Satellite 15 . . . The Final Frontier: Video Impressions Here

mozzle said:
It's in the middle. It's  bittersweet. I think going to either extreme, may run the risk of appearing to be emotionless and cold hearted if you take the feel good approach, or negative and depressed. If you take  the other extreme, like I first did.

I'm definitely not saying it is a happy-go-lucky song; I'm just saying that we need to remember these sorts of people appropriately. We shouldn't get depressed by the thought of dying in the pursuit of adventure and knowledge, but we should have a solemn set of mind about it. And it's a reminder that the people who died were ready to do so.

In regards to the lyrics on the second verse after:
If I could survive
To live one more time
I wouldn’t be changing a thing at all

I can hear:
Do more in my life
Than some do in ten

Rather than:
To mourn my life
:)

First impressions only-

Video is definitely better than Different World, not even in the same universe actually.  I found the Indian Jones reference surprising but humorous.

As for the single itself, it is definitely a distraction having to wade through the sound effects and will require further listens to get the full effect, BUT first impression is that it is okay.  Close to Wildest Dreams of Different World but no where close to Wickerman. 

I preferred Breeg much more than Different World and this is very similar, thus far I much prefer El Dorado over FF.

I also feel the song is bittersweet; it has a triumphant vibe for the guy's on an incredible adventure and whatever he may have diiscovered he won't be able to celebrate with his loved ones. I felt it on the teaser already. I think I like it more than Wildest Dreams and Different World, already. The more I listen and think about the song (and El Dorado, too, but this is much more familiar, already), the better it sounds. Dave's solo is great, the fluidity of his licks in it are awesome. I still need to judge it by listening without the sound effects, it's burying the song's spirit.

Intro dialogue and lyrics someone made up on IMOC (thanx whoever wrote it down):

The Final Frontier (Smith/Harris)

-Cleaner 6, this is control. What the hell happened?

-Tell me this job is nearly over...
Control, this is Cleaner 6. I had something to put to bed back there. It is now nicely wrapped in a napalm blanket...but, I got the key.

-Cleaner 6 request an ETA for touchdown on Final Frontier.
-About to make planet fall, locate the relic, and I'll serve up the ashes of that wart of a planet...

-Proximity warning!
-Eddie! What took you so long? Taking evasive action. Over and out.

I'm stranded in space, I'm lost without trace
I haven't this chance of getting away
Too close to the sun and surely will burn
Like Icarus before me or so legend goes

I'm taking my life, reliving the past
There's nothing but wait til' my time comes
I've had a good life, I'd do it again
Maybe I'll come back some time, my friends

For I have lived my life to the full, I have no regrets
But I wish I could talk to my family to tell them one last goodbye

The final frontier, the final frontier!!

If I could survive to live one more time, I wouldn't be changing a thing at all
Do more in my life than some do in ten - I'd go back and do it all over again

For I have lived my life to the full, I have no regrets
But I wish I could talk to my family and tell them that one last goodbye

Solo (Smith/Murray)

There isn't much time, must say my last rites - Nobody is here to read them to me
Must say my goodbyes, if only a line - A message to tell them in case they might find

But I have filled my life to the full, I have no regrets
But I wish I could talk to my family to tell them that one last goodbye

Ah, ah! The final frontier, the final frontier!!

I really miss the free Maiden forum...does anyone know if it will be up again?

Anyways, straight to the point, I really like this edited version of TFF, the riff is quite catchy (I don't think it resembles that much with the one in the Priest's cover of Green Manilishi though) and the solos are amazing.

All in all, judging by the posts on various sites, it seems that people's views over are quite mixed. 

The more I listen [day 2 of non stop FF] the more I am noticing the solos.  The Murray part is spectacular.  It has the depth of the solo parts in piece and NOTB.  The song will become a classic, and I'm sure without the friggin background crap, will be amazing.  Jeff you got the right lyrics there:" Done more in my life than some do in ten"...profound.
    As for FF being upbeat or morbid:  It is both.  I think the clear bright" Have no regrets, lived life to the full" is inspirational, while the entire" lost and sure to burn" side is pure dark Maiden at there best.  The line about "talk to my family" is getting poor marks by some.  But it is a reminder of These colors don't run, and also fits the pattern of 'lost in space classics;' Major Tom,&  Bowies' Space Odyssey'. 

I think the repitition isn't too bad, but bringing up the volume of Adrian's solos over the end wouldn't hurt.\

I think an Indiana Jones reference is way too cliched to use anymore, but the rest of the video was great. This CGI Eddie is better than the previous ones but still not excellent. Thankfully, he stays in the shadows more or less.

As for the "live your life to the full" stuff, yeah it's getting annoying but this isn't strictly following the theme at the very least.

People love to tag everything. Where does Different World talks about lving life to the full? Did these people really read and know the lyrics? The only lyrics that talk about it is Wildest Dreams.

Thanks for the lyrics Jeff, I put them in the first post. I think some things are still a little off, but we're a lot closer to getting them right.

After driving home from the MSG show on Monday evening this video and new song was a great surprise - El Dorado is definitely a grower, but this album opener was in full swing from the moment it blasted through my speakers!

The pre-chorus and solos are the highlight of this song for me - although the lyrics are definitely in the Wildest Dreams style, I appreciate the twist of certain death heading the way of the listener. It feels almost as though the crash ending to the song coincides with the death of the character - going fantastically well with the crash opening of El Dorado - almost as if resurrecting the listener back to the rest of the album.

Oh yeah... First post! :edmetal:

mozzle said:
Thanks for the lyrics Jeff, I put them in the first post. I think some things are still a little off, but we're a lot closer to getting them right.

No prob, man. It's still difficult to get the dubious words. Guess we'll have to wait 'til August.

i bet maiden wont print thier lyrics just to piss us off

Jeffmetal said:
People love to tag everything. Where does Different World talks about lving life to the full? Did these people really read and know the lyrics? The only lyrics that talk about it is Wildest Dreams.

I would like you to know
When you see the simple things
To appreciate this life
It's not to late to learn

After about 30 listens i have came to the conclusion that this song is fucking epic. I could imagine them opening with it on the next tour. They could start with the satellite 15 instumental and then burst out onto stage when the final frontier starts.

Bloody chorus though.  I mean I love the pre-chorus, I love the verse, I love the Solo's. I love everything in this song but the chorus. It's the one thing that keeps this song from being brilliant. As of now it's a solid 4 out of 5. 

Isn't it funny how expectation can cloud your view of new material. I guess many of us were expecting an epicy style
opener and my initial reaction was  :S  But now that I have accepted the style of the song, ie, short, simple rocker that follows the instrumental opener
Satellite 15, I am really enjoying it.

Can't wait to hear the unedited version as it does feel edited.

Ranko said:
I would like you to know
When you see the simple things
To appreciate this life
It's not to late to learn

This song is about different points of view. It's about chosing what you want, but respecting the choices others do. It has nothing to do with taking your car and thundering down the highway. The title of the song is enough to tell what the song's about.

Babo 91 said:
Hopefully the video will be played on tv soon.
            im thinking it will be on the metal mania block on vh1 classic soon maybe on saturday after tms thats when they usualy premier videos

Back