POTO with Dianno reprise?

BludBrutha

Educated Fool
There is a 7:22 version of Phantom of the Opera on several YouTube channels, it has Paul singing “torture me back at your lair!” after ten seconds of silence at the end.

What is this version, was this officially released on something?

Yeah, it's on the original releases, for sure.

Phantom was the last song on side one of the original vinyl and cassette. The bit you refer to was probably added as a little shock/surprise for those attempting to turn over to side 2 or who were simply lying back in awe going "what the fuck have I just listened to? This is the best band in the world."

It's not on all the original CDs, I think UK vs US used a different cut on pre-remaster CDs. Same case as the song Killers where some versions start with a cymbal hit. Oh, also the assassin is longer on the 1998 remaster vs 1990 original.

Don’t recall it on the 98 remaster. Unless I coughed every time I played it and never noticed it.

Wiki states original album track length is 7:02 and the remaster is 7:08 …

I have the 2015 vinyl remaster and pretty sure it's there on the runout. It's goofy as hell and I've never particularly cared for it. I always try to get up and flip the record before it starts.

It’s the original version as far as I’m concerned.

It' definitely NOT part of the original version. It's not on my vinyl I bought in 1985, and also it hasn't been on my tape (also from 1985).

Maybe the German pressing didn’t have it but mine and all my friends’ vinyls back in 1989 and cassettes from 1988 had it.

Funny that people here could say what song was last played on what tour or what guitar was used on what song or what colour underpants Janick wore last Tuesday but a relatively basic question about one of their most popular songs is bringing up a handful of completely different answers …

This question has been asked before. It's on all original versions (country depending) and remasters except the 1998 remaster.

Similar to Nicko's backwards message on POM. It's missing from some versions.

It' definitely NOT part of the original version. It's not on my vinyl I bought in 1985, and also it hasn't been on my tape (also from 1985).
Looks like you are correct. Here are some notes from the Original UK LP:

“This pressing features the complete version of "Phantom Of The Opera" which is 7:20 in length. This has a short coda/reprise at the end, separated from the rest of the song by a few seconds of silence. Most other vinyl pressings have the shortened version. Only the UK Fame-edition, the Japanese pressing, the Greek pressing and the later released Czech pressings have the full length track too.”

This brings up the question … what other songs could have had a coda tagged onto the end of them?

How about Blaze saying “Doncha think I’m a saviour, don’t you think I could save ya?” one last time …
Yes but it's Nicko saying it backwards.

This brings up the question … what other songs could have had a coda tagged onto the end of them?

How about Blaze saying “Doncha think I’m a saviour, don’t you think I could save ya?” one last time …
Don't Look to the Eyes of a Stranger really could've done with at least one extra "don't look to" at the end. Maybe a handful, even. Bring it up to an even hundred across the entire song.

There is a 7:22 version of Phantom of the Opera on several YouTube channels, it has Paul singing “torture me back at your lair!” after ten seconds of silence at the end.

What is this version, was this officially released on something?
I just asked Dennis Stratton. We'll see what he has to say about. Based on whatever he's going to answer: mystery solved soon.

Back