On pointlessness

A

Anonymous

I am currently doing my civil service (something unique to Germany, I think- it is an alternative to military service) . I chose to do it in an ecological frame as opposed to a social one, although the social one would mean less work in less time with more pay. I also chose to do it in Hamburg, as there are many big ecological projects going on here. This meant leaving my home and my friends, something which sometimes launches me into minor depressions (which I get out of though), like right now, sitting here on a Saturday all alone.
I did that because I think the responsibility of humans for the environment is not properly recognized. I am working for (petty and more or less pointless) projects in the field of sustainability and sustainable development.

Today, I read some opinions on another board which I would like to share with you:

[!--QuoteBegin--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]I watched a Discovery PLanet thing, and it said that humans relocated to another planet, so I think that stuff may happen, but humans won't die out (thank god!)[/quote]

[!--QuoteBegin--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]Put it this way: the next generation do not exist: they have no rights. I owe nothing to non-existent people.
Anyway, this Ende of ye Worlde stuff is nonsense. Terrorism is no threat, nor is nuke warfare. Pollution isn't a big enough problem, either.
And overpopulation... well, all have we have to do is bring back the Nazis every few decades or so.[/quote]

[!--QuoteBegin--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]The world will not end, at least in my lifetime. We humans are too resourceful and good with tools and imagination for our own good. When the time comes that resources are depleted from the Earth we will move on to other planets so long as it is profitable. For the next 300-500 years or so I do not see that happening.[/quote]

I now have the feeling I'm doing all this straining work for nothing and nothing again. These assorted attitudes from Europeans and Americans are not exceptions, but common and widespread.
Somebody cheer me up!

[!--QuoteBegin--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]When the time comes that resources are depleted from the Earth we will move on to other planets so long as it is profitable.[/quote]
That's the "locust attitude". '[a href=\'http://www.maidenfans.com/imc/index.php?url=album12_bnw/commentary12_bnw&lang=eng&link=albums#track9\' target=\'_blank\']Out Of The Silent Planet[/a]' anyone? [!--emo&:huh:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/huh.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'huh.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

While I do my utmost to help the environment, I do think than Nature is alot stronger than we give it credit for.

The planet has been here for billions of years. It's seen natural disasters, asteroids, and God knows what else. The human race is merely a pimple on the Earth's face. Life on Earth will continue well after the last human being has died....it might be profoundly different than we hope, but it'll endure.

As with pretty much everything else in life, I look the environment from a historical prespective. (Environmental History is a relatively new discipline)
I suggest Clive Ponting's A Green History of the World

Well Perun first, what you are doing is not unique to Germany, Mexico also has civil service as an alternitive to military service. anywho you are not alone in thinking what you are doing is pointless. I'm a Religious Studies Major, and sometimes I think that what i'm doing is completely pointless, in an increasingly more scientific, rational and atheist world I'm a superstitious idiot who still believes in "Santa Claus". But then something cool happens I'll tell you this. One day when I was feeling like you are now I went to go get a hair cut and the barber was very cool and talked a lot. So he asked me what I was studying and I said religion. He said that was cool and we started talking about philosophy and religion. He told me he wasn't into christianity anymore but liked eastern philosophy (hinduism, buddihsim) a lot more and he was reading up on it. He told me he was having problems internalizing the teachings of detachment. I perked right up, I gave him a small explanation and he was like "oooh ok i get it know, cool!" I did what I'll do the rest of my life, help people UNDERSTAND religion and philosophy, I'm not converting anybody to anything but these are complicated subjects most people take very lightly. you don't have to believe in God or a god to understand a philosophy or try and live by it. I knew then that what I was studying wasn't pointless after all, and that i would be able to help mankind in my own unique way.
You too are doing the same. like in Still Life's thread about government... one person can't do crap without a following. But if enough people work hard to make life better for everybody it will make a change.
Plus I think nature will destroy us before we destroy it [!--emo&:D--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/biggrin.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'biggrin.gif\' /][!--endemo--]. there isn't a single place on earth you can escape it. Just here in the US California: Earthquakes, the Southwest: droughts, the MidWest: Tornados, Eastcoast: Blizzards South East/caribian: Hurricanes.

Ah, don't feel too bad, Perun. Everything is pointless. You, me, this post. You name it, it's pointless. [!--emo&:D--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/biggrin.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'biggrin.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

[!--QuoteBegin-StrangerInAStrangeLand+Oct 23 2004, 11:40 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(StrangerInAStrangeLand @ Oct 23 2004, 11:40 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]Ah, don't feel too bad, Perun. Everything is pointless. You, me, this post. You name it, it's pointless. [!--emo&:D--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/biggrin.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'biggrin.gif\' /][!--endemo--]
[snapback]90031[/snapback]​
[/quote]
Stop reading Sartre! [!--emo&:p--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/tongue.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'tongue.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

Awwww! Do I have to? [!--emo&:unsure:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/unsure.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'unsure.gif\' /][!--endemo--] [!--emo&:p--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/tongue.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'tongue.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

Great responses here! I wish that there was a program like that everywhere. Something that makes people aware – biofeedback.

Not everyone will feel as you do about the environment, but there are people that care. You just may not see them.

I think that the best thing for you is to know that you are doing something – voluntary or not, you are still doing something and that counts. Now maybe if you can extend what you’ve learned unto others, then you’ve done a little more – more than many around you might have done.

Back