Queensryche Survivor 2014: Results. The Winner was quite obvious...

Are you satisfied with the results?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I don't think there's any other artist where I find their best two songs clearly better than the others. These are Queen of the Reich and Eyes of a Stranger. I'd have to think for ages to think of a third favourite, but the numbers one and two are easy. But then it gets difficult indeed.

Both have different strong points. The first has monumental riffs and rhythm, aggression, energy and awesome vocals. The latter has great atmosphere of its own and that godly guitar solo. I think that the DeGarmo's solo In Eyes of a Stranger is deciding. It's short and simple, but the notes are chosen in such a fantastic way that it is beyond Adrian Smith. Thus:

Queen of the Reich.

.. even though it is one of the best metal songs of all time.

I remember the first time I heard Queen of the Reich.

When I was a teenager, I had a radio that was able to bring in the signal of a Seattle radio station that played a lot of metal, including a weekly Metal Shop program that I listened to religiously.
One night the DJ started talking about this local band that was going to blow our eardrums.
From the opening notes I was mesmerized. I had never heard anything so metal.

Fortunately, I had a trip to Seattle planned shortly after and was able to pick up the limited EP before it hit mass market.
As Foro says, one of the best metal songs of all time.

PS this has really got me nostalgic for those old days of discovering new music over the radio, listening to DJs who loved the music as much as I did.

Last edited:
Top 10:
1. Eyes of a Stranger
2. Queen of the Reich
3. I Don't Believe in Love
4. Jet City Woman
5. Operation Mindcrime
6. Revolution Calling (TIE)
6. Take Hold of the Flame (TIE)
8. Empire
9. The Lady Wore Black
10. Silent Lucidity

Next is the Queensryche Album Survivor. This time I will include all albums.

Back