Official thread for Final Frontier discussion

Re: Official thread for Final Frontier discussion (Spoilers inside)

I was driving from my university today, having completed my final class/exam ever before my degree, and I already had secured a passing grade in the class and everything, and I cranked the Alchemist.

"Know this
I will return to this land..."

You know, the song is completely more or less unrelated to my situation, but those words really connected with me as I leave my college years behind and enter the real world.

I don't know.

I'm really not trying to be superlative, but albums I enjoy that come around extraordinary periods of change in my life always tend to have some strange profound effect on me, and become favorites forever, and I think that's probably going to happen to The Final Frontier.

Maiden has been there through so many of my life's milestones, and I don't know perhaps it speaks to the longevity and integrity of the band that even an album launched 35 years into their career can touch me as it does.

Up the f***ing irons.

Rivet_Head said:
Well, Im right there with you. Where do you put it with respect to their "classics" ?

As I have posted ad nauseum - IMHO, its right up there with SIT, SSOASS and just a smiggin behind..

I leave the 80's material out of this because it is impossible to even comprehend the slippery slope of doing that. I figure just leave the two eras by themselves.

LordMaiden said:
I leave the 80's material out of this because it is impossible to even comprehend the slippery slope of doing that. I figure just leave the two eras by themselves.
This is what I do, though I actually make the cut off point at Fear of the Dark.

Yeah, me too. They really are a different band now.

I think TFF and the other reunion albums are EQUALLY GREAT with the 80's classics.

Eh. DOD leaves a lot to be desired, looking back on it 7 years later. BNW remains my favourite album. AMOLAD is up there with Powerslave, TNOTB, and TXF for me.

Don't hate me but I think it's best 2000's Maiden album. And the 2000's Maiden is fucking amazing too. 1990-1998 Iron Maiden was bad. (except The X Factor that was hell of an album. And of course that period has good songs but we're talking about albums) But 2000's Maiden is like 80's Maiden. They're musical geniuses. I'm seeing AMOLAD and TFF in the level of Powerslave, Piece of Mind etc. Brave New World is better than Killers. For me, Dance of Death is in the same level with Seventh Son of a Seventh Son.

2000's Maiden rocks too.  :shred:

Cap Maronis -

Good for you! Congtatulations - I hope you succeed in your future endeavors.

I am also a college grad(1994)  :eek:.. and remember graduation being a pivotal point in my life..

For many reasons, I find Iron Maiden inspirational.. Songs like Heaven Can wait, Loneliness of The Long Distance Runner, Wasted Years, Die With Your Boots On, Infinite Dreams... and now The Talisman, WTWWB, Starblind... just to name a few.  The list is long..  I could go on, and on, and on...

Maiden has influenced me in so many positive ways that the average person (in a musical sense) will never understand. This is the beauty of Maiden's music.
LordMaiden said:

I hear you.. However, in the true sense, they are are different in subtle ways.. Yes, they have another guitarist, and producer.. They have aged, its a new era, etc...

But they are artists, and post 80's is still part of their entire body of work..  A Van Gogh is a Van Gogh, might have used different paint, or reference points but it was still a body of work. So, in that sense, comparisons are valid to me. While I love Maiden no matter what, it is not hard for the discerning ear to notice the creative peaks and valleys throughout thier collection..

Like Loose said, DOD leaves a lot to desire. And for me, NPFTD, FOD, DOD, and Virtual were low points over the entire body of work.. Just my opinion, but I'll take the "classics" (which now contains TFF! That I think we should agree on) over the aforementioned..
CHEERS

LooseCannon said:
Eh. DOD leaves a lot to be desired, looking back on it 7 years later. BNW remains my favourite album. AMOLAD is up there with Powerslave, TNOTB, and TXF for me.

Y'know what's funny about DOD is that it really has consistency issues. That's what puts it a rung below all of the other post-reunion albums. I wouldn't say anything is particularly bad on the album, but it's far from perfect. There is some truly great material (If you don't like Paschendale, and you're on this forum I'll file the paperwork to have you committed myself  :innocent:) but it's hard for me to say No More Lies (studio version), Montsegur, Gates of Tomorrow, and New Frontier are all-time greatest songs. That said, there are songs from this album that I think are either written-off, or just plain forgotten. I think that Wildest Dreams is a terrific song that does exactly what it accomplishes to do. Sure it's cousins with A Different World and The Wicker Man in terms of being a rocking upbeatish opener, but I still enjoy the hell out of it.

Rivet_Head: Seriously. Now imagine pivotal moments, and listening to Wildest Dreams with a car packed to the brim with your belongings as you fly down the highway to your first college dorm. Pretty damn inspirational if you ask me.

I guess I'm in the minority in absolutely LOVING DOD. Oh well. To each their own I guess. :)

I love a lot of DOD. Rainmaker, NML, the title track, Paschendale, Paschendale, Paschendale, Journeyman.

I believe you forgot Paschendale. It's okay, but you're really missing out.  :lol:

Apart from Wildest Dreams and New Frontier (which aren't in no way bad, but not in the same greatness as the others), the album is flawless; and for those who complain that Maiden does not do something different, there's Rainmaker, Montségur, Paschendale, Face In The Sand, Journeyman and specially, Age Of Innocence (original, powerful and fantastic). As I use to say, it's FOTD from the 00's.

Jeffmetal said:
Apart from Wildest Dreams and New Frontier (which aren't in no way bad, but not in the same greatness as the others), the album is flawless; and for those who complain that Maiden does not do something different, there's Rainmaker, Montségur, Paschendale, Face In The Sand, Journeyman and specially, Age Of Innocence (original, powerful and fantastic). As I use to say, it's FOTD from the 00's.

But FOTD has some half-ass songs on it. Like Eternity, Chains, Weekend, Key.....not to mention Bruce's raspy nonsense.

Travis_AKA_fonzbear2000 said:
I guess I'm in the minority in absolutely LOVING DOD. Oh well. To each their own I guess. :)

I think it's a great record. With songs like Dance of Death, Paschendale, Face in the Sand and Journeyman, how could it go wrong?

Gates of Tomorrow and New Frontier are the weak tracks on the album, but I still think they are decent songs.

Whatever floats your Maidenboat. I've always thought of FotD as the nasty little stepchild of their discography. It has great moments but that's it. It deceives you and is uneven.

At least NPftD was a total honest turd from beginning to end.

Never felt anything bad about FOTD. Listened to Wasting Love on radio, on September 1st 1992, and recognized it was Maiden on the first guitar sound right away! My turntable was fucked up and I bought it only on March 5th 1994 (I got a new stereo, on Xmas 1993). A strong album, with a big sound, catchy tunes, new stuff for Maiden on some songs and production wise and all tracks got their uniqueness. A really great album. Of course, when you listen to a band that has so many fantastic records under its belt you have to, at some point, rank things and even though it's on the 11th spot, it's still a great album, but there are another 10 I like more, but always by their own rights.

Also, I'm shittin' and ridin' for what media or the majority says, or as Bruce summed it all up on Fear Is The Key, "You don't get a say, the majority gets its way." Fuck the majority!!! :edmetal:

Jeffmetal said:
Also, I'm shittin' and ridin' for what media or the majority says, or as Bruce summed it all up on Fear Is The Key, "You don't get a say, the majority gets its way." Fuck the majority!!! :edmetal:

Now that is something I can get behind!
I remember Harris saying something along the lines of most fans he has talked to end up revealing that their favorite Maiden album is their first. I know this has nothing to do with what we are talking about but I wonder, considering SiT was my first and favorite.

Back