Re-Release(?) of Death on The Road DVD - 1/30/07

Cornfed Hick

Ancient Mariner
Apologies if this belongs with (or was already covered in) an earlier thread.  According to Netflix.com, BestBuy.com and Amazon.com, apparently there is a scheduled January 30, 2007 3-disc "release" of the Death on the Road DVD in the U.S.  Presumably this will fix the problems -- documented on this bulletin board -- with the earlier release, but there is no official announcement on Iron Maiden's website. 

Maiden have handled this whole thing unprofessionaly. They're just pretending nothing has happened just to sweep it under the carpet and do some damage control. It did make them stop to think if issuing a live release every 2 years is a good idea though...

What I am wondering is whether they will re-release it in Europe as well at some point. Although thats covered in another thread so...*end of rant*

Confirmed Re-Release of Death on The Road DVD - 1/30/07 (U.S.A.)

I received the DVD from Amazon this morning.  It is copyrighted 2006, so it does appear to be a reissue.  It is encoded NTSC, region 0 -- I think that means it should work on all DVD players worldwide.  [EDIT: NTSC generally means North America and Japan, as well as a handful of other countries; Region 0 theoretically means it should work worldwide, but only if your player supports NTSC.  So, I really have no idea whether this will work on European DVD players.  It might not.] 

I popped  both the 5.1 and stereo discs in my PC's DVD player and both appeared to work fine -- I specifically checked Paschendale, based on specific complaints about that track -- though I haven't played each disc straight through yet, nor have I tried it on my home DVD player (from prior threads, it appears that home DVD players were the bigger problem). 

The staccato video editing about which people have complained has not been changed -- but that was an artistic decision, not a technical glitch. 

I'll be interested to see if this shows up on the official website, either as a press release or, at a minimum, by listing this product among the "Videos" released by the band (currently the DotR DVD is not listed). 

Thanks for the info cornfed, and you're right THEORETICLY Region 0 plays anywhere. I have DVD region zero which again should play all over the world, but it doesn't specify anything further. My Therion DVD however specifies it is configured for all Regions and it is also NTCS and PAL....

Re: Confirmed Re-Release of Death on The Road DVD - 1/30/07 (U.S.A.)

cornfedhick said:
The staccato video editing about which people have complained has not been changed -- but that was an artistic decision, not a technical glitch. 

The majority of the complaints were not about artistic things, but about technical problems.
The image got stuck and this was definitely not the original idea !

Unfortunately you haven't seen the first edition, so now we STILL don't know what has changed (or not).

The original copyright year for the US edition was 2006. if something is different, it will be only the ISBN from the looks of things

gor said:
The original copyright year for the US edition was 2006. if something is different, it will be only the ISBN from the looks of things

Hi Gor  ;)-remeber Milan?
My copy of first-printed DVD (stereo disc - glitches starts from middle of brave new world) doesn't work only on my home DVD player.
During BNW's solos the video starts to move slower, just like it has only 10 fps (it looks like new game played on old computer - so called slideshow :))
cornfedhick - may you check you copy of stereo disc (from brave new world song)?

I noticed on play.com that there are two versions of this listed - standard packaging and deluxe packaging. Hmm...

went to the record store today, under their new releases they listed "Iron Maiden" when I asked what cd was it the dude at the counter simply said, "Um, it's actually a dvd, uh don't really know" but that was enough to figure out he probably meant the revised version of death on the road.

IRON MAIDEN: 'Death On The Road' DVD Theater Screenings Announced - Feb. 8, 2007 

IRON MAIDEN's new live DVD, "Death on the Road", captured live during their 2003 "Dance of Death Tour" and filmed at the Westenfalenhalle Arena, Dortmund, Germany, will debut on the big screen on February 21, 2007.

This special one-night-only event will take place in eight cities across America and be presented in Dolby 5.1 Surround Sound. The event features 120 minutes of classic MAIDEN tracks, including "The Number of the Beast", "Run to The Hills", "Wrathchild" and many more. In addition, fans attending the show will see exclusive footage of MAIDEN performing "Where Eagles Dare" and "Phantom of the Opera" from their blistering 2005 show at Reading Festival.

Says Steve Harris, "We realize that the fans have been made to wait a little longer than planned for the DVD to come out but as they know — we won't settle for anything but the best and the extra time and effort spent in the final production of this DVD should be apparent. I can safely say that when people see songs like 'Paschendale' and 'Dance of Death' their jaws will hit the floor as mine did when I saw the final product on my TV at home. With visuals like this and the show played in 5.1 on a decent system it's just like being in the front rows of the show."

The "Death on the Road" DVD releases in the U.S. on February 21 and includes a three-disc set that features over three hours of documentary footage shot by the band, full-length concert, music videos, photo galleries, and a stereo mix as well as 5.1 sound by Kevin "Caveman" Shirley.

"Death on the Road" DVD will be screened at the following theaters:

1. Brooklyn
Theatre: Pavilion, 188 Prospect Park West
Tel: 718-369-0836

2. Boston
Theatre: Kendal Square Cinema, One Kendall Sq. Bld 1900
Tel: 617-621-1202

3. Chicago
Theatre: Century Centre Cinema, 2828 N. Clark St Century Shopping Center
Tel: 773-248-7759

4. Detroit
Theatre: Emagine Canton, 39535 Ford Rd.
Tel: 734-721-3456

5. El Paso
Theatre: Carmike 16, 9840 Gateway Blvd.
Tel: 915-751-5613

6. Los Angeles
Theatre: Westside Pavilion Cinema, 10800 Pico Blvd.
Tel: 310-475-0408

7. Phoenix
Theatre: Harkins, Arizona Mills 24, 5000 Arizona Mills Circle, Tempe
Tel: 480-820-0387

8. San Diego
Theatre: Ultrastar Theatres Mission Valley, 7510 Hazard Center Drive
Tel: 619-574-8684

For more information, click here.  --> http://www.dandeentertainment.com/iron_maiden.html

Back