Songs that you didn't "get" until seeing them live

Id say most of the Blaze material that was performed live with Bruce, the Clansman as performed at Rock in Rio is one of my all time Maiden favorites.  Bruce really does seem to put more feeling into the songs. 

infinitedreams7thson said:
Id say most of the Blaze material that was performed live with Bruce, the Clansman as performed at Rock in Rio is one of my all time Maiden favorites.  Bruce really does seem to put more feeling into the songs. 

Agreed.  I mentioned this in another thread, but Lord Of The Flies with Bruce is my favorite song on DOTR, even over Paschendale.

Very true.  I have to say my song of choice would be Sign of the Cross.  Blaze's voice just doesn't compare to Bruce.  When I hear Blaze sing, I can't help but imagine how great it would be, the same song except with Bruce as singer.

Except for Futureal.  I feel like I have to stress how shitty a job Bruce did on that song.

I couldn't agree anymore, Bruce doesn't have the emotion Blaze delivered in that song. When Bruce performs that song, it sounds like he is talking the whole way through, sustaining certain notes every once in a while.

I've said this in many other threads before, but I prefer each vocalist to their own work with the band. I never really liked Bruce covering songs from the "Di'Anno" or "Blaze" eras. But that's just me personally.

I agree to an extent.  Bruce did good on Phantom and Murders in the Rue Morgue, but completely botches Prowler and Wrathchild.  Its a shame.

Bruce can do some Blaze songs VERY well, and some he should just never touch. His voice, as godly as it is, lacks the deeper richness required for Como Estais Amigos for example.

As far as the topic goes, definitely No More Lies. Coming out of the first chorus into the next verse is just so hard-hitting live. I love it.

Definitely among my favorites in the "repeat the title of the song a bunch of times and boom it's a chorus" sub-genre.

Prowler_108 said:
I agree to an extent.  Bruce did good on Phantom and Murders in the Rue Morgue, but completely botches Prowler and Wrathchild.  Its a shame.

To me, each singer, Paul, Blaze, and Bruce, have a unique "edge" of there own that cannot be recreated live by another one of those singers. Paul has his raspy, angry voice, Bruce has his operatic style that can't be matched, and Blaze has his low, yet full of emotion and anger voice.

Cap Maronis said:
Bruce can do some Blaze songs VERY well, and some he should just never touch. His voice, as godly as it is, lacks the deeper richness required for Como Estais Amigos for example.

As far as the topic goes, definitely No More Lies. Coming out of the first chorus into the next verse is just so hard-hitting live. I love it.

Definitely among my favorites in the "repeat the title of the song a bunch of times and boom it's a chorus" sub-genre.

Hmmm, now that you mention it, I'd LOVE to hear Bruce sing "Como Estais" in the same higher octave like he did Lord of the Flies.  That would be great!

Speaking of Lord of the Flies, that song sounds 100 times better live, as great of a studio song it is. I didn't see it in concert, but I've seen videos of it.

chaosapiant said:
Hmmm, now that you mention it, I'd LOVE to hear Bruce sing "Como Estais" in the same higher octave like he did Lord of the Flies.  That would be great!

Huh. Y'know I never even considered that.

But yes, I'm going to echo Lord of the Flies praise whenever/wherever I go.

There's no reason that song can't be in the setlist, it's short, it's sweet, and it rocks.

I love the shorter dark songs from the blaze era so much, they're a unique addition to the catalogue.

True, although I believe that some songs off Virtual XI would be well suited to Bruce's voice (Lightning Strikes Twice as the prime example).

Well Virtual XI definitely suits Bruce more than the X Factor overall, imo, it just has more room to push higher octaves in there.

chaosapiant said:
Agreed.  I mentioned this in another thread, but Lord Of The Flies with Bruce is my favorite song on DOTR, even over Paschendale.

I had completely forgotten about that gem.  I just bought my own copy of the DOTR dvd today (been watching my dads copy to this point) so I will definitely be watchin that later.

Flight of Icarus. Not that I didn't "get" it. I mean we all know the story but I just think it sounds sooo much better live and at Rock In Rio '85 it's astounding.

Hammersmith '84 or Rock In Rio '85 should've been the offcial full Live After Death album and VHS, then DVD.

Jeffmetal said:
Hammersmith '84 or Rock In Rio '85 should've been the offcial full Live After Death album and VHS, then DVD.

Yeah without a doubt, I still really adore LAD but when you hear the difference in Bruce's voice it's a little frustrating.

WRATHCHILD!!!!!

This is a song that for some reason I didn't appreciate almost at all while I was still listening only to the studio version. Then came RiR... and the rest is history. Since then of course I enjoy and appreciate the studio version as much as the live ones. It turned to be one of my favorite songs by the band! I can't imagine a live show without it!

And to tell you the truth, when I saw them two days ago in Bergen, Brucie gave all of himself into the scream in the middle of the song, which in my opinion can make the song into a great number played live or if he can't manage to get it right (which sometimes happen, you know, he's a human. Well, a human-god.) can turn it into a total turn off. So, you can say I was more than pleased, so to speak :)

I beg to differ. It's not that absolute. Say, The Clansman, for example, is a good example for Bruce performing better and conveying the song's energy to the crowd live. And I also think that the studio version of SOTC is way better than live with Brucie.

Back