Official thread for Final Frontier discussion

Re: Official thread for Final Frontier discussion (Spoilers inside)

Ironpriest said:
wow, my first post on anything on a forum of any kind. wierd. Anyway...THE FINAL FRONTIER. its ridiculous how excited i am for this javascript:void(0); so, to those that have heard it, how similar is it to AMOLAD?

3 similarities
1. The title track has a repetitive chorus (but it's really the only song to have one).
2. Lots of long songs
3. Mother of Mercy has a similar feel to AMOLAD.

That's just about it. TFF really is radically different from AMOLAD in my ears.

Might TFF be somewhat of a concept-album?

When I listen to the songs and think about the lyrics which I've understood, which is most of them, this album seems to be more or less about travelling or different kind of journeys. I mean, The Final Frontier is obvious, El Dorado is about gold diggers travelling by boat to some mysterious city of gold. Then we have Mother Of Mercy which is not so much about travelling but more about a soldiers journey. Further on we have Coming Home which is obviously about travelling. The Alchemist, is like Mother Of Mercy, not directly about travelling but rather about this "alchemist" returning home etc, so in a way it's also about travelling.

Up next is The Talisman which is another obvious one being about a group of people setting of to sea for whatever reasons. Then there is Isle Of Avalon which is about someone travelling on some sort of quest for the Isle Of Avalon. Furthermore there is Starblind which I think about escaping God and the sun etc, can't really figure out what this one is about though. Anyway, up next is The Man Who Would Be King which is another one which is kinda obvious with the lyrics being for example "As he journeys across mountain passes, and significant sweeps overhand".

Then there is the ending in shape of When The Wild Wind Blows which really hasn't got anything at all to do with travel but still could be fitted into the concept with a new beginning etc.

Anyway, just some random thoughts early in the morning. Maybe it's just me, but I think to many songs is about travel to be able to completely deny it.  :shred:

Re: Might TFF be somewhat of a concept-album?

http://forum.maidenfans.com/index.php?topic=19964.0

Listen to the Interview

Steve talks about how everyone always ask if their albums are concept albums, mostly referring to AMOLAD,  and TFF.

He says the only concept album is SSOASS. He says no other album is a concept album.

He talks about people may find similarities, but none of it is intentional, and none of them to be considered a concept album.

So to answer your question. No. TFF is not a concept album. You may find some similarities. But in no way is it intentionally designed that way.

mozzle said:
http://forum.maidenfans.com/index.php?topic=19964.0

Listen to the Interview

Steve talks about how everyone always ask if their albums are concept albums, mostly referring to AMOLAD,  and TFF.

He says the only concept album is SSOASS. He says no other album is a concept album.

He talks about people may find similarities, but none of it is intentional, and none of them to be considered a concept album.

So to answer your question. No. TFF is not a concept album. You may find some similarities. But in no way is it intentionally designed that way.

Yeah, I know. But I really think that travelling/journeys and adventure runs through this album just like war and religion runs through A Matter Of Life And Death. :)

Rivet_Head said:
Well, its been 2 full days since I started this journey called TFF... I can now offer a valid opinion based on numerous listens...

My opinion is.....

FUCKING UNBELIEVABLE.  I HAVE COME TO THE CONCLUSION THAT THIS IS THE BEST ALBUM SINCE SSOASS. PERIOD.

For me, a fan since '81, this ranks right up there with SSOASS, and SIT. I would put it just behind POM, Poweslave, and TNOTB (in that order - and yes some of that has to do with nostalgia I am very certain)... That said, f you would have asked me yesterday, I would have put it on equal footing with DOD, and a lesser album than BNW & AMOLAD... This is the REAL DEAL. Songs 6 to 10 could round out separate album in and of themselves... Absolutely Incredible.

Thanks Bruce, Steve, Dave, Adrian, Janic and Nico - YOU MADE MY YEAR.

Cheers
Disclaimer.. I would rank it just behind SIT, SSOASS.. in that order, and no small feat. I cant imagine what I'll thinks once I really start getting into the lyrics, as for now I have only been focused on song structure, melodies, riffage, ryhthms, etc...
I aggre with almost everything you wrote. TFF really shares the same kind of brilliance withn SIT and SSOSS .It really feels like the album that could fit in that period of IM , which i like as much as their more heavy metal period (the Powerslaves e.t.c)

I'll agree with you on that.

I think it safe to say that songs on this album may share a theme, or have some similarities.

But I wouldn't call it a concept, or even a semi/quasi concept album. To me a concept album is an album that tells a story.

Where as an album with a theme is like a retelling of the first chapter over and over from different perspective.

Moonchild33 said:
3 similarities
1. The title track has a repetitive chorus (but it's really the only song to have one).
2. Lots of long songs
3. Mother of Mercy has a similar feel to AMOLAD.

That's just about it. TFF really is radically different from AMOLAD in my ears.

Awesome!!!, shot man. not that i didn't like AMOLAD, in fact i love it, but i felt it was...how do i put this...a bit too solid. I abolutely love the vibrance and colour of Dance of Death and Brave new world, but AMOLAD was quite aurally monochromatic in my ears(not a bad thing) It just didn't feel as unique as the other two, and, personally, i was hoping for a bit more diversity. Don't get me wrong, i loved the grunt of AMOLAD, but...i dunno, hard to explain. i also felt that it dragged a hell of a lot more than the previous albums. However, from what ive heard about TFF, its like my dream album, diverse,experimental,atmospheric and vibrant. But ill have to wait until the 16th to find out if it is or not.

Ironpriest said:
Awesome!!!, shot man. not that i didn't like AMOLAD, in fact i love it, but i felt it was...how do i put this...a bit too solid. I abolutely love the vibrance and colour of Dance of Death and Brave new world, but AMOLAD was quite aurally monochromatic in my ears(not a bad thing) It just didn't feel as unique as the other two, and, personally, i was hoping for a bit more diversity. Don't get me wrong, i loved the grunt of AMOLAD, but...i dunno, hard to explain. i also felt that it dragged a hell of a lot more than the previous albums. However, from what ive heard about TFF, its like my dream album, diverse,experimental,atmospheric and vibrant. But ill have to wait until the 16th to find out if it is or not.

For me this album is a mix between Virtual Xi,Dance of Death and a little bit of AMOLAD.It has its moments but i dont like the sad ambient of this album,and this kind sound its the same in Dance of death,and a little bit in Virtual Xi.I have to say with pain that after a lot of listening ( more than 15),i dont like the album.I only save 3 or 4 songs and parts of other 2 and for me its too bad if we are speaking of an iron maiden album.I loved BNW and AMOLAD. :blush:

Don't know about you guys, but I have chills on my arms through almost 90% of the album...

I liked the album. TFF sound so different from AMOLAD. Album has a great atmosphere and good sounds.

Bruce is the best in the album I think. Actually, solos are disappointing for me. That should be better.

But it's badass overall. Some of songs are classics. For example, WTWWB is one of the best songs of 2000's area of Maiden. And maybe, one of the best songs in all Maiden history.

It may be to early to give my accurate feelings on the album but this could possibly be the best album in the history of music.

I think I'm gonna buy the album in every format/version  :yey:

Still can't wait to hear this on Tuesday.  It's driving me insane.

I actually like their decision on the solos.  The guitar melodies are so badass that it makes up for the lack of truly awe-inspiring solos...  But there are still some real butt crunching solos on here.

The solo in Coming Home feels so awesome.

The Alchemist has such a fun solo.

I find they trade off solos for more just fine instrumental moments.  I don't mind that because I just like what sounds good.  If a song sounds good without a killer solo, I don't see why I'd miss the solo.

Had another couple whizzes of the album today, and it's still effin brilliant. Even the Man Who Would Be King has my vote now, save the ending.

Every song on the album is balanced to brilliance, and When The Wild Wind Blows might make me cry on an off day, it's that bloody good.

Classic.

Hey everyone, because he/she lives in The Netherlands, Forostar just got the actual CD today and I'm asking if he'll/she'll scan the entire booklet and post it here. Hopefully he/she won't mind helping out. :) I'm not sure if Foro is a guy or girl so I just wanted to play it safe. :p

Had another couple whizzes of the album today, and it's still effin brilliant. Even the Man Who Would Be King has my vote now, save the ending.

Every song on the album is balanced to brilliance, and When The Wild Wind Blows might make me cry on an off day, it's that bloody good.

Classic.
Viper - You are spot on. Classic already - and not in the same vane as POM, SIT, SSOASS.. However, I rank it right up there with them... This is experimental - bluesy, jazzy... especially in the breakdowns/solo sections of Isle of Avalon, and WTWWB.. Truly unbelieveable that they had the balls to do this. I LOVE IT.
maidenhead1996 said:
I liked the album. TFF sound so different from AMOLAD. Album has a great atmosphere and good sounds.

Bruce is the best in the album I think. Actually, solos are disappointing for me. That should be better.

But it's badass overall. Some of songs are classics. For example, WTWWB is one of the best songs of 2000's area of Maiden. And maybe, one of the best songs in all Maiden history.

You havent listened enough to the album.. too much info to process here.. Believe me, I'm a fan of nearly 30 years, and I love their solos more than anything..It took me a couple of days of repeated listening for this stuff to sink in...  Give it some time and the solos will start coming out of the woodwork for you.. Just listen to the mid-section of Isle of Avalon - tons of new, unchartered territory for the boys... Even the solos on TFF and Coming Home are beautiful... With this album remember that This is a marathon, not a race...

I've listened to this enough now to come to a decision that I like it better than AMOLAD, which means it is better than DoD and BNW.

LordMaiden said:
I've listened to this enough now to come to a decision that I like it better than AMOLAD, which means it is better than DoD and BNW.

Well, Im right there with you. Where do you put it with respect to their "classics" ?

As I have posted ad nauseum - IMHO, its right up there with SIT, SSOASS and just a smiggin behind..

Back