Sanctuary

2Mins

Educated Fool
Here's one that's been nagging at me for a while, and I wondered if the fine minds at Maidenfans could come up with the answer:

When did the "gallop" bit of Sanctuary first turn up (you know, 4.01 on the RiR disc 2 version)? I don't have the single, but the version on the CD issue of the first album doesn't have it. By the World Piece Tour they were galloping. So folks, enlighten me!

The earliest recording I can think of that has it is Beast Over Hammersmith, recorded in 1982. Really awesome live album btw, second only to Rock in Rio I think. Definitely check it out if you haven't already.

The earliest I could find in my bootleg collection is 10.10.1980 in Gothenburg. The closest performance I have before that (04.02.1980 in Wakefield) does not yet have this passage.

And since we're talking about this, is it only me or is this section a carbon copy of the intro to Keep Yourself Alive by Queen?

Fantastic! Narrowed down to sometime between 4th Feb and 10th Oct 1980, brilliant stuff @Perun!

And, yes, whilst the gallop riff is not quite the same as Keep Yourself Alive, the solo twiddle over the top makes the whole section so close to it that it seems likely Maiden were either playing a deliberate homage or they were subconsciously influenced.

I wonder who started that bit, and why?

Did the track have that recently? They just stopped playing suddenly, let Bruce have a talk and then jump right back into "so give me Sanctuary from the law".

Or did I blank out on Saturday night?

Great question there, 2 mins. Great answer Perun. Strange I have never considered that before. It works well live, so a good addition to a good song. Thanks for the info guys.

Back