Poor comparison?

I know that song. I can kind of see the similarities, but it isn't anything blatant.

That song was by Joan Osbourne - not Alanis Morrisette. Not even sure she even covered it but not been a fan of her stuff, I could be wrong. But 100% the track was an Osbourne original.

I'm sure Steve Harris sat down to write WTWWB and said to himself, "today I'm going to rip off that one hit Joan Osbourne had"  ::)

When the Wild Wind Blows always reminded me of the melody in Neck Kershaw's The Riddle....what do you think?

mantzio said:
When the Wild Wind Blows always reminded me of the melody in Neck Kershaw's The Riddle....what do you think?

:bigsmile: I can hear that. What bothers me is when people say "it's a copy" like it's somehow contrived. Saw an interview recently where Dave Mustaine claims he was accused of stealing the Wasted Years riff for Washington is Next which is of course total nonsense.

If anything Wild Wind reminds me mostly of For the Greater Good of God and Blood Brothers.  Very similar melodies and progressions.

Um, no, WTWWB does NOT remind me of another unrelated song that the mentioned artist mentioned did not even sing.  That is too many kinds of irrelevant.

The E - C - G - D progression is in a ****load of Maiden songs, and as well as millions of other peoples songs (maybe different key, but same progression). What if God Was One of Us is one of those millions.

When i first listened to the CD 'publicly' a guy near me said it was ripped of once that part started, he couldnt put his finger on where from but i imagine he meant this    ::)

People will always complain. There’s undoubtedly going to be comparisons with almost anything. The whole ‘copy’ thing is ridiculous!
What I DO like is when bands do it purposely ….. like I believe Eagle by Gamma Ray has a part in the middle that is TOTALLY Maiden. And Kai had said that it was a tribute to Maiden. That’s class!

snake plissken said:
:bigsmile: I can hear that. What bothers me is when people say "it's a copy" like it's somehow contrived. Saw an interview recently where Dave Mustaine claims he was accused of stealing the Wasted Years riff for Washington is Next which is of course total nonsense.

Just to clarify: the song the OP is talking about is actually called "One Of Us", and as Albie noted it's a Joan Osbourne song.

It also has the odd distinction of being the first song ever covered by Prince, in the late 90s, after 20 years of playing nothing but his own music.

snake plissken said:
I'm sure Steve Harris sat down to write WTWWB and said to himself, "today I'm going to rip off that one hit Joan Osbourne had"  ::)

I'm still sure he was directly influenced by Dr Evil, mind control, you know.

I remember when Killing Joke (Eighties) took exception to Nirvana (Come As You Are) using "their riff", but no one bothered to mention that The Damned, (well Capt Sensible) actually recorded a similar first... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Pb8AAEsZAo Similar is the operative word.

Personally I don't give a damn for comparison, music is about listening too. I think it's inevitable that some people are gonna write a similar tunes simply due to the fact that everyone is influenced by someone anyway, but that doesn't mean they're necessarily copying or ripping off. Most of our influences are so subconscious.

I just dug into the chords and checked it out... same progression, different keys. So there is a similarity, but that's all.

It's not like Steve Harris would just lift an entire section from someone else's song, after all. :innocent:

Albie said:
But 100% the track was an Osbourne original.

Actually, it was written for Joan by the guitarist from the Hooters (briefly popular and surprisingly listenable '80s band). 

And, I don't see any similarity to Wild Wind whatsoever. 

Back