Rush Discography Discussion 2: Caress of Steel (1975)

Was it Middletown Dreams? I remember someone really advocating for it last survivor.

I think the synth era comes off better than other material live these days, mostly because of vocals. I love songs like Spirit Of Radio, but recent performances don't sound good. Songs like The Pass and Marathon, however, still sound awesome.

Limelight?
No. I didn't get Bravado either, which is another of my faves that they have apparently been plugging in.

I got ( if memory serves)
Subdivisions
Big Money
Force 10
Grand Designs
Middletown Dreams
Territories
Analog Kid
The Pass
Wheres My Thing?
Far Cry

Break

Caravan
Clockwork Angels
The Anarchist
Carnies
The Wreckers
Headlong Flight
Halo Effect
Wish Them Well
The Garden
Dreamline
Red sector A
YYZ
Spirit of Radio

Encore:
Tom Sawyer
Overture
Temple of Syrinx
Grand Finale

I think I would have been happier with all the synth era stuff if had also seen them on the previous tour.
The only other time I saw them was during Presto, which was also heavy on that material.
In fact I believe I have seen every Power Windows tune live except Emotion Detector.

I'm not complaining. Liked the material, loved the show. Just would have preferred a few different selections.

Was it Middletown Dreams? I remember someone really advocating for it last survivor.

I think the synth era comes off better than other material live these days, mostly because of vocals. I love songs like Spirit Of Radio, but recent performances don't sound good. Songs like The Pass and Marathon, however, still sound awesome.
Yes Middletown Dreams. I am afraid it got a Paschendale treatment in Europe.

That's a great point on Geddy's voice.
Definitely better suited to stuff like Middletown these days.

Ah, I know how you feel then. I saw Maiden toward the beginning of TFF tour, when Pasch was still on rotation. Still bitter about getting DoD instead. :p

After giving it some thought, I think I'd be happy with any Rush setlist. As long as they didn't do something like play an entire album that I don't like (pretty much impossible). Even if it was a set focused on stuff from the 90's and later only, it'd be okay since there is still a bunch of great material to choose from.

Amsterdam compared to your gig, mckindig: Limelight and Bravado were played instead of Middletown Dreams and The Pass. So I think you'd be a bit happier with that. :)

I'd take MD and The Pass over Limelight and Bravado for sure. In a live setting, that is. Middletown Dreams should've been played in every city IMO.

Here's what I got in Halifax:

Subdivisions
The Big Money
Force Ten
Grand Designs
Limelight
Territories
The Analog Kid
The Pass
Where's My Thing
Far Cry
---
Caravan
Clockwork Angels
The Anarchist
Carnies
The Wreckers
Headlong Flight
Halo Effect
Wish Them Well
The Garden
Dreamline
Red Sector A
YYZ
Spirit of Radio
--
Tom Sawyer
2112 pts 1, 2, 7.

I thought the band looked great and sounded great, but I don't really check it out comparatively.

I'm surprised they didn't do more Signals material; it turned 30 last year and was represented on the program. They really missed out on doing Losing It with the string section. Could've had one of them do the electric violin playing.

Grace Under Pressure is one of my favourite albums. Just some really strong, consistent, varied songwriting happening there.
It's one of those albums I play through regularly, but I will also pop any single track into rotation as well.
I did — and do — miss Terry Brown though. IMO, there is not a better sound in music than Terry Brown's Rush.

Rush kind of started to lose me with Grace Under Pressure. There are some good songs on the album, but I disagree that the songwriting is consistently strong. Too many songs where they abandon melody in favor of mood. Plus, the songs kind of sound the same. No time for a detailed analysis, suffice it to say that Rush is a better rock band than pop band.

Until CA came out last year and blew me away, Grace Under Pressure was what I considered to be the last great Rush album. Power Windows comes close, but has a lot of material I don't particularly like, but more on that later. Anyway, P/G is the best of the synth era and a top 5 record for me. It has a really unique sound and I think it has the perfect balance of synth and guitar.

Distant Early Warning is a top ten Rush track. Highly disagree with Foro's comments. Especially when saying that the mood doesn't fit the lyrics. The guitar has this cold, distant feel to it, the keyboards giving it a dramatic texture. The chords under the chorus are very minor and the melody is sad, don't let the upbeat tempo fool you. Shifting meters in the main keyboard melody are also pretty cool. Nice to see that even with a more poppy sound, the prog roots are not completely gone.

Afterimage is another great track, maybe even top ten as well. Probably my favorite lyric on the album as well. Very poignant, to the point but with the classic Peart touch. This is one that they really need to bring back live, sometimes I feel that it doesn't get the attention that it deserves. It was also eliminated way too early in last year's survivor. Very atmospheric middle section too, with some melancholy guitar playing.

Red Sector A is another awesome song, though I don't hold it in the high regard that others do. Made top ten of the last few survivors but it wouldn't make mine. That said, it's still a cool song. The melody in between stanzas is one of their best, the chorus has a very driving feel to it that fits the lyrics. Something I've noticed about this album is that the music compliments the lyrics especially well.

The Enemy Within is my favorite of the Fear series. Very Police sounding, some great bass playing, which is nice to hear on an album where the bass is somewhat forgotten. I really like the synth melodies after the chorus too.

The Body Electric is another great one, really cool bass stuff on the intro. I also like Alex's chord voicing. The rhythm of the chorus is very cool too, the synthesizer used helps support the electronic theme. It almost has a Morse Code esque rhythm going on. Another song that would be really cool to see live again.

Kid Gloves is where the album starts to take a dive. This might be the only time in Rush's history where I don't like an odd time signature. The 5/4 almost sounds forced, plus that riff repeats itself way too many times. The chorus is a redeeming quality, which happens to be in 4/4. I'm obviously all for odd time signatures, but it just doesn't work here. It's like they wrote that riff and decided to add an extra note to it just so they could have an odd meter on the album. In fact, that riff comes back for the last chorus in 4/4. The whole song should've just been done that way. Though I don't think it would've given the song more points from me.

Red Lenses is the worst song IMO, one of those completely forgettable tracks. Just sounds like filler to me, not much to add. Kinda similar to Lessons from 2112 in that there's nothing inherently wrong with it, but it's completely unremarkable.

After a lull in awesome with Kid Gloves and Red Lenses, the album picks back up for a final ace track. I absolutely love Between The Wheels, another favorite of mine. Lots of tension in the keyboard offbeats, very great chorus. Some really cool guitar chords too. This song also contains a favorite chorus for me, melodically a predecessor to some of the best moments on the next album. An awesome way to end this great album.

Nice read on DEW, Mosh. Very much agree.
It's usually fun to disagree with Foro, but I also usually see where he's coming from.
I don't get his take on this track at all. It's far from monotone and repetitive; on the contrary it is varied and dramatic. There is a great undertone of panic that perfectly suits its (great) lyric.
I won't go on because I already did on the survivor thread.
I'll simply say it is the best song on the album and one of the band's top five tracks.

It's far from monotone and repetitive;
This is something that can be measured objectively. A matter of counting different (unique) parts and see how long they are / how often they are repeated.

Monotone... we could see which chords are used / how many.

Chord voicings on this song are much more unique than your standard rock song, which mostly uses power chords. The main chord progression is this:
Am11
Csus2
Gsus2

The keyboard thing after the intro is this:
Dsus4
D/A
Am
x4
Fmaj
Gmaj
x4

Definitely not monotone. If it was there'd only be one chord one note.

I made an attempt identifying the individual parts in the Distant Early Warning:

I admit there are some variations within these parts, but essentially the chord schemes stay the same.

Part 1 (couplets, without and with vocals)
Part 2 siren 1
Part 3 siren 2 different modus
Part 4 (chorus)
Part 5 (1st instrumental part, right after 2nd chorus: ta ta dadada)
Part 6 (2nd instrumental part, right before round of sirens start again)

The chords stay the same yes, but that's standard for that sort of music. I wouldn't be surprised if most of the songs on this album only have one or two different chord progressions.

The cool thing about DEW is that while the root tones stay the same, the chord voicings change quite often. For example, in the "red alert" stanza, it changes to
Am11
Csus2
G9
Dm7
Am7
Am11
Gmaj
Gsus4
Gmaj
Am11

So even if the chords are the same, there's a lot of variation and color within those chords.

And even in its repetitions, it's layered - the drum part may repeat, but the guitar brings in something different to play off that. Then the guitar part may repeat, but the bass or keyboard will run in a different direction.
Monotone and repetitive is a valid criticism of Highway to Hell, not Distant Early Warning.

(Red alert, Red alert: Fugitive on the loose. Perun is unlocking his medal cupboard.)

Back