Official Hockey discussion thread

No, I'm sorry. Being an enforcer has been linked to early death. While CTE and post concussion syndrome is a problem for the guys who take those Matt Cooke-style hits, it's extremely linked to the guys who fought for a living in the 1990s. The fact is that the more you fight, the more likely you are to die early. Suicide, drug overdose, car accidents, there's a litany of things that off you more than the average ex-NHL player population if you fought more than 50 times in your career.

My opposition to fighting isn't entirely that it's unnecessary, it is that the NHL is still denying the link between fighting and CTE. If a player wants to throw hands a few times in a career, that's fine. But Matt Rempe is on the fast train to eating his 2040 Thanksgiving dinner from a straw, and the league doesn't care. That's my problem.

My opposition to fighting isn't entirely that it's unnecessary, it is that the NHL is still denying the link between fighting and CTE...
Oh, I understand that. But again, there are no actual enforcers anymore. It's not possible to "fight for a living" anymore. You HAVE TO bring something, anything, else to the table.

Also I'd be interested to see how many fights Bob Probert had in his career vs, say, Ryan Reaves. Cuz I guarantee you Probert had more in a week than Reaves in a season. Again I, unlike the NHL, am not denying the link between CTE and fights, but you also can't deny that fighting as a whole is down dramatically, line brawls practically as frequent as a solar eclipse and well... I'm more concerned about hits to the head and boarding than a fight every blue moon.

Reaves has had 168 fights going back to junior. It's not Bob Probert levels, 285 career fights at pro levels, but it's not fuckin' nothing, either. Also, Bob Probert dropped dead of a heart attack at age 45 and his brain was found to contain clear signs of CTE.

I do not deny that fighting is down? Why would I deny that, because it's true. It's also true that guys who are dropping dead were frequent fighters, and the guys getting big hits aren't. Like, Marc Savard is still around, y'know? You're worried about something that is a *problem*, which is why the NHL changed the rules around headchecking and checking from behind, but they didn't change the rules around fighting, it's the exact same as it has been since the instigator rule dropped in.

Fights aren't "every blue moon", either. Matt Rempe has had 12 this year, 6 at the NHL level in the 15 NHL games he's played. They're still happening once every two games, roughly, which is not nothing. They're banned in the QMJHL now, and they're almost fully banned in the OHL as well, but the WHL continues to be a fisticuffs league with a fight roughly 3 out of every 4 games.

At the end of the day, the NHL should be warning the guys throwing fists exactly what the dangers are, the dangers of ending up like Bob Probert, Gino Odjick, Steve Montador, Chris Simon, Derek Boogard, Wade Belak, Rick Rypien, Todd Ewen, Greg Johnson...

I'm very well aware that enforcers have been dying as a direct result of CTE.

I agree that that the league should admit the connection between fighting and CTE. It is laughable how they allow it, but then condemn episodes like that between NJ and NYR as "a circus." So you either allow it or you don't, and REGARDLESS of allow it or banning it, they have to admit they can't deny the science.

My MAIN point is, CTE is the problem. it isn't fighting. Fighting is just ONE possible cause of CTE, not the only one. So you ban fighting, but guess what, people still check and cross check and elbow and board and, like with Mathew Knies, get their head bashed onto the ice. So what is actually accomplished with banning fighting in a CONTACT sport? There is NO fighting in American Football, A LOT of players suffer from CTE and last time I checked, which was a while ago, the NFL, like the NHL, deny the connection between getting bashed in the head and CTE. So again... the problem isn't fighting in and of itself, the problem is the CONTACT in a contact sport. The ONLY way to "keep players safe," is to rid the sport of contact, simple as that.

So I guess my question is, are you for banning fights at NHL level OR for the league taking responsibility, informing players and, since both them and the league are willing participants, offer medical/counseling assistance after retirement? I'm all for the ECHL, WHL, OHL and even the AHL not having fighting. But I maintain my point that in a contact sport, CTE is going to be an ongoing problem, fighting or not.

Welp, he did it. Crosby has 1000 career assists and with his 3 points moved up to 10th all time. He is 9 goals away from 600 and he is 9 points away from 1600.

If, and it is a big if, he plays until he is 40 and IF he scores at least 30 goals per season he could pass Lemieux as the Pens all time goal scorer and get into the 700 club. Not to mention the longest serving captain in leauge history. Lordy lordy

McDavid hits 100 assists. Don't know if it's a generational thing, but I am not as excited for McDavid as I am for Crosby. Even though, if there is someone to give Crosby a run for his money it's him. Saw a post earlier today of all the players this season that would've won the Art Ross back in 2015 and it's like the top 15 players LOL. Which includes Crosby with 87 or so. The amount of insane talent coming up is ridiculous. I feel like I'm witnessing a second golden era of hockey and it gives me chills.

What doesn't give me chills is that it has been confirmed the Coyotes have officially failed in AZ and will move to Salt Lake City. I was watching the Dangle podcast this morning and Adam Wylde asked when were the Ducks going to get their 1st overall pick, because no other club had sucked so much for so long without getting one. I almost threw my controller at the TV, because except for their Western Conference Finals run in 2012, for their entire existence in AZ, the Yotes have sucked balls and no real high picks to speak of, let alone a 1st overall. They've traded for picks, but not once have won the lottery.

Also seems everyone, from players, to coaches and pundits once again bitching about the playoff format and calling for a return of the 1-8. I wonder if the league will listen and go back to it. I've never seen or can't recall a single time the league has walked back a decision, so I doubt they'll do it. Playoffs in 5 days!

I feel really bad for the Coyotes fans losing their team because there was never a good owner in the desert. But the current situation cannot continue for 5+ years as Meruelo tries to build an arena. Salt Lake City should be a really good place for a hockey team. Maybe the Coyotes will come back, but I expect Meruelo will fail in his bid to build an arena district and it will stop being important once he gets a billion dollar bribe to move the Yotes.

Oh, it gets worse. Kuwait sent a team to a tournament recently and lost 52-1.
What made it just as astonishing is the team doing the ass kicking.... THAILAND!

Also, I'm going to have a heart attack thanks to my Bruins. ONCE AGAIN, going to game 7, ONCE AGAIN can't close the series after getting a 3-1 lead, ONCE AGAIN against Toronto. I should be relaxed, because in the past they've always come out on top eventually, but this is EXACTLY what needed to happen for Toronto to slay their dragon. UUUUUGGGGHHHHH

Back