Oh Holy Diver...

Loki7734

Prowler
First of all, forgive me if this is the wrong forum - I'm new.

--------------

Anyway, this topic is about interpretations of Dio songs (especially Holy Diver and The Last in Line, but others too). I love the man's voice, but most of his lyrics are totally impenetrable. Either they're exceptionally clever, or just meaningless crap. Google searches don't yield an awful lot of information, and it's all pure speculation. So wha are your thoughts?

I'd like to offer a couple of suggestions here, but I have no idea where to start  :/

My favourite Dio lyric is now, and always will be, not from his solo stuff, but from his days with Black Sabbath - Heaven and Hell. It's very close to becoming an anthem for how I live my life.

LooseCannon said:
My favourite Dio lyric is now, and always will be, not from his solo stuff, but from his days with Black Sabbath - Heaven and Hell. It's very close to becoming an anthem for how I live my life.

Do you walk a lot in golden halls and keep the gold that falls?

*diving out of firing range*

No, that's the other people who do that. After all, they tell you black is really white, the moon is just the sun at night...

Perun said:
I prefer to ride on my Gypsy queen.
:bigsmile:

Seriously, I would love to see a serious interpretation of Holy Diver.
I can't believe the man who wrote Stargazer and Heaven and Hell would write meaningless crap and name his debut solo album after it.
Paging Perun...

I'm sure it means something. I just don't know if anyone other than RJD ever knew what that something is.

LooseCannon said:
No, that's the other people who do that. After all, they tell you black is really white, the moon is just the sun at night...

Those are some of the greatest lyrics ever written. I'm having that particular verse as an introductory quote for my BA thesis. Seeing how it is discussing the conception of dualism in ancient Iran, I felt it is more than fitting.

mckindog said:
I can't believe the man who wrote Stargazer and Heaven and Hell would write meaningless crap and name his debut solo album after it.

Hardly. I'm having a hard time with this one, though. The lyrics raise a great bunch of questions, the primary one, of course, being who is the Holy Diver? I can think of an interview quote by Dio himself where he described the album cover, saying he wants people to wonder why the hell you would put a holy diver there. So, the Holy Diver is probably that chained priest thrown into the sea - the midnight sea? - by Murray.

So I would wager the first two lines are really just describing the scene shown on the album cover, the narrator being a watcher and asking what's becoming of me? Does that mean he is in some sort of relation of dependence to the priest? Perhaps he relies on him for spiritual guidance. In that case, the tiger he - the narrator or the priest? That seems ambiguous to me - is riding on could be the mass of followers of religion. They pose a threat to their spiritual guide because as soon as their guide falters, they will look for a new one to take his place, like a strong wolf challenges a weak one for his position of being the alpha male in a pack. Doesn't this remind of some later Dio lyrics like I could have been a Dreamer or Lock up the Wolves?
I have long puzzled over the line You can see his stripes but you know he's clean, but if the "tiger" is to be seen in the above way, the stripes are a symbol of his danger, but the holy diver pretends or believes to know that he is in no way dangerous.

I think the song gets a bit clearer with the next two verses. They are obviously evoking images of deception and delusion. Maybe you can hide in the sun till you see the light is meant to be understood as a warning of sorts that the truth is so obvious that we can't see it? I think the key to the song's meaning is the bridge:

Between the velvet lies
There's a truth that's hard as steel, yeah
The vision never dies
Life's a never ending wheel!

These are pretty obvious, and I think the last line links it all a bit to Heaven and Hell (it goes on and on and on)... so maybe Holy Diver is a bit of a mystical illustration to the points raised in Heaven and Hell. I wouldn't be surprised if that were so, seeing how Dio has been quite consistent in the imagery and lyrical themes he used.

The Holy Diver being the star of the masquerade is once more a reference to the lies told by people to have you follow them. They put on the disguise of being religious or whatever while hiding their own motives, selfish at best, sinister at worst. And in the web of lies and delusion, some light can never be seen.

Well, that's the best I could come up with for the moment. When it comes down to it, you should read your own meaning into it. It is quite difficult with this particular song, so maybe this helps you a bit.  :smartarse:

Not a bad stab at things, Per. I dunno, I have a few ideas, but I doubt they would be correct, as they are more "specific" than what you have in mind, and therefore more likely to err.

mckindog said:

Dio himself said Holy Diver is a christ-like savior, the people that he is meant to save turn his back on him, but he still goes through with his mission. That's as serious and straightforward as you're gonna get :D

Black Thunder said:
Did I misread the first post? If so. I'm sorry.

I was saying that it was either very complex and opaque, or meaningless crap, which is how it appears at first glance. I personally don't think it is, I'm just devoid of any other explanation.

And even if Dio's lyrics are meaningless, which I doubt, they certainly aren't crap.

mckindog said:
:bigsmile:

Paging Perun...

That's another one - Heaven and Hell - that I'm struggling with. I did hear that Holy Diver could be about heroin: "tiger" being slang for heroin, and the stripes being the markings on a needle. That's about it though, and it's flimsy. Alternatively, religion was a suggestion - though I think this is mainly because of the word holy.

Heaven and Hell pretty much is about the lies of organized religion. Straight up.

Black Thunder said:
Dio's lyrics meaningless crap?  :blink:

He's my 4th favorite lyrics writer of all time.
Who are the other 3?

I've always taken Dio's lyrics at face value. I don't think there is anything too complicated in there. A lot of his lyrics come from his political beliefs.

Loki7734 said:
I was saying that it was either very complex and opaque, or meaningless crap, which is how it appears at first glance. I personally don't think it is, I'm just devoid of any other explanation.

And even if Dio's lyrics are meaningless, which I doubt, they certainly aren't crap.

Thanks for clearing it up.  :) Sorry about that.

Stallion Duck said:
Who are the other 3?

I've always taken Dio's lyrics at face value. I don't think there is anything too complicated in there. A lot of his lyrics come from his political beliefs.

Political beliefs? I think most of them come from his fantasy.

1. Pete Townshend
2. Bob Dylan
3. Steve Harris
4. Ronnie James Dio
5. Roger Waters
6. Jackson Browne
7. Mark Knopfler
8. Bruce Springsteen
9. Neil Peart
10. Paul Simon

No, they're right. There's a few interviews out there with Dio about his lyrics - Dio was a recovered Catholic, and that really inspired a lot of his writing (most notably Heaven & Hell).

Back