Revenge of the silly polls! Best song starting with a vowel?

What is the best song whose title begins with a vowel?

• Iron Maiden

Votes: 1 3.6%
  • Another Life

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Innocent Exile

• Invaders

• Aces High

Votes: 7 25.0%
  • Alexander The Great

Votes: 8 28.6%
  • Only The Good Die Young

Votes: 2 7.1%
  • Afraid To Shoot Strangers

Votes: 1 3.6%
  • Out Of The Silent Planet

Votes: 5 17.9%
  • Out Of The Shadows

Votes: 4 14.3%

• Total voters

SinisterMinisterX

Illuminatus
Staff member
As usual, explain your vote.

A tough choice. ATG and ATSS are both great, but I have to go with Out Of The Silent Planet. The others have superb moments, but OOTSP is superb from start to finish.

Bonus round:
Your favorite song that starts with a vowel by a different band.
Mine: "A Change Of Seasons" by Dream Theater.

A really short list. That's because you keep "The" and "A" in the beginning.
Normally these words (articles?) don't count.

e.g.

Educated Fool, The (instead of "The Educated Fool)   or
Evil That Men Do, The (instead of "The Evil That Men Do)

(Sorry, I work in a library. :p)
But I can imagine the poll might be too big when we change all this. Besides, it's not my poll!
:)

I'll go for Alexander The Great. The intro and the following build-up is unsurpassed. There are many more aspects that I like about this song. The solos, the unusual rhythm in the midpiece beneath Adrían's solos.
Hell I am not even going to be nerdy about the lyrics. They are good enough to see Alexander's army climbing over the hill, preparing another assault.

ATSS, OTGDY I find worthy competitors and Aces High would probably end 4th.

The bonus round is terribly difficult! I guess the thing to do is to look at all your favorite bands and choose one song per band. And then choose which one is the best.

A tough choice, but I think I'll go with Out of the Silent Planet, with Out of the Shadows a very close second.

Bonus: Really tough one. Right now, I'm tied between Eyes of a Stranger by Queensryche and Angel Witch by Angel Witch, but I'm sure there's more than that.

Alexander the Great.  Some of Maiden's best melodies and atmosphere, ever.  With better lyrics, it would almost rival Paschendale and the like.  Well, not quite, but almost.

Bonus: The first one that jumped to my head was Slayer's Angel of Death, but looking through my library quickly, I found Metallica's Orion and ...And Justice for all (does it start with . or A?) and Primordial's As Rome Burns and Empire Falls.  I'll discout ...And Justice for All on the grounds of its first character being "." to make it easier, so I'll go with As Rome Burns for the same reasons as Alexander: awesome melodies and atmosphere.

Forostar said:
A really short list. That's because you keep "The" and "A" in the beginning.
Normally these words (articles?) don't count.

e.g.

Educated Fool, The (instead of "The Educated Fool)   or
Evil That Men Do, The (instead of "The Evil That Men Do)

(Sorry, I work in a library. :p)

Don't be sorry - working in a library sounds pretty cool. :bigsmile:

Yes, I keep "the" and "a" at the beginning. My point of view is: that's how the artist named the song and I'm not going to change that. I know it's technically incorrect, but I don't really care.

That's the beauty of silly polls - the criteria for listing songs is entirely stupid in the first place, so who cares if a mistake gets made?  :bigsmile:

Iron Maiden- Punky and Raw, just how i like it ;)

As for Bonus-

Ivan Meets G.I Joe by The Clash- awesome Discoesque song, sung by the best drummer in rock, ever, Topper Headon!

... walking on water, are miracles all you can trust?
Measure your coffin, does it measure up to your lust?

Only The Good Die Young beats Alexander on the lyrics - musically they both belong on the top shelf.

Alexander comes 2nd with Aces High in 3rd.

Bonus track; Well, here I go for one of the greatest rock/metal tunes ever. Electric Eye  :D

Out of the Shadows wins this one, with Out of the Silent Planet a close second. I really love the guitar solo work done on the former song and while Out of the Silent Planet has a really great tune and fabulous riffs, the feel of Out of the Shadows is fresher (probably because it IS newer).

Bonus:

Empire Falls by Primordial.

Out of the Silent Planet - the gallop, why else?

Bonus: well this is easy - Angel of Death by Slayer (closely followed by I am Immortal by Mortal Sin).

Aces HIIIIIIIGGGHHH.

Bonus: Tough, but right now, I'll go with Eyes of a Stranger by Queensryche, Unchain the Night by Dokken, and Angel by Judas Priest.

Aces High and then Only The Good Die Young followed by Afraid to Shoot Strangers. Others I don't particularly adore.

Oh, you missed Infinite Dreams and Age of Innocence.

And if we're gonna use Forostar's Librarian Logic(TM), there are several more songs: Evil That Men Do (The), Apparition (The), Aftermath (The), Edge of Darkness (The), Unbeliever (The), Angel and the Gambler (The), Educated Fool (The). :D

As for the non-Maiden song, I'm gonna go with Is This Love by Whitesnake. :D

I will go with Shadows. I love the two solos in that song.
Bonus round:
...And Justice for All by Metallica.

Back