Poll OVERKILL alert

Forostar

Ancient Mariner
I don't want to put down anyone's individual poll ideas but am I the only one here who thinks there's a

poll overkill

going on?

This would be no problem if the polls would differ from each other to a certain extent but let me illustrate this example:

Black_ Thunder came up with The Alphabet Battle.
Look what happens within 24 hours?

A "Iron Maiden Daily Head-to-Head Song Battle" poll created by valacirca. It almost looks like he wouldn't have done it if he wouldn't have seen Black_Thunder's topic which also has to do with alphabet.

Firstly, I don't think it's that nice to Black_Thunder to take his recent idea and make a second poll which could take away the attention from it.

Secondly, it's not that different, I at least find it too much for 24 hours.

That's why I ask other people opinions: Isn't this getting out of hand too much?

My own message: I say yes. This is getting ridiculous.
I hope poll openers will look very well at older polls, before they open a new one.

Thanks for your attention, I am curious for your reactions.

My poll has nothing to do with the alphabet. I'm initially going through the songs alphabetically, but I could go through it chronologically or randomly and it wouldn't matter.
BTW... if my poll had anything to do with being alphabetical, you wouldn't see 22 Acacia Avenue pitted against Aces High.

So like I said, the thread I just started has no similarity at all to what Black_Thunder started. His going alphabetically is functional while mine is merely coincidental.

Well, at least you rapidly changed your poll, and now the others can't see what I meant. Probably you thought there was some truth in my complaint.

Look, what's the point of doing this poll at all, at the same time with Black_Thunder's?

By the way, there is also a survival going on which -after all- also decides which songs will be the best. The survival (which is chronological as well) works different, but these things can better be done not at the same time.

It's overkill.

What fallacious logic.

As I clearly stated, I changed the order since apparently it causes confusion as proven by this thread. I never would have thought that someone would say that two games/polls are the same simply by the virtue of both being alphabetical, but hey... I guess crazier things have happened in this world.

The sole basis of your argument was that I was doing mine alphabetically and Black_Thunder was doing his alphabetically as well. The problem is that you failed to see that mine was coincidental and his was functional. His poll is alphabetical because that's exactly the point of his poll: Choosing the best songs that start with each letter of the alphabet. Mine was simply how I chose to order it. This is perfectly proven by the fact that if I change the order of mine (which I did), it doesn't change the mechanics of the game at all. Whereas if Black_Thunder changed the order in his thread to be chronological, it would totally defeat the purpose.

Now that you bring up the survivor thread, are you simply trying to pull a new argument out of the hat since your initial argument was shot down? I love the survivor threads, but they have no relevance to your argument. A survivor game is merely that: Determining the survivor. Will you be able to rank the order of the eliminated songs accurately? No, and you don't have to because that's not the point of a survivor thread. It is the point of mine though. Like I said on the OP of my thread: "At the end of this all, we will hopefully have a definitive ranking of all of the band's songs (from their studio albums) as voted on by maidenfans."

This thread is overkill.

I think I can see where Foro is coming from as I can easily guess how valacira's poll was originally laid out, but I don't think it is overkill. That's the point of best of/worst of is to have polls. Sometimes silly ones. Sometimes decent ones. And sometimes polls that can be deemed as "loosely" based on another - but with a twist.

If it does seem overkill to anyone member, then the easiest thing to do is to not participate.

If the mods feel it's overkill, then...well, it's up to them - as this is not a democracy. :D

I don't think valcarica ripped off my idea. The only thing we have in common is that we both make our lists chronologically. They're completely different games.

^ Thanks Black_Thunder. Although I think you mean alphabetically, since we both had our songs in alphabetical order when I initially created my thread. Again, much thanks.

Black_Thunder said:
The only thing we have in common is that we both make our lists chronologically.

It wasn't originally.

valacirca said:
As I clearly stated, I changed the order since apparently it causes confusion as proven by this thread.

It caused repetition. Thanks for changing. This thread helped to make you realize you should think well about it.

valacirca said:
I never would have thought that someone would say that two games/polls are the same simply by the virtue of both being alphabetical, but hey... I guess crazier things have happened in this world.

There's more in common. It decides which Maiden songs are the best. Common enough for me.

valacirca said:
The sole basis of your argument was that I was doing mine alphabetically and Black_Thunder was doing his alphabetically as well.

Not the sole basis. As stated, I think that everyone should read which polls are going on, and which have been done before (to prevent double topics). Your very original poll (not!) served as an excellent example to come up with this topic, one I wanted to open for some time. What's wrong with new arguments anyway?

valacirca said:
The problem is that you failed to see that mine was coincidental and his was functional. His poll is alphabetical because that's exactly the point of his poll: Choosing the best songs that start with each letter of the alphabet. Mine was simply how I chose to order it.

What is so essential about it?

valacirca said:
This is perfectly proven by the fact that if I change the order of mine (which I did), it doesn't change the mechanics of the game at all.

It changes the repetition, but I still fail to see what's so essential about it.

valacirca said:
Now that you bring up the survivor thread, are you simply trying to pull a new argument out of the hat since your initial argument was shot down?

No no, sometimes I happen to have several arguments but I am careful with my ammunition.

valacirca said:
I love the survivor threads, but they have no relevance to your argument.

Very convincing.

valacirca said:
A survivor game is merely that: Determining the survivor.

Which at the end comes up with a brilliant list of best songs. The ones survived. Same results, different method.

valacirca said:
Will you be able to rank the order of the eliminated songs accurately?

(Depending on what you mean by accurate for your logic): Yes. See first post of Survival threads.

valacirca said:

Yes.

valacirca said:
and you don't have to because that's not the point of a survivor thread.  It is the point of mine though. Like I said on the OP of my thread: "At the end of this all, we will hopefully have a definitive ranking of all of the band's songs (from their studio albums) as voted on by maidenfans."

Who knows.

valacirca said:
^ Thanks Black_Thunder. Although I think you mean alphabetically, since we both had our songs in alphabetical order when I initially created my thread. Again, much thanks.

Yeah, thanks for correcting me. And sorry for misspelling your name wrong. :)

Forostar said:
It wasn't originally.

No problem, I really like val's game. It great as long as we don't have duplicate threads ;).

Please note that the only thing I do chronologically in my game, is list songs on the poll.

I enjoy the polls and participate in most.
From this newb's perspective, there seems to be a lot going on at the moment.
But don't people demonstrate how much they like them by how much they play?

I like polls. I play more of them than the average user. There's just a handful of users who play more polls than I do.

But this is not only about quantity. The originality of a poll is important as well.
And the timing (a factor valacirca is trying to evade).

Forostar said:
And the timing (a factor valacirca is trying to evade).

Evade? :lol: Read my replies above. Everything that needed to be explained has been explained. The fact of the matter is that you made an issue out of a non-issue. Whether or not I created it right after Black_Thunder's game or if I created it months after... it doesn't matter because the threads/games have no similarity. Or at least they have as much similarity as every other thread here has with the other...

The more polls, the better (about Maiden or bands, in general) - they're entertaining and revealing.

When a poll is a repetition, the one who perceives it just leave a message and the link pointing the way to the former thread about the issue or the title of the thread. Very simple. No need to make fuss about.

Forostar said:
It caused repetition.
Repetition of songs/albums is a non-issue. The repetition of mechanics is supposed to be an issue. The mechanics of my thread and BT's thread are totally different; thus, it's a non-issue.

Forostar said:
Thanks for changing. This thread helped to make you realize you should think well about it.
It certainly made me realize that it can confuse people in the way that it confused you. That's why I changed it. It's all for the better.

Forostar said:
There's more in common. It decides which Maiden songs are the best. Common enough for me.
BT's thread doesn't decide which Maiden songs are the best. They decide which Maiden songs per letter are the best. If you have a problem with that, then basically you have a problem with the entire Polls forum since most threads are to decide which Maiden songs in a certain grouping are the best (which albums per track number is the best... which title track is the best... which song in the album is the best... etc etc etc).

Forostar said:
Not the sole basis. As stated, I think that everyone should read which polls are going on, and which have been done before (to prevent double topics). Your very original poll (not!) served as an excellent example to come up with this topic, one I wanted to open for some time. What's wrong with new arguments anyway?
Duly noted. I'm aware of existing threads and know how to use the search. Simply put, my thread hasn't been done before.

Forostar said:
What is so essential about it?

It changes the repetition, but I still fail to see what's so essential about it.
Wow, are you serious? It has everything to do with it. Being alphabetical for BT's thread is the whole point because they decide which Maiden songs per letter are the best. Mine could be done randomly or chronologically. That difference alone should point to the fact that our threads have no exceptional similarity for you to say that they came from the same idea.

Forostar said:
Which at the end comes up with a brilliant list of best songs. The ones survived. Same results, different method.

(Depending on what you mean by accurate for your logic): Yes. See first post of Survival threads.

Yes.

Who knows.
Okay, I'll take note of this ;) Once the surivior for Iron Maiden is done, I'd like to see you create a list of 144 songs ranked from best to worst using (and supported by) the data gathered by the Survivor game.

:)

I seriously think SMX has this data, because he follows the voting in an excel sheet. But indeed, there are no b-sides out there.

Even then, if the purpose is to rank all of the band's songs, the results of the Survivor thread will be skewed since the competition/grouping of songs is not constant for all songs. The Killers songs are grouped with other Killers songs and songs from neighboring albums... while Powerslave songs are grouped with other Powerslave songs and songs from neighboring albums.

A song receiving X number of votes from the Killers group cannot be equated to a song receiving X number of votes from the Powerslave group because the competition they're up against is different.

Although having said that, I know that the purpose of the Survivor game is different, and for its purpose, its mechanics are ideal.

valacirca said:
Even then, if the purpose is to rank all of the band's songs, the results of the Survivor thread will be skewed since the competition/grouping of songs is not constant for all songs. The Killers songs are grouped with other Killers songs and songs from neighboring albums... while Powerslave songs are grouped with other Powerslave songs and songs from neighboring albums.

A song receiving X number of votes from the Killers group cannot be equated to a song receiving X number of votes from the Powerslave group because the competition they're up against is different.

Although having said that, I know that the purpose of the Survivor game is different, and for its purpose, its mechanics are ideal.

I don't see yet how your competition/grouping is constant for all songs. Care to explain (again)? Thanks.

Back