Opeth

By Request, Part 1 - Orchid:

• Total voters
I'm almost sure Mikael uses an English dictionary as he's writing the lyrics. He has fluent English, but some of his word choices are really interesting. Many words I hadn't heard of before listening to Opeth.

It's certainly possible, and I agree with the "words you hadn't heard before" statement. I find most of Opeth's lyrics to be very well-composed.

:yes:
... Åkerfeldt also revealed that he was going to produce the new album himself, explaining: "I love the way Dio's 'Holy Diver' sounds, this early-'80s sound where you can still hear the '70s, but the production is heavier. Right now I'm into having a similar production that isn't retro but it still sounds like real instruments and it's heavier than 'Heritage'."

Me too, Opeth has been on a roll since Ghost Reveries. Sounds like this will be a more focused effort than the last album too, some more metal would be nice.

Thank Barlow it's not Stevie that's producing.
Blackwater Park

I'm psyched for the "epic old-school Opeth song that reminds me of the first two records, with lots of riffs stacked up." I loved the sound (that whole counterpoint thing) on their first two albums, but the production was weak.

The first two albums had some really cool stuff, especially the debut. The production is pretty poor, which is something I really love the performances at Royal Albert Hall.

Me too, Opeth has been on a roll since Ghost Reveries.

I think they've been on a roll ever since they started producing albums. I've come to terms with both My Arms Your Hearse and Deliverance recently, I now like every Opeth album a lot. Morningrise would be my least favorite but still a pretty good album.

I loved Heritage but it'd get dull if the idea of that album was revisited. Good that Mikael is going to try something new.

MAYH is awesome, right up there with the following two albums. Deliverance has good moments but it still sounds like they were kinda stuck in a rut. GR shows them refining their sound quite a bit.

Still Life is my favorite Opeth album. Fantastic throughout and has 3 songs in my Top 10 (Moor, Godhead, Melinda).

GR is my second favorite, very close call between my top three albums. (other being Damnation)

My new list (I typed it without looking at my previous lists):

1. Still Life
2. Blackwater Park
3. Deliverance
4. Damnation
...way down below
5. Ghost Reveries
6. My Arms, Your Hearse
7. Watershed
8. Morningrise
9. Orchid

Back