Official Football Thread

Perun said:
Yeah, I have no idea how I'm going to get out of bed on Monday. But hey, what can I do ;)

No reason to worry. The rest of Germany will also be in bed on Monday - nobody will expect you to show up at work before Tuesday. After all, half the population will celebrate if you win, and the other half will (like yourself) be kept awake by those who are celebrating  B)

No. The Spanish always fuck it up for themselves in the big tournaments. There is a reason why they have only one title in the two major tournaments (and that was in 1964) ...

It would be a nice surprise to see them make it this time, though.

Maverick said:
Has anyone even considered the possibility that Spain may win?  :innocent:

Apparantly not.  I for one am cheering for Spain.  They've earned it.  It would be nice after so many years of falling short.

So I haveto say that I am quite pleased with the finals result, and with my prediction for a change. Turkey played better than Germany though in the semifinals so I'm not too thrilled with Germany being in the final but oh well one can't have everything. On the other hand, I am extremely pleased that Spain made it, that game was gorgeous on the part of the Spaniards, faultless passing play, brilliant goals, great defense (Ramos and Puyol being especially strong I think). So, about the final. While I would very much like to see the Spaniards win (especially if they play like they did in the semifinal), I'm a bit worried because the Germans are a strong team (we saw it against Portugal) and they are headstrong (because they're tall). So long corners are pretty much out of the question because the Spaniards are not particularily tall (except Torres and Ramos) and the Germans have a heavier build so they'll be sure to be merciless against the Spaniards. The only chance the Spaniards really have is to play the smart type of passing play that they did against Russia. At least that's how I see it. But as Y says, Viva Espana!

I lost my interest for the final, I'm afraid. Out of all countries, these two were not my favourites, in fact these countries appeal the least to me.

Let's hope it'll be exciting for the neutral supporter. Penalties !

Potential bad news for both Germany and Spain

(Though I wonder why German potential loss must be emphasized, while Spain's does not).  Ridiculous bias.

Ballack injury threatens German final hopes

By Mark Meadows

VIENNA (Reuters) - An injury to Germany captain Michael Ballack threatened to rob the Euro 2008 final of one its most exciting players on Saturday, just as soccer's great and good were drooling over the attacking play so far.

A calf problem meant the midfielder was doubtful for Sunday's showpiece in Vienna against Spain, who also looked poised to be without tournament top scorer David Villa through injury.

Ballack's driving runs and aerial ability were expected to test a Spanish defense which has so far been largely untroubled in their five games at the tournament.

"Our medical team will be working with him round the clock but we have to think seriously about alternatives," Germany coach Joachim Loew told a news conference.

The absences of Ballack and Villa would be a blow to fans of soccer, not just the thousands of Germans and Spanish who will descend on the Austria capital for the 1845 GMT kick off.

The three-week event has up to now produced flowing forward play rarely seen in the usually cagey international game.

Michel Platini, president of European governing body UEFA, said the tournament had thrived thanks to exciting games, good organization and colorful fans.

"I am pleased and delighted that we've been able to convey this wonderful view of football broadcast throughout the world," he said.

"I thank Germany and Spain in particular and hope for a wonderful match with great goals, great saves and attacking football."

Former Germany captain Franz Beckenbauer, who won Euro 72, seemed pleased order had been restored following Greece's shock triumph four years ago with a series of dull 1-0 wins.

"I think everyone involved in the tournament can be very happy. The final is two classic football countries in Germany and Spain. It really is a big success," he said.

"I hope it will be an exciting final, an attractive and high scoring final. Maybe a draw, extra-time then penalties with Germany having the better nerves."

TEAMS INCREASED

Beckenbauer, speaking before the news of the injury, also said Ballack could make the difference for the three-times champions.

The only other clouds on the horizon were the ones that caused torrential rain in Vienna in recent days and the debate over the hosting of the next European Championship in 2012.

Ukraine and Poland are due to hold the next tournament but Platini said the event would be taken off them if stadiums were not completed in Warsaw and Kiev.

The 2012 finals look poised to be the last with 16 teams after a meeting of senior officials on Saturday recommended the tournament should be increased to 24 teams from 2016.

In between summits and news conferences, Platini found time to invite the Spanish goalkeeper he embarrassed in the Euro 84 final to be his guest at Sunday's game.

Platini scored the opening goal of France's 2-0 win over the Spanish with a free kick that squirmed under the body of keeper Luis Arconada in Spain's last appearance at a major final.

Goalkeeping errors of this kind are now universally known in France as an "Arconada."

"I was thinking while I was shaving this morning about how I took the trophy off the Spanish 24 years ago but could be handing it back to them tomorrow," Platini said.

"When we called Arconada up to ask if he wanted to come and watch the game, he asked if it was a joke. But I think it's nice to be able to invite a former rival."

(Editing by Jon Bramley)

Ten of the best star turns

Before the UEFA Technical Team unveils the Castrol Player of Tournament and Team of the Tournament on Monday morning, euro2008.com takes its pick of ten of the players who most caught the eye at UEFA EURO 2008™. Have your say below. 

Hamit Altıntop (Turkey)
Nihat Kahveci took the plaudits for his superb finish against the Czech Republic but it was Hamit's clever pass that gave him the chance. Tireless, versatile and selfless, his coach Fatih Terim summed up his contribution best: "When you have footballers like this, you don't lose."

Andrei Arshavin (Russia)
After inspiring FC Zenit St. Petersburg to victory in the UEFA Cup final in May, Arshavin rose to the occasion again here, returning from suspension to make the difference against both Sweden and the Netherlands. Quick, clever and very, very good.

Michael Ballack (Germany)
Just when Germany looked on the ropes after losing to Croatia, Ballack got them back on their feet with the thunderous drive that defeated Austria. His performance in a more advanced role against Portugal helped wrest the initiative for Germany before he headed in the decisive third.

Iker Casillas (Spain)
With so much attacking talent on display goalkeepers have had it tough and Gianluigi Buffon, Artur Boruc, Igor Akinfeev and Stipe Pletikosa all impressed. Iker Casillas has had fewer saves to make than many, but has produced when it matters most, brilliantly saving from Mauro Camoranesi and Roman Pavlyuchenko in the knockout rounds, as well as getting the better of Buffon in the shoot-out.

Luka Modrić (Croatia)
Much was expected of the man dubbed the Croatian Cruyff and he did not disappoint, firing his side ahead from the penalty spot after only four minutes of their opening game against Austria. He created enough chances for Croatia to have beaten Turkey in the quarter-final and deserved better than to bow out after missing a penalty in the shoot-out.

Carles Puyol (Spain)
Question marks were raised over the Spain defence coming into the tournament but Puyol's central defensive partnership with Carlos Marchena has passed the test in a tournament that strikers have dominated. Increasingly assured with every game, Puyol was a tower of strength against Russia.

Bastian Schweinsteiger (Germany)
Bounced back from his sending off against Croatia with a match-winning display against Portugal in the quarter-finals, scoring one and setting up two more. Also equalised against the run of play in the semi-final when Turkey were threatening to run away with the game.

Marcos Senna (Spain)
Senna provided the security in the centre that allowed Spain's talented, attack-minded midfielders to push forward. No-frills but very disciplined. The cornerstone of Spain's success.

Wesley Sneijder (Netherlands)
Sneijder epitomised the vibrancy with which the Netherlands opened the tournament, hooking in a terrific goal against Italy then trumping that with a tremendous strike against France.

David Villa (Spain)
Villa's hat-trick in Spain's opening win against Russia set the standard for much of what was to follow from Luis Aragonés's side. The Valencia CF striker came into the tournament bursting with confidence and it rubbed off on his team-mates. A shame injury ruled him out of the final.

+

Ten of the best goals so far

The goals have been flying in at just over two-and-a-half per game at UEFA EURO 2008™. There have been 76 already in 30 games, the same number as at this stage four years ago, with the quality matching the quantity. euro2008.com takes its pick of ten of the best so far. Do you agree with our selection? Have your say below.

Philipp Lahm
Germany 3-2 Turkey, Semi-final, 25 June
Semih Şentürk's 86th-minute equaliser might have floored a lesser side, but not Germany. They quickly regrouped and within four minutes had won with a goal that will live long in the memory. Thomas Hitzlsperger's pass split the Turkey defence and Lahm smashed the ball over the advancing Rüştü Reçber to send Germany to their sixth final.

Roman Pavlyuchenko
Netherlands 1-3 Russia, Quarter-final, 21 June
Pavlyuchenko had made the most of the chance afforded to him by Pavel Pogrebnyak's injury and he made no mistake when Sergei Semak found him with a cross eleven minutes into the second half in Basel. The FC Spartak Moskva striker thumped a first-time volley beyond Edwin van der Sar.

Bastian Schweinsteiger
Portugal 2-3 Germany, Quarter-final, 19 June
Schweinsteiger had been told by his coach Joachim Löw that he had a "debt" to his team-mates after being sent off against Croatia. The midfielder went a long way to repaying it at St. Jakob-Park when he slid in at the near post to touch in Lukas Podolski's low cross to round off a blistering break down the left.

Michael Ballack
Austria 0-1 Germany, Group B, 16 June
After losing to Croatia the pressure was on Germany and though they never totally convinced against the co-hosts one moment of magic from their inspirational captain was all they needed. It came four minutes after the break, Ballack drilling a rising shot from a free-kick high past Jürgen Macho in the Austrian goal.

Nihat Kahveci
Turkey 3-2 Czech Republic, Group A, 15 June
Turkey scored a succession of stunning late goals but this was the pick of the bunch. Released by Hamit Altıntop's precise pass Nihat looked up before sending a curling shot around Petr Čech and in off the underside of the crossbar, completing a remarkable recovery and sending Turkey through to the quarter-finals.

Wesley Sneijder
Netherlands 4-1 France, Group C, 13 June
Arjen Robben's third goal for the Netherlands deserves special mention but better still was their fourth. Sneijder picked up the ball on the edge of the area, waltzed round Jérémy Toulalan then shot high over Grégory Coupet and in off the crossbar.

Robin van Persie
Netherlands 4-1 France, Group C, 13 June
Another Dutch counterattacking masterpiece started with a superb piece of skill from Ruud van Nistelrooy on the halfway line which sent Robben haring down the left. He crossed for Van Persie who volleyed in first time. Coupet got a hand to the ball but it was just too powerful.

Zlatan Ibrahimović
Greece 0-2 Sweden, Group D, 10 June
The game looked to be heading for a goalless draw until a moment of brilliance from Ibrahimović. After exchanging passes with Henrik Larsson on the edge of the area the FC Internazionale striker fired a thumping drive into the top right corner of Antonis Nikopolidis's net.

David Villa
Spain 4-1 Russia, Group D, 10 June
David Silva retrieved a loose ball on the edge of his own area and set in motion a lightning-quick counter that saw Joan Capdevila and Andrés Iniesta combine brilliantly before the latter released Villa who sprinted into the box then shot low beyond Igor Akinfeev.

Wesley Sneijder
Netherlands 3-0 Italy, Group A, 9 June
Giovanni van Bronkhorst started the move by clearing off his own goalline from an Italy corner. He then raced upfield before hitting a crossfield pass to Dirk Kuyt who cushioned the ball perfectly for Sneijder to hook past Gianluigi Buffon.

Vote for your favourite goal in the Carslberg Goal of the Day competition by clicking here.

Come people, Germany deserve to be in the final as well.

Ten five three reasons to like the Germans:

1. They are successful. Hats of to the Germans for working out how to win such tournaments - seriously, you have to hand it to them. Just like the Australians at Rugby Union/Rugby league/Cricket, they win.

2. The average height of the squad (not just the first eleven, but the entire squad) is 6 foot 1 inch.

3. They toyed with us on this Michael Ballack injury.

I'm really looking forward to this and of course I hope one team wins 4-3 after extra time, but this is a final so I don't think that's very likely  :)

Of course the Ballack story was hyped, it is a European Championship and if there is the slightest possibility an important player will miss out, it's going to turn into "NN misses final". I wonder how the Spanish will handle missing their top scorer, though. Torres' finishing hasn't been top notch and against Germany I think he'll need just that. They won't be handed many opportunities.

I'm quite indifferent regarding who will win - I just hope for an entertaining match.

I think Torres Villa will play today -not from the start though -he'll enter around the 70' -but not in the case than Spain wins with something like 2-0
you see what I mean -don't you ?

Well, what can one say? I missed on my predictions, but that doesn't matter. Spain were more inspired, worked harder, were more precise and they deserved to win this match. They deserve a big  :applause:

Spain really impressed me in this tournament, now we can safely say that it was the most serious and constant team of EURO 2008
Pouyol did some mistakes  :mad:-one of them could be a fatal one
There were some moments tonight that I got really wowed -and Torres is a first class player
Where was Germany ? No-one knows, exept this shot of Ballack it was dissapeared
but still, Germans are Germans so I was afraid of them till the end
A big congrats to Italians who without Pirlo, Gatouzo and Cannavaro managed not to loose against this wonder team

I am absolutely and totally happy with the results of this tournament. We had some great surprises (Russia, Turkey) and a deserved winning team that played some amazing and beautiful Football (none of that ultra defensive stuff like in euro 2004). Congratulations to Spain, I was overjoyed with their play during the whole tournament and the final was a great one (more goals on Spains part would have been great, but its good that the one and only one was scored by Torres he really deserved it).

Final verdict euro 2008: I approve. :)

Eddies Wingman said:
And I agree that the English traveling fans are missed. Not the portion of them that are hooligans, of course - they can stay where they are - but the rest, those who just like to drink beer and sing - yes, I miss them. I think it's a shame the English players don't seem to absorb that energy when they play with the Three Lions on their shirt. The team might not be the most exciting, but the fans are. And there are several good players in the English team as well - players that would be attractions in the tournament. So I really hope your team qualifies for the 2010 World Cup.
I'll tell you two things that the English fans wouldn't have done, which made me cringe when most of the other countries' fans did it:

1) Chant along to that White Stripes song, when it was or wasn't played over the speakers

2) hold out your arms and say "Ooooooh" when one of your own, or opposition, players is taking a freekick or corner.

The best fans of the tournament in my opinion were the Russians. Shirts off, drums banging, feet jumping, lungs bursting...brilliant.

national acrobat said:
1) Chant along to that White Stripes song, when it was or wasn't played over the speakers
For the life of me I could not think who did that, no I remember that song - and it's going to stick in my mind for the rest of the friggin' day. :D

national acrobat said:
2) hold out your arms and say "Ooooooh" when one of your own, or opposition, players is taking a freekick or corner.
That behaviour should be banned.

What I'm glad about is that we don't have to put up with Motson wittering on about England any more (especially when they don't even play) as he is calling it a day. I think he mentioned them about five times during the final - and it was all ifs and bloody buts.

Albie said:
What I'm glad about is that we don't have to put up with Motson wittering on about England any more (especially when they don't even play) as he is calling it a day. I think he mentioned them about five times during the final - and it was all ifs and bloody buts.

The only thing worse than that is the ITV commentators talking non-stop about Christiano Ronaldo, whether Portugal were playing or not, whether he was playing well or not etc.
We've had it all season in the Champions League, now in the Euros...please let him move to Real Madrid!

Back