions from before, but this damn Starblind is really new. Apart from VXI-alike intro, everything else is new.

The intro is magnificent and sets the mood straight. Lyrics are pure poetry. Layers of guitars and the counter-beat providing perfect soundtrack to Bruce's narration of wasted human potential. Adrian doing all the sublime licks behind the verses. Solo section is somewhat similar to IOA's one, and when you think that Maiden are going to follow the usual song flow, in comes the magnificent TA-DA riff, proceeding again into spacey synths. Then comes the intro stuff again, all right, so it's the standard flow, but no - Adrian again surprises with his clean mini-solo, reminiscent of Tears Of The Dragon performances, blasting into main verse with that drowning descending riff. And now we even have one more layer of "pick" guitar that refreshes the sound again. And that big awesome Nicko drum fill. I also love how the lyrics tell about what we can do if we drop all the ancient beliefs and dogmas, in first part, then on final verses we are warned that our time is short and that we cannot relive our lives again.

I do have negative remarks - Adrian's main solo, it's too experimental and i think that something highly melodic would fit better. Production cripples it even further, where his lower notes get muffled up.
Even with that, this song is among their best work, if not their best work. Anything else than 10 would be a blasphemy.

Back