• Nickleback

Votes: 1 33.3%
  • Kid Rock

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Elton John

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Albie

Keeping an open eye on the Weeping Angels.
So, there I was searching for a Flotsam & Jetsam video on youtube and found their cover of Saturday nights all right. And the related videos found a whole host of other bands that have covered this track, so who does the best one?

Here are the contenders:

Flotsam & Jetsam

The Who

Queen

Nickleback

Kid Rock

Or even, Elton John - after all it's his song.

Personally, I would rate Flotsam & Jetsam above them all - but The Who's effort runs them a close second (if only for that classic Who intro).

I have always like the Nickleback version the best, hence my pick.  I think that Kid Rock sings the second verse on that version, but I could be mistaken.  The Who's was pretty cool also, and I'm going to have to listen to the Flotsam & Jetsam version again-- it was good, but not my favorite.

Checking them all out now. I'll rank from worst to best...

Queen - didn't really cover the song, just jammed on the riff for a bit. Doesn't count, as far as I'm concerned.

Flotsam - too heavy for this song. The guitars are too distorted - the melody can barely be heard.
Grade: D

Kid Rock - so close to the original that it sounded like a bar band. Not very exciting.
I admit he was doing it at an Elton John tribute, so that was probably appropriate for the occasion.
Grade: B

Nickelback - surprisingly good. Kid Rock sounds much better on this one. Close to the original, but with a few twists of their own.
A YouTube comment said Dimebag did the guitar on that track ... is that correct?
Grade: A-

The Who - easily the clear winners. Did the best job of making it their own. Loved the nod to "Take Me To The Pilot".
Grade: A+

SinisterMinisterX said:
Queen - didn't really cover the song, just jammed on the riff for a bit. Doesn't count, as far as I'm concerned.

IIRC, they did cover it in its entirety on the Works Tour.

Perhaps, but I was only going by the videos that Albie linked to.

Just noticed I forgot to grade the Elton John original. I'd put it about equal to the Nickelback cover - an A-. They're both good, but Elton's would appeal to a more mainstream taste while Nickelback's version is better for hard rock fans like me.

Unfortunately, I could not find more than 2 1/2 mins of Queen doing that track.

I must say though, the more I hear The Who's cover, the more I like it. Still not as good as Flotsam & Jetsam - IMHO.

Back